Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misbehaving webring?
Misbehaving webring?
Hey Bob, twice now on two different machines I've been redirected to the FFML webring homepage when clicking on a link on your site -- an internal link, I mean, not one of their links.  I can't seem to reproduce it on command, but both times it's been when I first clicked on the Miscellanea menu link at the top.

Not sure if I'm just lucky or what, but thought you should know.

If it matters: both machines run Chrome as the browser, but everything else, including OS, is different.  

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Well, that's weird. Your phrasing's a bit vague, though -- was it clicking the Miscellanea link that took you to the FFML webring, or a link you clicked after clicking Miscellanea? I'm reading it as the first, but I'm just doubtful enough that I'm understanding you correctly that I want to make sure.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

From a different page on your site (the DW page in the first instance, the main page in the second), I clicked on Miscellanea in the menu.  It then flashed to the webring's home page rather than the Miscellanea page.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Okay, major weird then. Because there's no way the one could be substituted for the other.

I may be in the process of fixing this, though. It turns out that when I moved to my own domain in Spring 2011, I never updated the webrings on the new URLs. I've updated things (just this morning, in fact), but I decided to move the link on the Misc page to the main DW page. (This isn't updated on the site yet because I can't remember the arcane combination of login information I need to ftp the updates; it'll have to wait until I get home, Saturday night at the earliest.) I suspect that the webring problem might be somehow related, but I can't see how yet; and I hope that fixing their settings might keep this from happening for you again.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, ring link has been moved to DWMain; let me know if clicks on that page's menu entry take you into the webring by mistake.
ETA:  I think the problem may have been outdated or accidentally-altered scripting for the ring.  I saw the problem happen with the DWMain page, but replacing the link code with fresh code from Webring's wizard seems to have stopped it.
-- Bob
---------

Glad to know I wasn't just crazy Big Grin

I'll keep poking at the site and let you know if it happens again.  I wasn't able to reproduce it consistently the first time, or I'd just go try the same steps again.

--sofaspud

Clicking the Forum button triggers it. I was mighty confused when it happened.

...or it did anyway. I tried to replicate but now it won't happen like it did. Hrm.

The forum button? Well, crap, that's really bogus. From what page? Maybe that makes a difference -- there are only three pages with Webring code on them: DWMain, My Worlds and Greendale. Nothing else on my site should ever take you to Webring.
-- Bob
---------

Hmm..

Bob, if it helps any, I note that the pages you mention as having webring code have different rings than the *only* one I've experienced the problem with -- namely, the FFML ring.

That is to say, whenever I've been hijacked to a webring site, it's *always* been the FFML ring and no other.  The other page you mention has the Anime RPG Ring, not the FFML ring.

--sofaspud

...so has it happened on any other page than DWMain or Miscellanea before that?

And has it happened since I updated the code?
-- Bob
---------

Not to me, but I took HoagieOfDoom's post to mean that it had happened since your update.

I might well be wrong on that, though. Smile

I just went to go test it again with a fresh instance of Chrome and... the FFML webring appears to be gone.  The Anime RPG one isn't triggering it, or at least, isn't doing so to me at this moment.  Since this whole thing has been somewhat difficult to reproduce, I'm not much help, I imagine.

Edit: Curiouser and curiouser.  The FFML webring is back, where it most definitely was not just a couple minutes ago (dwmain).  Maybe it just timed out loading that first time?

--sofaspud

Weird. It is a script, so maybe yeah, it timed out. I'll have to go look at it more closely to see.
-- Bob
---------

If it helps to toss mud in the water, I've had the same thing happen to me -once- when using Firefox on this ye gods how old laptop which is now running Win XP service pack 3. I got when I jumped from google to your main site, and then clicked on the forum button. It was... 'That's a neat opps. Not what I wanted, but anyhow... BACK!' Reload DW site, hit up a different page in the DW site and then hit the forum button again and I was fine.

I'd honestly forgotten about it until I'd come across this thread. It would have been earlier this week.

Shader.

All I can do at this point is throw my hands up and shrug. It seems to be a random weirdness that no one can account for.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, this just happened to me, but not when I clicked on a link on the website. I clicked on the big green banner at the top of this forum.

I very briefly saw the DW homepage, but was then redirected to the FFML webring page. Backing up and clicking on the big green banner a second time provided the expected result...

Running SeaMonkey here.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Okay, the next time I sit down to edit the site, I'm pulling the webring stuff entirely.
-- Bob
---------