Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Awesome than Awesome: MW5
More Awesome than Awesome: MW5
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/18954/mec ... 70709.html

I... the shiny... the game... the WOW...

Now if only it allows for extensive customization... please please please...

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

As a Battletech fan...
...yes, that is awesome. @_@
That said, it does look... slow and awkward, and that's not precisely an exciting battle sequence. They just stand there and plink at each other. Of course, it is Battletech and not GIANT SUPER ROBOT FIGHTING. And at least our boy uses cover.
The fact you can see into the cockpit amuses me. That looks pretty cool. 
It's also kinda neat that what the player character's driving is pretty clearly a Warhammer....and the date stamp in the video says 3015, which puts it squarely in Inner Sphere territory ... inter-House war, no Clans or anything. Old school. Nice.
-- Acyl

First, SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Second,
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Looks fan-fucking-TASTIC!!

I've never played Battletech really since the early days of the boardgame. My experience with computerized versions of the game is limited to the old
Virtual World that they used to have in Dallas. But I've kept up vaguely with happenings in the world, read many of the novels (my favorites being the ones
that followed Greyson Death Carlyle and The Grey Death Legion), and I've perused the tech manuals of friends who were more deeply into it then I was. So I
have a basic understanding of things.

I too hold the whole Clan period somewhat at arms length. I dislike certain aspects of it, while other parts are kind of cool. But I much prefer the classic
"House Wars" period of Battletech and the machines that went with it.

This looks like a move in the RIGHT direction to me. And also looks like a good time to jump back in to the hobby as a whole!

The Clans are all right. I mean, they're disgusting idiots, but ultimately they're losers that can be worked with/around. It's not like this is a shiny happy 'verse, after all. But the Word of Blake and the 'Dark Age' backstory that's been railroaded after them makes me froth at the mouth...

Put another way, I got started with Stackpole's Clan trilogy, so, emotionally, they've always been around - albeit as antagonists. And, emotionally, my 'faction of choice', my political loyalty so to speak, is the full Federated Commonwealth.

But playing in an earlier period not only provides all the ultraviolence any fan could like, it lets me fool myself into thinking I'm in an alternate timeline, and that this time, things will be - I can make them be - different.
===========

"Dark Age"

(SPITS)

I had just about managed to forget about THAT stupidity. I ignore anything and everything involved with that.

I have limited knowledge of how it all fits together, but I remember well the Data Caches that the Grey Death Legion found and were starting to disseminate. I
know that even though the Clan Invasion put off implementing a lot of those innovations and technologies, that the Inner Sphere started making use of it to
"bootstrap" themselves up to near or at the Clan level of tech. (In meta-reality, I'm guessing that the designers kind of FORGOT about that plot
point for several years. But oh well... feh.)

Oh I know Battletech isn't a happy shiny place. But Dark Age appears to invalidate all those sacrifices and what little hope and light was in that
universe.

In fact, it smacks of "Lets make our universe more like W40K!" I'll have no part of it.

F*ck 'Extreme Customization.'.

F*ck the Clams.

F*ck the Dork Age.

Note the initial date on the video: 3015.

THIS! IS! BATTLETECH!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

"F*ck the Clams."

Er... lad, might ye want t'be rephrasin' that just a wee bit noo?

(In before the Stalinization! ^_^ )

Hi, Logan, I've been trying to get in touch with you, Buddy!

Quote: "F*ck the Clams."

Er... lad, might ye want t'be rephrasin' that just a wee bit noo?
Which Dilbert book was it where Scott Adams suggested buying a copy for a friend, signing it with his name yourself, and if your friend asked Mr. Adams about the signature, he'd verify your clam? (It was one of the earlier books.)

All this time, I thought that was a typo for "claim"... Silly me.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Given the nature of the organization for which "Clam" is a common epithet, I
wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. Wink

--Sam

"This is what the Super Adventure Club actually believes."

Hey guys, Heres the acompanying interview for that clip Big Grin

http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p1.html

This ain't your father's Mechwarrior Smile

"I've wanted since MW3, that being a more detailed modeling of hit locations and damage"

Umm. He takes out a jenner perched on a building by dropping the building its standing on.

If they are modeling that, im sure its going to have locational damage too.

THey're also going to be releasing MW4, plus all expansions, free for the 25th ani of Battletech.

www.mektek.net

If they are modeling that, im sure its going to have locational damage too.

Hardly; give the building one 'damage location', then model falling. Simple to do with the same 'limb and torso' model that we've always had.

Nevertheless, the interview leaves me cautiously optimistic.
===========

I made a slight 'squee' at the sight of the Warhammer, and I noted the interview pointing out that buildings have weight tolerances, giving lighter
jump jet mechs like the Jenner there an interesting advantage (In fact, they noted they're trying a different approach to the older games
light-medium-heavy-assault progression), but all that matters to me right now... Is the moment in the video that the Warhammer steps through the smoke... and
finds himself looking up at an Atlas.

That, right there, is the embodiment of the 'Oh CRAP' moment. Smile

Quote: Matrix Dragon wrote:

I made a slight 'squee' at the sight of the Warhammer, and I noted the interview pointing out that buildings have weight tolerances, giving lighter
jump jet mechs like the Jenner there an interesting advantage (In fact, they noted they're trying a different approach to the older games
light-medium-heavy-assault progression), but all that matters to me right now... Is the moment in the video that the Warhammer steps through the smoke... and
finds himself looking up at an Atlas.

I got to admire the sheer arrogance and admire the pilot of the Atlas who slips into the smoke to set up the effect Big Grin

Quote: WengFook wrote:

Quote: Matrix Dragon wrote:

light-medium-heavy-assault progression), but all that matters to me right now... Is the moment in the video that the Warhammer steps through the smoke...
and finds himself looking up at an Atlas.

I got to admire the sheer arrogance and admire the pilot of the Atlas who slips into the smoke to set up the effect Big Grin

Well, it's an Atlas. Ego and Style come with the mech.

...Hmn. I just had a kind of a thought.

See, something I really wanted to see in MW4 - besides individual hits and scars modeling into the armor in real time - was individual weapon models. ACs
looking one way, Gausses another, PPCs a third, and so on. And I suspect that the latter, at least, will be a feature of this game, given modern hardware
assumptions.

And then it occurred to me to wonder... how far from that, to full ground-up design?
===========

Thread-necro, I know, but...

Aw, -DAMMIT-. Why can't Harmony Gold just go away and DIE?

http://kotaku.com/5352295...-runs-into-legal-trouble

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/102/1021438p1.html

(Yes, I know, I'm a little behind the times, but still... >_

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I liked one of the readers' comments. "Why can't all the religious icons in the world (Jesus, Buddha, Allah, etc.) get together, form a
corporation, and sue everyone on Earth for ripping off the human form?"

That's about the level of absurdity I'm reading there, yes.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Yeah, Sofa, you are behind ze times. Besides HG has pulled the rug from under itself as the only similarity I can see between the featured MW5 Warhammer and a
Tomahawk is the silhouette, that's all.