Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IV

Good news, Bob. Finally got your MediaWikiPlayer extension, will be testing it in a day or two, then will deploy if it works well.

Also, John has been smashing bugs left and right, hopefully the 504s will taper off with them.

Yes, but is John's hammer as cute as Bjarnil? Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Excellent, Geth! Thank you!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Excellent, Geth! Thank you!

Bad news, Bob.

Turns out part of the extensions main PHP file needs a few edits to remove some idiotic rendering behavoir that renders the media unable to load properly, but the instructions given on the talk page for the extension are incredibly vague.

I already asked for some clarification, but until then, the extension does not work properly.

No problem, I'm patient. Could you clarify something for me, though? Because I'm short on sleep and easily confused -- MediaWikiPlayer and Listen are the same thing, or Listen is dependent upon MediaWikiPlayer?
-- Bob
---------

That template works with the TimedMediaHandler extension (via a Lua Module), which only plays OGG files (you can convert MP3 files to OGG if you need to), and that would be far easier to install.

If you want, I could easily do that.

It also supports a few other related formats, and any formats it doesn't support will need the files converted for uploading or linked to places with TimedMediaHandler friendly formatting.

Here's more info:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... diaHandler

P.S. - Places like Youtube offer links in TMH friendly formats, as do some other audio/video hosting services.

Okay, despite almost 8 hours' sleep I'm still groggy, but I think maximum flexibility is best, and unless I'm completely braindead this morning it sounds like MediaWikiPlayer fits the bill. I must have missed something in Listen's docs that mentioned TimedMediaHandler.

Either way, you're the person up on MediaWiki tech. I'm just a content kinda guy, so I defer to your judgment and Brent's.

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Okay, despite almost 8 hours' sleep I'm still groggy, but I think maximum flexibility is best, and unless I'm completely braindead this morning it sounds like MediaWikiPlayer fits the bill. I must have missed something in Listen's docs that mentioned TimedMediaHandler.

Either way, you're the person up on MediaWiki tech. I'm just a content kinda guy, so I defer to your judgment and Brent's.

Thanks.

I'll be happy to add MediaWikiPlayer as soon as I get a good idea of the extension mods I need to do.

TimedMediaHandler can work alongside it with no issues, so I was going to install that for now so we have some media options, and I'll add MWPlayer once I get that mod info.

I'm happy knowing the feature I want is in the queue; whenever it happens is great. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Sometime in the last half hour, all styling has vanished. Pages are blank white with no special features/markup, and the wiki menu (edit, etc.) is not there.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Sometime in the last half hour, all styling has vanished. Pages are blank white with no special features/markup, and the wiki menu (edit, etc.) is not there.
Fire's out. HHVM wasn't restarted when the server was rebooted last night, we're good now.

Yeah, I noticed - thanks! Wish I could do more than just raise a flag when something like this happens.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Yeah, I noticed - thanks! Wish I could do more than just raise a flag when something like this happens.

John already added a system check to prevent random HHVM flameout again.

Also, just added OGG support, but ansible is being retarded and not uploading the extensions properly yet (I'll see if it clears up tomorrow), but we can still link OGG files directly and people can click on the links to listen to the audio.

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/User:GethN7/sandbox (example here)

P.S. - For now, we'd probably have to do this sort of linking for other files, but I'm working on making this work by being able to upload files to the server and play them inside a flash window.

504s, script errors, vanishing styles, all happening pretty much at random... it's a typical day in the neighborhood, kids.
-- Bob
---------

I know, looking into it.

If any of my wishlist items are responsible, dump them, okay? We can ease them back in later.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:If any of my wishlist items are responsible, dump them, okay? We can ease them back in later.

Totally unrelated. Remember how we got the HHVM thing fixed? Well, turns out HHVM is a drooling retard that refuses to play nice with everything else unless we specifically give it marching orders, so John is currently doing that. It was draggng down every other process as a result, give us awhile and we'll hopefully have this sorted out.

* facepalm*

Edit:We should be good now.

Nope. HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors for the last hour or so. I had thought it was probably due to deep fixes being made, but...
EDIT:  And maybe it was.  Everything is back now, less than an hour later. 
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Nope. HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors for the last hour or so. I had thought it was probably due to deep fixes being made, but...

EDIT:  And maybe it was.  Everything is back now, less than an hour later.

HHVM is finally fixed, but we probably won't have any direct media display extensions on the wiki for awhile due to the fact it involve the database having to run transcoding jobs on the server manually, and that can cause heavy resource strain.

We can, however, direct link to audio/video files for playback, and I updated the latest Wiki Updates thread with instructions on doing so, please review things and let me know if we need to do any changes.

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/For ... iles._1778

Cool. When my life settles down a bit I'll start collecting sound files and putting them on the relevant pages.

Might be cool if folks could think of pages that could make use of short video clips since we can do that now, too.
-- Bob
---------

Does anyone else find Nerdanel as ... um ... abrasive, or maybe annoying, as I do?
-- Bob
---------

(goes and looks at his(?) user page and user talk page)

That's an odd wording: "I appreciate that you dared to apologize." Nerdanel doesn't appear to be a native speaker of a language other than English...

But that's just one datum.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hi everyone, long time no post.  I see someone made thread IV, that's exciting.  Work has been very busy, but things are starting to slow down for a bit.
Quote:Does anyone else find Nerdanel as ... um ... abrasive, or maybe annoying, as I do?
Abrasive users are kind of a troper thing.
We have a site statistics tracker now:  http://prod6.orain.org/ganglia/ Only one day of data shows high memory use seems to be a surprisingly regular phenomenon, as in periodic at 20 minutes.  Hopefully we can shake out why 504 errors are so gorram common.
I've suggested increasing the server plan, because more hardware covereth a multitude of sins -- at least to see if it would help.  After all, hardware is cheaper than programmer/sysop time.  Right now, Orain's Digital Ocean plans work out to be 480US$ annually, the vast majority of which is supporting ATT.  Not that the relationship isn't symbiotic.  Anyway, a server increase would be an additional $5 a month, or one less complete Sub Club card over a year.  Honestly, I think the entire amount of $540 would be trivial to fundraise, for reasons that include the fact that I could probably just give half of that without even noticing it.  I mean one less Spicy Italian B.M.T. a week -- I'm pretty sure I could live without that insofar as I don't actually like Subway and $20 a month is pretty trivial in the first world.
That's not really a call for donations, but really just a point that we need to start thinking about supporting our costs, and how we would go about that.  And we might be able to afford a little more luxury with server abilities.
-- ∇×V

Just to chip in my two cents on the issue, I can confirm everything Vorticity has to say from my end via my shell access (the server with ATT's database consumes a lot of overhead), and ATT has the heaviest resource load so far out of everything on Orain (our one wiki eats more resources than all the rest on Orain by a sizable margin).

I concur springing to extend our current server setup will definitely provide more servers to spread around the resource cost and will keep ATT from 504'ing constantly, or at the very least drastically reduce the frequency this occurs, and I just got a paypal account set up so I can toss some dollars in the hat if I have to as well.

Once things shake out here financially -- see other thread in this forum for one of several reasons why -- I do intend to contribute as well.

One question, though... why are we getting 403 Forbidden errors now?
-- Bob
---------