Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part V

This is a bit more adverse. We're getting sporadic 500 errors when trying to read or save pages.
Edit:  And a few minutes after I posted that, I was trying to http://allthetropes.orain.org/w/index. ... ction=edit]edit Rune Solder Louie.  I got several 500s in a row, followed by
Quote:[b5eb8853] 2015-02-23 17:23:09: Fatal exception of type MWException

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm having no problems on the freebie wiki, so this issue is ATT-only. (It's good to have a second, smaller instance that we can check against...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Joy.

Meanwhile, in the last hour or so, the 500s have gone from sporadic to about 50% of the time. And when it happens while you're trying to save a page, it nukes everything you did -- resubmitting your way through 500s eventually drops you back into an edit page with all your changes gone.
-- Bob
---------

500s stopped about ninety minutes ago. Thank god.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:500s stopped about ninety minutes ago. Thank god.

Just checked, some server settings were changed yesterday, the errors must have been the changes percolating through the farm.

We're singing the happy 504 song this morning. Rob, are your wikis down, too? Or is it just ATT?
-- Bob
---------

Wiki's up, but I'm getting the "Wiki uses cookies to log in users" message so I can't log in.

(You do http://poserdazfreebies.orain.org/wiki ... oney_Toons]have a sandbox there, Bob...)

EDIT: 1.25 hours later, I'm able to log in. No problems editing the freebie wiki RE-EDIT: or ATT.
--
Rob Kelk

I did not know I had a sandbox there. Thanks for letting me know.
-- Bob
---------

Geth, I just noticed -- our Twitter feed still has the old logo.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Geth, I just noticed -- our Twitter feed still has the old logo.

I'll ask Brent to update it.

Hey, that's nifty...

I just upgraded to Firefox version 36 - and I can add any Orain wiki's search function to the browser's search box. Just go to any page on the wiki and you'll see a green plus sign overlaying part of the magnifying glass icon at the left edge of the search box. Click on that plus sign and the drop-down gives you the option to add the site to the search settings.

Of course, this means now you don't have the excuse of not being on the site to not look up a trope...
--
Rob Kelk

I'm thinking of adding something new to our Community Portal: Wiki Projects.

Much like Wikipedia's wikiprojects, these will be specific, ongoing tasks that can be specifically taken up by interested tropers. They will be completely voluntary, it will just be something tropers can invest themselves in for the betterment of the wiki. I was also going to include userboxes so people who are members can add them to their userpages.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, anyone got any ideas for Wiki Projects we can start?

GethN7 Wrote:...
If anyone thinks this is a good idea, anyone got any ideas for Wiki Projects we can start?
Have we recovered everything that's Banned on TVTropes yet?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:

Most items, but there might be more on the Wayback Machine we missed.

I was also considering starting the following projects

YMMV Elimination Squad (YES): removing inappropriate YMMV entries on main work pages (unless invoked in the story)
Death of Troper Tales (DOTT): excising all "Troper Tales".
Trivial Entry Decimators (TED): removing inappropriate Trivia entries on main work pages and putting them on appropriate work pages.

It's just an idea for now, but I figured it might be fun and useful.

I like this, yes. Another project might be the elimination of Character Tropes on main pages when character pages exist. I know I'm guilty of that on occasion.
-- Bob
---------

I meant to post this last night -- a little vicarious pleasure at TVT's expense, thanks to the http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/bizarre- ... ortal.html]article I linked over in Other People's Fanfiction. In reference to the infamous fanfic "My Immortal":
Quote:Many of the era’s more vicious online communities seemed to agree that the story was legitimately written by a teenage girl, and they joined in the hate. Notable sources of abuse were TVtropes.com; LiveJournals devoted to mocking bad fic; the SomethingAwful.com forums; YTMND.com; and the still-nascent world of YouTube, where users would upload “dramatic readings” of the text’s more mockable passages.
I just love how TVT was at the head of the line for "vicious communities".
-- Bob
---------

Hey, guys? What's the purpose behind the
Quote:{{substSad(}}{{subst:#if:$1|work}}{{substSmile)}}
code I'm seeing here and there in the history? It's not actually visible in the pages when I edit, but I'm guessing it's responsible for things like making the title of http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/End ... Game/Funny]Ender's Game/Funny display as "Ender's Gameny", both on the page and on the browser tab/caption. (Just to one out of many, many examples.)
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Hey, guys? What's the purpose behind the
Quote:{{substSad(}}{{subst:#if:$1|work}}{{substSmile)}}
code I'm seeing here and there in the history? It's not actually visible in the pages when I edit, but I'm guessing it's responsible for things like making the title of http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/End ... Game/Funny display as "Ender's Gameny", both on the page and on the browser tab/caption. (Just to one out of many, many examples.)

Vorticity is currently tweaking his code to fix those issues.

Cool.
-- Bob
---------

That's a good trick... The category cloud for She's Got Legs includes "Unisex Tropes" and "Always Female".

What's the usual procedure for this sort of contradiction? Just drop one, or have a discussion about it first?
--
Rob Kelk

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:

Most items, but there might be more on the Wayback Machine we missed.
I just discovered a set of pages that are technically present, but completely devoid of examples: "These examples were temporarily removed pending a TRS thread on the matter. They will be preserved, but please do not add any more. Thanks."

I've tagged Freud Was Right and its subpages with "Needs More Examples" lacking a better option. Perhaps somebody could run a bot to look for the phrase "pending a TRS thread" and make a list of neutered pages...?
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
That's a good trick... The category cloud for She's Got Legs includes "Unisex Tropes" and "Always Female".
What's the usual procedure for this sort of contradiction? Just drop one, or have a discussion about it first?
I'd drop the obvious dumb one without worrying about a consensus first.
-- Bob
---------

Well, half our legal battle has been won with TV Tropes, press release here:

http://gethn7.blogspot.com/2015/03/curr ... -with.html

Yay! That makes 90% of my conflict with them moot.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Yay! That makes 90% of my conflict with them moot.

The remaining issue strikes me as more serious: reverting the license back to CC BY SA since it was illegally changed to CC BY NC SA.

As long as that's in effect, you and anyone else who submitted anything before the change has a legit right to be legally mad.