Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VI

Whatever it was, it faded away in about 90 minuts.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Or minutes. Either way.

And because I can't seem to get into the IRC channel at the moment, I wanted to send up a flag -- my bot just caught the following error, which sounds ominous enough that I wanted to bring it to Geth and/or Brent's attention:
Quote:[6b1049ab] Exception Caught: Database serialization may cause problems, since the connection is not restored on wakeup.
I'm pretty sure that's not originating in my bot code, and it sounds like a Wiki error that got relayed back to my error handler.
EDIT:  And no sooner do I post that than the wiki starts throwing 504 errors again.
-- Bob
---------

I was trying to get SSL (HTTPS) for allthetropes.org set up, but my domain registrar's deal doesn't want to sign the bare domain, and I don't want to bother with www -- even though I paid for it. So we'll wait another month or two for Let's Encrypt to get operational. You know, the free service. Since Miraheze is currently hosting our DNS, he should be able to do it on his own.

Fenspace should also plan on getting a cert, because their domain serves up someone else's certificate.
-- ∇×V

BTW, Brent, do we have any kind of ETA for getting things like the YouTube embedder and the hover-and-show thing for footnotes back? Or do we have a lot of other stuff still in the queue?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:BTW, Brent, do we have any kind of ETA for getting things like the YouTube embedder and the hover-and-show thing for footnotes back? Or do we have a lot of other stuff still in the queue?

We have a Youtube extension again, the rest is in the queue.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:YouTube

Some stuff is still undergoing security review, turns out some vunerabilities and bugs were detected in some of our wanted extensions, but it's coming along.

VisualEditor was removed, got complaints of poor performance from it, should also give us more server performance since we don't have to serve a Parsoid instance.

P.S. - We do have a non-Popups extension hover and show gadget, was going to experiment with making it a default gadget to make sure it loads right, tends to be slow to load otherwise. Popups is better, but I can give us the next best thing until it's fully enabled.

Cool! Sorry if I seem impatient -- it's just with all the pages I've looked at since I got my bot working, I'm seeing a lot of as-yet nonfunctional things and I want them to work now. ?grin>
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Cool! Sorry if I seem impatient -- it's just with all the pages I've looked at since I got my bot working, I'm seeing a lot of as-yet nonfunctional things and I want them to work now. ?grin>
We got Multiboilerplate, PageTriage, and SectionHide working now.

Other features are coming, and they recently installed Varnish caching, which should drastically improve load times.

Aargh - getting 502s on the freebie wiki again.

(Just when I was about to make a backup, too. I had even entered the list of pages into the Export Pages box just before the 502s started to show up...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Aargh - getting 502s on the freebie wiki again.

(Just when I was about to make a backup, too. I had even entered the list of pages into the Export Pages box just before the 502s started to show up...)

I was informed the new caching method might cause some hiccups, let me know if they persist.

Well, the 502s hit ATT last night around 10-11 PM. And they're there now.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well, the 502s hit ATT last night around 10-11 PM. And they're there now.

Problem should be fixed now, HHVM issues, currently being looked into to see why it happened.

Thanks. I made the backup this morning (while Yuku was down...)
--
Rob Kelk

It would seem internal ATT links produce two different preview popups that provide identical information. You may wish to eliminate one to keep things clean and simple.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Ankhani Wrote:It would seem internal ATT links produce two different preview popups that provide identical information. You may wish to eliminate one to keep things clean and simple.

It's probably the Navigation Popups gadget/Popups butting heads.

I'm going to remove the gadget since the extension does the same thing.

...And tonight my first major set of bot changes is complete. I have more to come, but I'd like to shut off my PC for the first time in a few weeks. The vast majority of trope pages should have examples templates and most of the works pages should have tropelists. I know not everything got found and changed, but I want to rewrite my bot code to be a bit smarter and more efficient before go after the rest of my wishlist.

I've also been restoring images, but since that's been manual it's been piecemeal and as the mood took me. I've got an idea on how to automate that, as well...

Say, Geth, when was the last time we did a backup of the wiki? Between the bots and the new users, we're probably due one.
-- Bob
---------

Backup early, backup often.

(I did two backups of the freebie wiki today... but I also restored a few dozen freebie-wiki pages from Google/Yahoo cache today. Of course, the freebie wiki is only at 85MB of text at the moment.)
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...And tonight my first major set of bot changes is complete. I have more to come, but I'd like to shut off my PC for the first time in a few weeks. The vast majority of trope pages should have examples templates and most of the works pages should have tropelists. I know not everything got found and changed, but I want to rewrite my bot code to be a bit smarter and more efficient before go after the rest of my wishlist.

I've also been restoring images, but since that's been manual it's been piecemeal and as the mood took me. I've got an idea on how to automate that, as well...

Say, Geth, when was the last time we did a backup of the wiki? Between the bots and the new users, we're probably due one.

I've been in contact with SPF about that very issue, and we have a problem that means we WILL have wait a month before doing so, but the reason makes perfect sense;

Several attempts to make XML/SQL dumps have gone down in flames due to database errors. While the errors are not entirely fatal and could be ignored, the dumps would retain them and any subsequent restorations would have the same issues.

Thankfully, it's not permanent.

One, SPF has cobbled together a script to revise half of the problem. The other half is due to the fact we use the LQT extension, which, once MW 1.26 comes out (in a month), will be upgraded to Flow, then the LQT table (which has the issues, and has our discussions in LQT format) will be dropped, leaving us the Flow table, which won't have the issues, and we won't lose our discussions. We will have our backups done when this happens, since the issues preventing smoothly done backups will cease at this point.

(I did ask if they could just ignore the busted LQT tables and make quick and dirty backups, which are possible, but SPF really doesn't want to do that since restoring from one could lead to an even messier restore than last time, which he understandably counseled against and which I concur on his judgment with)

Also, no need to worry about our servers in the meantime. DDoSes haven't happened in a while, they are ever vigilant against that, and we have a caching service on at the moment as a further shield against sudden data loss.

P.S. - These errors were also partially responsible for our image restore issues, which is also being resolved as time permits.

Well, let's cross our fingers and hope nothing horrible happens between now and then.

Update, SQL dumps can be made, but XML's are still out for now.

Is there a reason why I can't create pages?
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

Seraviel Wrote:Is there a reason why I can't create pages?

Try now. Part of our spam protection prevents noobs from vcreating new pages without promotion (done now), and the auto page creator on the sidebar is broke for now, so you have to create new pages manually.

Quote:GethN7 wrote:
Quote:Seraviel wrote:
Is there a reason why I can't create pages?

Try now. Part of our spam protection prevents noobs from vcreating new pages without promotion (done now), and the auto page creator on the sidebar is broke for now, so you have to create new pages manually.
I'm trying to figure out where I can create a new Fanfic page, and I'm not finding it. A little help svp?  

Seraviel Wrote:
Quote:GethN7 wrote:
Quote:Seraviel wrote:Is there a reason why I can't create pages?

I'm trying to figure out where I can create a new Fanfic page, and I'm not finding it. A little help svp?

We don't divide the "works" pages up by medium the way TVTropes does - just create a page in the main namespace (the one you get if you don't specify anything else). Add the string [[Category:Fanfic] to the bottom of the page to get the page to show up on the list of fanfics.

EDIT: Oh, and since Geth mentioned the automatic page creator isn't working... add the string {{work}} at the very top of the page to show it's a Work page, not a Trope page.

Like so:

{{work}}
Your page goes here
[[Category:Fanfic]
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]

The "PAGENAME" line creates a new category for the page, with the same name as the name of the page.
--
Rob Kelk

Thank you, and done. New page up for Heir of the Bruce. I'll probably add a few more, since I know most authors like having them (I know I do).

One other bit of help that Rob failed to mention, Seraviel --  there's no need to type out a header to top the list of tropes on a work.  Just put
Code:
{{tropelist}}
I just made that change on your page, in fact, a half-hour ago.
Similarly, for the examples list on a trope page, just put
Code:
{{examples}}
-- Bob
---------