Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Installment in the Saga of Weird Coincidences
Another Installment in the Saga of Weird Coincidences
Okay, I've suspected since just after the election that I might have known the First Lady in college -- at least, I have vague recollections of knowing a
"Michelle Robinson" at Princeton who might have become Michelle Obama. Big deal -- several hundred or more people could make the same claim, easily.

But when, in the course of doublechecking some info on one of my old employers, I discover that Barack Obama and I both worked at the same (small, nay, tiny)
company in New York City within a couple years of each other, I start looking over my shoulder.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

He's a politician! He worked?! (Disclosure: I voted for him; this is non-partisan politico-bashing.)

But yeah, that's mildly eerie. The odd coincidence that gives me a shiver is the number of times I've opened a book at random
-- sometimes not even sure it was the right book -- and found myself immediately looking at the passage I
wanted to check. On a few occasions, my thumb has been pointing directly at the words. And this has happened with books I didn't own, so it wasn't
always a case of the spine being creased to open at a favorite spot.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I dunno, the book thing could as easily be considered a skill, tapping into the kind of detail memory for how far into the book the info you want is, like a
subject under hypnotic regression can with details that make no conscious impression. I trained myself in it when I was into the Rifts setting in a big way -
with 50 or so books, finding the exact gun or cyber part would take forever without it. I attribute passing History and Sociology to that, since names, dates,
and psychobabble zip out of my head.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I tend to anticipate what other people want, or what they're about to say. For people my age, with the right personality and set of interests, this causes
us to say the same things at the same times, and sometimes say the exact same thing in unison.

For anybody else, this causes me to start doing something, only for them to look over and tell me to do that very thing. The number of times a week this
happens is high enough that I would shiver, if I weren't too busy grinding my teeth and muttering.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Hey BlueMage, your real name wouldn't be Walter O'Reilly would it? 8D

Sadly, no. That sounds like an awesome name.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.