Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And this is why.....
And this is why.....
Robbing college
students can be a dangerous proposition.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

I've got a sword sitting at the head of my bed. And a mace ... well, I won't tell you where that is, just in
case you're the one I have to use it on someday. There're plenty of other blades tucked away around my house, too, as well as the ones in plain sight.
It's not just college students.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Wow. That is simply awesome. Now I must see what my Mother and my girlfriend think of this.

My Mother because she lives in Laurel and my Dad actually works at Johns Hopkins.

My girlfriend because I'm curious to see her reaction to the news of an American geek killing an intruder with a katana.
On swords and self defence
Okay, I will drag on my subject matter expert hat (Well, helmet actually)

What most people have in their houses are not swords - they are sword like objects. While these can be lethal, they can also be dangerous and unpredictable in
their behavior when used for the actual purpose of fighting. Bad steel breaks in unusual ways - this is the video I tell all my students to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXNKYX3CXU

The second. While a weapon in hand feels good, and safe, any time you bring one into a fight, it should be with the full knowledge that if you do bring it, it
has the capacity to used against you; especially if you are not particularly trained or skilled in the use of a weapon. Swords are wonderful and versatile
things, but they do require skill to use properly. Based on the various reports I read, the suspect suffered an amputation defensive wound and a chest wound.
This is consistent with an attack that demonstrated edge awareness - or a lot of luck on the part of the swordsman.

The student was lucky, but should be able to prove self defence in the situation.

I would guess here are more swords (Actual swords - not sword like objects) in my house than any three other board members combined - but in a break in, it
would not be the swords I would go for (and no I am not a gun owner).

Shayne

I know what you mean. An old ex-girlfriend of mine had a few sword-like objects - she aptly called them 'Wall Hangers' since that's all they were
good for.

If I were ever to buy a sword, though, I'd get it from these guys. They have outstanding quality for 'mass
produced' products.

I had a "wallhanger" -- an Indian-made cavalry saber. Still have it, in fact, but I took it to college with me. My friend Gabriela once grabbed it
right off the wall and chased a mutual friend through the halls of our residential college while waving it after he said something that mock-offended her, back
in my freshman year.... Ah, wonderful memories.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I miss our wallhangers.. If the lever-action rifle on the wall is loaded, sighted-in, and fully functional, does it make it more or less embarassing to get
butt-stroked by it?

To digress, though, the deadliest home-defense weapon I've ever heard of was used against a home invader by a drug dealer. I used to be friends with the
drug dealer in question (had to ditch him when he moved from marijuana to meth), and at one point, a home invader was deterred when the cat, who was passed out
on the shelf above the door, woke up and jumped him. 6 pounds of pissed-off, fully-clawed feline wrapped around this gentleman's thinky-part was more than
enough to convince him to exit, stage left, with a great quickness.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

I hear that Siamese is a particularly nasty breed to deal with in cases like these. A friend of my Father's had the bloodstains on the walls of his house
to prove it when he returned from a two-week TAD one day.

there is nothing in the world nastier than a hollow-point Persian at 1050 FPS?

....@_@
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Oh no, that would be Messy-and-Fatal, not Nasty. Nasty is something you might survive.