Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Work Continues
The Work Continues
After Robert Jordan died back in 2007 (may he rest in peace), I thought that the Wheel of Time book series would end up sitting idle. But to my eternal Glee,
a new author, Brandon Sanderson, was picked by Jordan's wife to finish the series.

Now, Jordan's finale to the series was long enough that is it being split into 3 books. with the newest one, The Gathering Storm is due out in early
November.

this little bit of news made my day.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
our glory will prevail

At least it's someone who can WRITE, unlike Kevin Blech Anderson!
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Y'know, I *like* some of Kevin Anderson's works. I don't get the hate on for him.

Well, I read Kevin J. Anderson's Star Wars books when I was...hm...13 or 14, something like. I really enjoyed them then.
I doubt I'd appreciate them as much now - but that's not the point. I enjoyed them then.
It's sorta like Piers Anthony, I suspect. I read a crapload of Xanth when I was a kid. Today...I really wouldn't. But that's pretty common, innit? I'm hardly unique in that respect.
All the same, there are some Piers Anthony books which I have read more recently, and do still think is good.
However, most folks associate him with Xanth.
Likewise, while I don't doubt Kevin J. Anderson must have some good work...I think most folks associate him more with the mass-market things he's done. Like the Star Wars books. Or the Dune stuff, which seems to draw particular ire from Herbert fans.
Myself, I just figure they should get Brandon Sanderson to finish Song of Ice and Fire.
Yes, I know George R.R. Martin isn't dead.
But c'mon, you know Martin's never gonna finish it.
If nothing else, his crazy irate readers will murder him if Dance of Dragons takes another few years. Wink
-- Acyl

I think they should get Sanderson to take Song of Ice and Fire, dump it in a rocket, and fire it into the Sun. I *HATE* that series with the fury of a thousand
exploding supernovae.

Only good thing Martin has *ever* done was the Wild Card books, and that's primarily because his main role was as editor, he left most of the actual heavy
lifting to more skilled people.

Oh, and Anderson's Game Earth books are excellent.

Quote: Acyl wrote:

Yes, I know George R.R. Martin isn't dead.

But c'mon, you know Martin's never gonna finish it.

If nothing else, his crazy irate readers will murder him if Dance of Dragons takes another few years. Wink
He seems to have every intention of at least finishing Dance. Or so he says in his blog. And if the HBO pilot takes off, he'll need to finish
the series.

And not all of his fans are that crazed. Some of us agree with Gaiman; George RR Martin is not our bitch.

David Gerrold, on the other hand, best get off his fucking ass and either finish War Against the Chtorr or write some more Star Wolf novels, or I'm gonna
have to have words with him.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

As far as Martin is concerned, I rather like the Havilland Tuf stories ... and "The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr," which Roger Zelazny described as one
of the few stories by someone else which Zelazny wished he had written. In fact, I bought Martin's collection Portraits of
His Children
solely because it had "The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr" in it. There are some others in that collection I
liked, but I bought it for that one story. (I never want to read "The Second Kind of Loneliness" again -- it's brilliant, but for me it's too
much like looking in the mirror.) I've never read any of Song of Ice and Fire, though, so I can't offer an opinion on that.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

.... This is the last time I post something book-related.
our glory will prevail

our glory will prevail

Quote: Drenivian wrote:

.... This is the last time I post something book-related.

Why? We're on topic. Well, sort of; we're talking about fantasy authors. Smile
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Mmm.....maybe once one of those books actually comes out, I might be persuaded to pick up the series again. I bogged down something fierce in Winter's
Heart because, being I really couldn't handle that much wonderful gender based conflict after essentially powering through up to that point over the course
of a couple months. That and having more interesting books to read.

If Sanderson does take over, I know most people are going to complain about his style being different, but if we can dump the two paragraph descriptions of
clothes, multiple times, every book, then I'd take the change gladly, and not just because the series would be getting finished.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Dren, actually, I kinda knew about all this anyway. My wife works at a bookstore, and is often in the know on this sort of thing.

As for the series, I enjoyed the first book or three, but I had a hard time keeping everything straight and *caring*. I hope Sanderson does a good job with it,
just to make everyone happy.