Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Cursed Thread of 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Writer and blogger Chris Meadows, known better on the 'net as Robotech_Master, passed on this morning.

He was struck in a hit-and-run the other day and suffered severe head injuries, and never regained consciousness. This morning he went into cardiac arrest and did not recover.

https://teleread.org/2020/10/14/r-i-p-ch...-his-life/
In distinctly un-Amazing news, James Randi has died at 92 this past Tuesday.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t...dies-at-92
Iconic Minnesota Sports reporter Sid Hartman dead at age 100 https://www.startribune.com/sid-hartman-...572788662/
The most iconic 007 of all time, Sir Sean Connery, has passed away at age 90.  He also played other roles... https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Here's a charming idea... lets rewind to this time last year and try again?
Decades ago, a friend of mine pointed out that while posters for the films often said, "__ as James Bond," Connery was the only actor for whom such an advertisement ever read "Sean Connery is James Bond" (You Only Live Twice, 1967, and the underlining of "is" was part of the poster).

I'll just add that the poster image, showing 007 surrounded by beauties in a large Japanese bath, was re-used for a Demotivator reading, "CHARISMA:  There are reasons not to make it a dump stat...."
Ah sure. He went to sleep and just didn't wake up. Nothing wrong with that. We should all be so lucky.

Also. ZARDOZ was a thing.
of all things, the first movie i remember Sean Connery from was Highlander

loved his Bond, and going out with "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was a hell of a cap to his career
5:30 and the phone rings. The dreaded (1) call has come ...

RIP Gertrud Kupries, beloved mom, June 17, 1944 to Nov 3, 2020.

No website, no news to link to, which would mention that passing, nobody important to the World. Just me, my sister, pops, friends and relatives. Born near the end of WW2, second youngest of five sisters, grown up during the german rebuilding, worked as a maid, married my father, a stay-at-home mom to me and my sister, a cleaner for hire, a night nurse, a painter in retirement. I am proud that she used some of my pics from around Vancouver for some of her paintings.

And F*k cancer.

(1) She became unconscious last Tuesday, a few hours after I spoke with her on the phone. Since then it was just waiting for the body to follow. But she knew she was loved.
(11-03-2020, 09:38 AM)aku Wrote: [ -> ]5:30 and the phone rings. The dreaded (1) call has come ...

No website, no news to link to, which would mention that passing, nobody important to the World. Just me, my sister, pops, friends and relatives. Born near the end of WW2, second youngest of five sisters, grown up during the german rebuilding, worked as a maid, married my father, a stay-at-home mom to me and my sister, a cleaner for hire, a night nurse, a painter in retirement. I am proud that she used some of my pics from around Vancouver for some of her paintings.

And F*k cancer.

(1) She became unconscious last Tuesday, a few hours after I spoke with her on the phone. Since then it was just waiting for the body to follow. But she knew she was loved.

Condolences. Parents are important. Particularly mothers. I personally still daily miss my father and he's been gone 6 years.

She knew she was loved. That's important. Focus on the good memories.
You have our deepest sympathies, aku.
(11-03-2020, 10:14 AM)Shader Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2020, 09:38 AM)aku Wrote: [ -> ]5:30 and the phone rings. The dreaded (1) call has come ...

And F*k cancer.

Condolences. Parents are important. Particularly mothers. I personally still daily miss my father and he's been gone 6 years.

Oh I do (hoarse voice).
Even so, the heavy rain for Vancouver right now, and the lesser in the forecast for the rest of week feels very fitting.
(11-03-2020, 10:34 AM)aku Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2020, 10:14 AM)Shader Wrote: [ -> ]

And F*k cancer.

Oh I do (hoarse voice).
Even so, the heavy rain for Vancouver right now, and the lesser in the forecast for the rest of week feels very fitting.

Yeah. As I mentioned to the preacher when she apologized for the rain at my own mother's funeral, even heaven is crying.

I grieve with you.

And F*k cancer.

My deepest condolences.
I am so sorry for your pain.
Geoffrey Palmer, British actor, at 93.  My mother was a big fan of As Time Goes By, one of the shows he starred in (with Dame Judi Dench), and nearly all of my exposure to him was through seeing episodes of that while visiting her.

Quote:His world-weary demeanour made him instantly recognisable although it did not reflect his real character. "I'm not grumpy," he once said. "I just look this way."
Alex Trebek has gone to the great game show in the sky Sad
https://globalnews.ca/news/7450091/alex-...es-cancer/
This famous Canadian-born game-show host passed away from complications due to cancer.

Who was Alex Trebek?
(10-06-2020, 03:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]2020 sucks.

quoted for truth over and above those we lost this year.  In a lot of ways, come this thanksgiving I know what I am going to be thankful for.  That Most of these folks died of OTHER causes than THAT (BLEEPED BLEEPED BLEEPED) Virus.
After another support cable let go, the Arecibo Radio Telescope Observatory has been declared Not Safely Repairable and is to be decommissioned.

RIP, Arecibo, 1963-2020.

https://www.space.com/arecibo-observator...-destroyed
Diego Maradona Age 60, Heart Attack.
RIP Fred Sasakamoose, one of the first indigenous players in the NHL.

COVID
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10