Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Trump news
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Write-in candidates are a thing you know....
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Unfortunately, it's what he's learned. Every business he's ever owned has gone bankrupt. He uses it up, strips out all the cash, and when it dies, he files for a Chapter 11, and renegotiates its value with creditors, so that he can sell it off piecemeal and let them make do with whatever is left over.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that if he'd just invested the millions his father gave him in a good portfolio, he'd have four times the wealth he has now, just living the idle rich lifestyle. So even though he's got a lot of money, all he's really proven is that he can't manage it, and makes bad business decisions. It's too bad that's getting lost in the hype.
As for his election chances, he's tapping into the disgust and outright hatred of the political machine in America. It was perhaps only a matter of time before someone figured out how to do that. But it's particularly scary that someone like Trump has done it. As for whether he'll get elected... I'd say that will depend on how much of the self-perceived disenfranchised he can convince to go to the ballot box. If he can mobilize the mass of Americans who never vote, he'll take it in a landslide.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
Quote:DRAG0NFLIGHT wrote:
Unfortunately, it's what he's learned. Every business he's ever owned has gone bankrupt. He uses it up, strips out all the cash, and when it dies, he files for a Chapter 11, and renegotiates its value with creditors, so that he can sell it off piecemeal and let them make do with whatever is left over.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that if he'd just invested the millions his father gave him in a good portfolio, he'd have four times the wealth he has now, just living the idle rich lifestyle. So even though he's got a lot of money, all he's really proven is that he can't manage it, and makes bad business decisions. It's too bad that's getting lost in the hype.
As for his election chances, he's tapping into the disgust and outright hatred of the political machine in America. It was perhaps only a matter of time before someone figured out how to do that. But it's particularly scary that someone like Trump has done it. As for whether he'll get elected... I'd say that will depend on how much of the self-perceived disenfranchised he can convince to go to the ballot box. If he can mobilize the mass of Americans who never vote, he'll take it in a landslide.
Trump would end up trashing the good faith and credit of the United States
No President or one seeking the office would act like his trying to make a deal with the good faith and credit of the U.S. like a 3rd world dictator. That will be a recipe for a financial disaster. A very good reason to replace the dollar as the reserve currency of the U.S.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
The man is to economics what Muhammad Atta is to flying a plane....
Atta hit exactly what he intended to, and for the evil, insane reasons he intended.  Trump is apparently dense enough to believe he'd genuinely be bringing about a good deal for America (at least those wealthy parts of it that matter to him) by those wrecker tactics.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Has anyone who have seen Trump's words and actions believe that he will be the greatest president that the GOP will produce since Ronald Reagan?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Oh and this...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ri ... andom_1_na

The GOP base and the head honchos must be drinking the Kool Aid big time. If they support Trump despite what Trump is saying (and has no intention to stop saying), the GOP may end up fracturing and going the way of the Whigs. Because now they're identified with whatever Trumps spews out of his mouth. They can't split hairs about endorsing him and then turning around and look the other way when Trump says something so vile.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

khagler

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Has anyone who have seen Trump's words and actions believe that he will be the greatest president that the GOP will produce since Ronald Reagan?
That's a remarkably low bar.
The best that we can hope for is that the next president won't be any more evil than his or her predecessor. 
Quote:khagler wrote:
The best that we can hope for is that the next president won't be any more evil than his or her predecessor. 
That implies a commitment to do wrong. In Trump's case, I do agree with you.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Atta hit exactly what he intended to, and for the evil, insane reasons he intended.  Trump is apparently dense enough to believe he'd genuinely be bringing about a good deal for America (at least those wealthy parts of it that matter to him) by those wrecker tactics.
I think a better comparison would be that Trump is to economics what Viscount Pirrie was to the Titanic.
khagler Wrote:
ordnance11 Wrote:Has anyone who have seen Trump's words and actions believe that he will be the greatest president that the GOP will produce since Ronald Reagan?
Why are you implying that winning the Cold War was a mere trifle?

khagler Wrote:The best that we can hope for is that the next president won't be any more evil than his or her predecessor. 
Considering how little evil the current officeholder has, I'd say that's where the bar is being set high.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:robkelk wrote:
The best that we can hope for is that the next president won't be any more evil than his or her predecessor. 
Considering how little evil the current officeholder has, I'd say that's where the bar is being set high.
Disclaimer: I could be wrong on what Khagler is intuiting on this:
Khagler is stating there is no difference between Trump or Clinton. Both are not fit to be president and neither is Obama for that matter.
It reminds me of the 2000 election when Al Gore and George W. Bush were both running for President. I decided not to vote because one was just as bad as the other. I was wrong. Gore might had gone to war in Afghanistan after 9/11. Going to war in Iraq? Not likely. If he did there would had been no Abu Graibh torture. Whether the economic bust would had occurred is up in the air. But certainly no Cheney running things in his first term.
If you want another example try the 1991 campaign of David Duke to be governor of Louisiana. G.H.W Bush and the rest of the GOP spurned Duke. The GOP today gave their support (fealty) to Trump. that might end up fracturing the party after this election.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
The trouble is that the GOP is now counting on a Trump victory, otherwise they may not be so successful in courting campaign fund donors in the future. It's like sponsorship in NASCAR. If the driver or his team is really fucking up, the sponsors threaten to take away their support. Only instead of trying to sell products, they're trying to sell a policies.
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
The trouble is that the GOP is now counting on a Trump victory, otherwise they may not be so successful in courting campaign fund donors in the future. It's like sponsorship in NASCAR. If the driver or his team is really fucking up, the sponsors threaten to take away their support. Only instead of trying to sell products, they're trying to sell a policies.
I doubt if the entire GOP is counting on a Trump victory. The GOP leadership has decided to let the Senators and congresspersons in contested elections to disassociate themselves with Trump if it means holding on to their offices. The GOP leadership have issued statements of supports that are truly masterpieces of evasion. One of them is the Ayotte evasion.. You have the speaker of the house holding his nose will stating he will support the nominee. Then you have Priebus blithely saying that everything will be fine and the GOP will take back the White house. I've been wondering what has he been smoking when he says these things.  The most dangerous ones are folks like Mitch McConnell. He believes that a Trump win will enable the GOP to enact policies to their liking and appease the base. He also believes that Trump can be managed. So did Franz von Pappen. Trump is not someone you manage. And add the latest brouhaha concerning Curiel.
Yesterday Trump was trying to act presidential. I doubt if he can keep up with the effort. He's tried it before reverting back to himself. And imo, the only votes he's going to get are from the Archie Bunker crowd.
So if it came to to unpopular candidates, the question is going to be who will least damage the country. I made a mistake in not voting in 2000 because I though one was as bad as the other. Boy I was wrong. Dead wrong. Won't make that mistake again. 

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
I doubt if the entire GOP is counting on a Trump victory. The GOP leadership has decided to let the Senators and congresspersons in contested elections to disassociate themselves with Trump if it means holding on to their offices. The GOP leadership have issued statements of supports that are truly masterpieces of evasion. One of them is the Ayotte evasion.. You have the speaker of the house holding his nose will stating he will support the nominee. Then you have Priebus blithely saying that everything will be fine and the GOP will take back the White house. I've been wondering what has he been smoking when he says these things.  The most dangerous ones are folks like Mitch McConnell. He believes that a Trump win will enable the GOP to enact policies to their liking and appease the base. He also believes that Trump can be managed. So did Franz von Pappen. Trump is not someone you manage. And add the latest brouhaha concerning Curiel.
Yesterday Trump was trying to act presidential. I doubt if he can keep up with the effort. He's tried it before reverting back to himself. And imo, the only votes he's going to get are from the Archie Bunker crowd.
So if it came to to unpopular candidates, the question is going to be who will least damage the country. I made a mistake in not voting in 2000 because I though one was as bad as the other. Boy I was wrong. Dead wrong. Won't make that mistake again.
Ah.  It's the voter base, then.  Trump seems to be so popular and all that they're worried they'll all get voted out if they close ranks against him.
Worse, still, are all the Tea Party meat-heads supporting him.  They probably liken the greatness he's promising to the post-WWII days.  Of course we'll never get that back.  That was a very unique time where we were just coming out of a depression, and then the biggest and most industrialized war started, necessitating what was a complete replacement and upgrade of our military's hardware.

That meant jobs for anyone who wanted one on top of all the combat pay all the sailors/soldiers/marines/airmen got.  Sure, during the war no one could buy much.  Rationing and all.  But immediately afterwards?  Everyone wanted everything.  Houses.  Cars.  TV sets.  All proudly made in America because no one else had the same quality of manufacture as we did at the time, except maybe the British.  On top of all that there was still the occupation of Germany and Japan.  (Not so sure about what was going on in Italy at this time, but eh.)

It was, in essence, a very rags-to-riches time for us.  And in all seriousness, the only thing that's going to bring about a similar enough rejuvenation is if aliens invaded and we handed them back their asses and had to create some kind of Solar System Defense Forces in the process.  Which should show people just how out of touch Trump's supporters are, as if the rampant racism, sexism, and general bigotry weren't enough of a clue.
The years from 1946 to 1972 would had been a golden time. If you're a WASP. Not so if you're a minority. So one's golden age may not mean the same thing to another. Trump is selling to my mind a bill of goods he has no intention of fulfilling. Giving him responsibility for the defense of this country would a disaster for us and our allies. What is worse that I have friends and family who had seemed to have bought his message, hook, line and sinker.
You may distrust Hillary, but Trump scares the heck out of me.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I dislike them both. Vehemently.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Okay, I'm hearing what's being said and implied in this thread.

Get your applications in early: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Foxboy wrote:
I dislike them both. Vehemently.
Decide then which one is the lesser of the 2 evils and vote accordingly. Undecided in this race must be in the low digits.

Edit: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... ative_1_na

If HRC exhibits similar character flaws give me a link.

Edit 2: What does it say that the GOP leadership will vote for but not endorse him?

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Get your applications in early: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
No can do for me Rob.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

No, I'll be the guy listening for the radio to tell me that "John has a long mustache."  
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

khagler

The best that we can hope for is that the next president won't be any more evil than his or her predecessor. 
Why are you so fond of non sequiturs?

khagler

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:Khagler is stating there is no difference between Trump or Clinton. Both are not fit to be president and neither is Obama for that matter.   
The second, yes. However, I can't say that there's no difference between Trump and Clinton, since there's no telling what Trump would actually do. What I was talking about was the way Presidents take the evils of their predecessor and build on them--for example, Bush II proclaimed that the President could arbitrarily imprison and torture people, then Obama took that and added that the President could also arbitrarily execute people. It would be nice, but sadly not very likely at all, if whichever of them wins didn't find a way to be even worse.
khagler Wrote:
Quote:khagler wrote:That's a remarkably low bar.

Quote:khagler wrote:The best that we can hope for is that the next president won't be any more evil than his or her predecessor. 

I don't post non sequiturs, so that question is itself a non sequitur.

Politicians are not by definition evil - if you think they are, then we have no common ground for a political discussion. The current office-holder is not evil, nor are his policies.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:That's a remarkably low bar.

Quote:khagler wrote:The best that we can hope for is that the next president won't be any more evil than his or her predecessor. 

I don't post non sequiturs, so that question is itself a non sequitur.

Politicians are not by definition evil - if you think they are, then we have no common ground for a political discussion. The current office-holder is not evil, nor are his policies.
The problem is giving the vile fecal matter spewing from Trump's mouth, his supporters looks to Obama or HRC and say, "She's as bad as he is." Trump already gave an ultimatum to the GOP leadership. He said that "I can get along without you": or words to that effect. They may take him up on it. Because the contortions of someone like Ryan saying, "I disagree, but I'll support him" is the definition of the loyal opposition.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13