Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: NGE: Nobody Dies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Quote:"No, wait. That's what I want. Short term memory's a problem right
now after the week of trying to blank out memories from what was done
to me and...where was I?"

Pause. Stall for time. If he is REDACTED may give them a chance to REDACTED.
"You were
about to start your musical number."
He pauses, staring at her,
and snaps his fingers.
"Right! Thanks for the reminder."

Ch. 38 is up

"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

HoagieOfDoom

The latest chapter is full of AWESOME and WIN. Even Kyoko gets a CMOA.
Tell me about it! I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Kyoko got Jet Alone to generate an AT Field!
The Gurren Lagan reference is a very welcome thing, and almost expected given who it was coming from in this chapter.
Holy shit.  Iruel has gone and completely lost his marbles.  Then again, I guess that leaving one in the company of the children of Rei and Go-kun will do that.  Hide the filing cabinet!?  I don't think I really want to know for sure as the term 'occular virginity' comes to mind.
Asuka is crazy in only the best possible ways.
So is Misato for that matter.  Wink
"I love those Plan B's.  It's the sort of plans I can see through my eyelids."
*Cackles hysterically*

The Wanderer

HoagieOfDoom Wrote:Even Kyoko gets a CMOA.
Kyoko, Rei, Go-kun, Asuka, Mana, Shinji, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two here or there (even though that *is* most of the available characters)... but I do think Kyoko's was the most awesome of the lot.
Mmmm.  Even mix of "Oh Wow" and "oh dear".  Canon!Asuka meets ND!Asuka... and ND!Rei and ND!Shinji -- and it goes about how you'd expect.  And poor canon!Shinji.  And am I alone in thinking the scene that chapter ends on can only end badly?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The Wanderer

No. No, you're not.

Though he does keep surprising us...
Mm.  Something I forgot.  What happns when canon!Rei meets ND!Rei?  And how big will the radius of effect be?
-- Bob
---------
Did anyone catch the old school Doctor Who reference in the last chapter?
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Dang... About as bad as we thought. Kyoko has herself yet another emotional meltdown. I wonder how many more she has before she becomes totally human?
blackaeronaut Wrote:Dang... About as bad as we thought. Kyoko has herself yet another emotional meltdown. I wonder how many more she has before she becomes totally human?

Given that "human" as a psychosocial construct is a process rather than a destination, I suspect that there isn't really an answer to that question. Smile
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
*considers making a useful comment*

*decides against*

"Babies."
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:Soooo~ooo Little Mommy made sure I had hobbies. Like Taxidermy."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

AH

AHH AHH AHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

that is all.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
NBD Rei! Stop corrupting a near-canon Rei! That's Emi's job!

---

I froze suddenly. I could feel the tingle of a nearby AT field. The intensity seemed to indicate a roughly human-sized form so it had to be Kaworu. But what was he doing here so early? And in the ventilation ducts?

A grate popped open near the ceiling and I saw an unruly mop of blue hair hanging down from a goofy grin I'd only ever seen, inverted, in a mirror.

"Heeee~eeey!"

I looked over my shoulder at my sister, who was where I expected her. I turned back to the unexpected Ceiling-Rei. "Um, Hi?"

If anything, the Ceiling-Rei's smile got wider, and I felt a cold chill of dread run up my spine.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Although DW6 is going nowhere near this Evaverse, I can't help but think Doug+ND!Rei would be an awesome combination...
-- Bob
---------
Ladies and Gentlemen, Gendo Ikari, father of the year.

"Babies."

The Wanderer

And.. does it bother anyone else that that final word was given the boldface-and-italics treatment more typically reserved for the words of Angels?

And, Foxboy, I'd like to see more of that. I really don't expect to, for a variety of different reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd like to.
I find it intensely amusing that the main bit in the canon universe, aside from the fact that it's comparing the ND! versions to their counterparts, is Kyoko's growing character arc.

And Gregg's done something very subtle here, that I only noticed on a re-read.

Everyone hates Kyoko for the most part, or did, due to how she treated Asuka.

However, of late, she's been slowly, slowly recovering. Bit by bit. To the point that her most recent screwup is not directly her fault. She told Canon!Asuka she was proud of her in much the same way one tells a little kid that gives you a collection of squiggles that they call a doggy that it's a very nice doggy. She did it because it was obvious that telling her otherwise would've been too cruel. Of course, when she noticed ND!Asuka right there...she realized exactly how she'd screwed up as well.

Now, all of this would be in the area of "deserved retribution" for, like, three more seasons worth by some people's estimates, except Gregg is pointing out some interesting things. Kyoko's hatedom is the result of a very personal empathizing with Asuka. Kyoko is awful, but she's awful in the sense that normal people are.

By contrast, we have Canon!Gendo, who's a real nasty piece of work. He gets some mild sympathy, but as Yui points out, he's hiding behind her instructions. In the end, he doesn't take responsibility for his own actions. It's Yui's fault for abandoning him in the Contact Experiment. Yui's fault for not staying with him. Yui's fault for leaving a potential way to be with her again via Instrumentality. Yui's fault that the only way to keep Naoko happy was to seduce her and then discard her when she wasn't useful anymore.

Kyoko has grown enough to recognize not only her own faults, but those of her alternate(which are, really, her own faults merely taken to their worst logical conclusion), and takes at least guilty responsibility for them. Canon!Gendo excuses his actions as being according to Yui's wishes and excuses her objections by blaming her for forcing him into his situation, despite the fact that he's proven to be just as good as she is, and arguably had Canon!Kyoko on tap if he'd halted the contact experiments. And then there's all the other actions he's taken since.

By pointing out a real bastard, Gregg's managed to make Kyoko less horrible.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
Interestingly, for people paying attention to the forum thread on spacebattles, this may not be new.

However, for those of you less detail-intensive, a link:

http://www.fanfiction.net...obody_Dies_The_Kei_Files

Fanfic about the fanfic, but from apparent comments by Gregg, this is actually canon for Nobody Dies.

Remember Kei, the Ree taken by Tabris?

Yeah, Kaworu had no idea what he was getting himself into.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
Sohryu sighs, resting her face on both hands as Ayanami smiles a little wider, eyes widening as somewhere deep within her mind she comes to a startling, almost euphoric conclusion which makes the oddest of sounds come out from between her lips.

A small, girlish laugh.

“I understand, now.”

She gets up, walking across the bedroom and opening the door. Scrambling to her feet, Sohryu follows her, watching from the doorway as Ayanami walks to the other bedroom and knocks on the door. The other door opens. Asuka opens it, and from the doorway Sohryu can see Rei fixing the ventilation cover.

“Pilot Sohryu,” Ayanami says, “I wish to talk.”

Asuka rolls her eyes, hands on her hips.

“What do you want, Wondergirl?”

Ayanami smiles, the very sight of it catching Asuka off guard. Not, however, as much as the statement.

“Stop tormenting Ikari, you kraut bitch.”

Sohryu's jaw drops open. Rei claps her hands together and squeals. And Asuka grabs Ayanami by the front of her pajamas, swearing in German. Ayanami responds by head butting her.

“Alright! Alternate reality fight!”
OpMegs Wrote:Interestingly, for people paying attention to the forum thread on spacebattles, this may not be new.

However, for those of you less detail-intensive, a link:

http://www.fanfiction.net...obody_Dies_The_Kei_Files

Fanfic about the fanfic, but from apparent comments by Gregg, this is actually canon for Nobody Dies.

Remember Kei, the Ree taken by Tabris?

Yeah, Kaworu had no idea what he was getting himself into.
I mentioned this in the update and rec threads a few days ago.  Probably should have mentioned it here too though.  Its now complete, so go read it if you haven't yet.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Quote:MAGI-00: -run program adorable-fidgeting .app :
*dies* Smile
--Sam
"Babies."
Quote:"Limited creatures of blood and flesh. You are brought into my mind and you fumble in ignorance, incapable of understanding that which is before you. Unaware of what you have done."

"That's not a hallucination," Rei sing-songs, stepping back, fear evident on her face.

...yes.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
An update to the SpaceBattles thread has suggested that Zeruel...did not take this particular exchange well.

Quote: I AM. THROUGH LICESENSE OF HE WHO IS NAMED "I AM". I HAVE COME. THOUGH MY FEET SHALL DRAG UPON THIS BASE EARTH, I HAVE COME. I AM THE SECOND TO FATHER. INHERITOR OF HIS BOUNDLESS RAGE. YOU HAVE EXISTED SO FAR AT MY PLEASURE AND PATIENCE, AND THAT, AS SHALL YOUR WORKS OF CIVILIZATION, SHALL NOW COME TO AN END. I AM THE GREATEST OF THE MESSENGERS, MOUNTAIN OF THEIR STRENGTH. CITIES SHALL FALL UPON MY PASSING. SONGS SHALL BE SUNG OF WHAT IS LEFT IN MY WAKE. I AM THE ARM OF GOD. ANGEL OF MIGHT. I AM ZERUEL. I HAVE COME.

It also comes in handy voice acted form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEpm0Z6w ... hXiTyvMuCk
---
waste."
Matrix Dragon Wrote:Sohryu sighs, resting her face on both hands as Ayanami smiles a little wider, eyes widening as somewhere deep within her mind she comes to a startling, almost euphoric conclusion which makes the oddest of sounds come out from between her lips.

A small, girlish laugh.

“I understand, now.”

She gets up, walking across the bedroom and opening the door. Scrambling to her feet, Sohryu follows her, watching from the doorway as Ayanami walks to the other bedroom and knocks on the door. The other door opens. Asuka opens it, and from the doorway Sohryu can see Rei fixing the ventilation cover.

“Pilot Sohryu,” Ayanami says, “I wish to talk.”

Asuka rolls her eyes, hands on her hips.

“What do you want, Wondergirl?”

Ayanami smiles, the very sight of it catching Asuka off guard. Not, however, as much as the statement.

“Stop tormenting Ikari, you kraut bitch.”

Sohryu's jaw drops open. Rei claps her hands together and squeals. And Asuka grabs Ayanami by the front of her pajamas, swearing in German. Ayanami responds by head butting her.

“Alright! Alternate reality fight!”
Matrix Dragon, was this scene posted to the SB forum? Since it's in the latest chapter, it's either A) that, B) you're one of Gregg's pre-readers, or C) It was taken from the Forums here.

Just asking.
@Cobalt, that chapter has actually been up on ff.net for hours now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12