Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: 284 is enough AGAIN! NEW NEW new fic reccomendation thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Whenever that happens try adding a long string of zeros '000000000000000' etc before the chapter number of the fanfic, like ten or fifteen. That usually clears up any issues.
----------------------------
Epsilon
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
If you linked straight to a story and use that link it works okay or at least it did for me.
Yeah, they seemed to be back up as of late last night.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
A rather silly super!Harry one-shot, based on an interesting interpretaion of the prophesy and corresponding loophole: The Power The Dark Lord Knows Of.

--The Twisted OneThere is no medicine that cures stupidity (baka ni tsukeru kusuri wa nai).
--Japanese proverb
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
Oh yeah, I remember that one. Fun and funny.
-- Bob
---------
An amusing short fic by our very own Drakensis, Tom Riddle and the Goblet of Fire[Image: Bansho.jpg]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Quote:
An amusing short fic by our very own Drakensis, Tom Riddle and the Goblet of Fire

Hmm ... hey, Drake? What're the chances of us convincing you to do some short Dierk focused stories in that setting?
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
"Dierk Schneider"? Naughty, naughty Drakensis, using such a name and then not putting a single heavy metal reference anywhere...

Loved the story. Is that just a first chapter, or is it complete as is?
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
"Dierk Schneider"? Naughty, naughty Drakensis, using such a name and then not putting a single heavy metal reference anywhere...
Hmm? Wasn't that taken care of by the raven animagus form?
I'm putting my cash on 'one-shot' though, since it's wrapped up nicely enough and can stand alone.
Though, hey, if Drake means to make more? All the more power to him ^_^.
-Griever
It's just a one shot - there was a discussion over on the Viridian Dreams mailing list over the Goblet of Fire and I suggested using it against Voldie. Someone's response was 'will someone please write this'. So I did.
I needed a Durmstang student (although I toyed with using former students - Fleur & Viktor) but I liked the imagery of Gabrielle as a champion so I dug Dierk out of the concept notes from TK1940.
Although now that it's been suggested, there's a slight temptation to do a one shot of Dark Schneider reminiscing about his schooldays.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Grab some tissues.
Then read this.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
... well, not really. But that's the feeling I get.
www.fanfiction.net/s/2449999/1/
'Blue Blue Glass Moon, Under the Crimson Air' is a Love Hina/Negima/XXXHolic/BLEACH/Rozen Maiden/etc. fusion with a Keitaro/Kanako focus and poly possibilities done the _good_ way ... it's a wonder Nate hasn't run across this yet, to tell you the truth.
Also, be sure to check out this:
www.fanfiction.net/s/2655031/1/
by the same author.
'How to be a Mr Nice Guy' is a Naruto fusion with ... well, lets say it explores what would happen if Naruto were being raised by Urahara Kisuke. It's insane, in a good way, and so frickin' funny at times *snrk*.
This guy's stuff is now officially on my 'must follow' list.
-Griever
Quote:
'Blue Blue Glass Moon, Under the Crimson Air' is a Love Hina/Negima/XXXHolic/BLEACH/Rozen Maiden/etc. fusion with a Keitaro/Kanako focus and poly possibilities done the _good_ way ... it's a wonder Nate hasn't run across this yet, to tell you the truth.
It doesn't hit any of my usual fandoms, you see, so that miss isn't really a surprise.
As for reading it... Honestly, I got to about chapter ten before my desire to reach through the screen and throttle the obnoxious bitch was too much to take. It might have taken longer to that point if the narration hadn't just taken it for granted that she was right, that terrorizing and assaulting people who irritated her was an acceptable thing to do. Mary-Sue 'so perfect and so strong' elements I can take, but combining them with that kind of malice... I'll grant that it might just be a piece of close third person characterisation, but even if I felt inclined to be that generous, keeping completely in her head without a moderating break to someone else definitely spoiled whatever effect he was going for.
I can see the similarities to RAALS, yeah, but the sense of humanity, the little touches like the 'scars coming from mistakes' bit in the Kuno scene, are completely absent, and what's left afterwards is transformed into something that makes me feel unclean for having read it. Maybe it's a consequence of my tendancy to try and empathize with everyone rather than just the protagonist of a tale, but for me this story's flaws far outweigh its virtues.
Which, from what you've said about it, is a pity, but no less true for that.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Ah well. Different strokes and all that.
Maybe I got a little overexcited over this thing.
I'd argue that she had at least some reason to react that ... arguably to the situation at hand, the brunt of which comes out in later chapters. The way she came out in the first arc was apparently fully intentional.
Still, it gets worse before it gets better, so for the sake of your monitor, good choice.
Quote:
Maybe it's a consequence of my tendancy to try and empathize with everyone rather than just the protagonist of a tale, but for me this story's flaws far outweigh its virtues.
*chuckles* Good thing you didn't get quite far enough to get the full impact of his berbitch!Motoko then. There's someone who needs to be shot. Repeatedly. With a howitzer.
-Griever
Harry Potter, and Highlander: The Series
www.fanfiction.net/s/2646438/1/
Also, if you have played escape velocity: nova, he has another crossover between that and the Lord of the Rings...
I just came across this. Its a Ranma/Warhammer cross. I think this has potential.
www.fanfiction.net/s/3151181/1/
-aeroprime
--------------
"I did NOT escape! They gave me a day pass."

WengFook

Quote:
VladimirTherin said:
Harry Potter, and Highlander: The Series
www.fanfiction.net/s/2646438/1/
Yeah I remember that being recced a few month's back, very good story [Image: happy.gif] at the time it was only up to chapter 4, glad to see its finished now [Image: smile.gif]
We are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls. The fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn. The horn that wakes the sleepers. The shield that guards the realms of men. -The Brothers Black
I just finished reading Kaori's "Shinobi's Guide" series; or at least, as much of it as is currently written. Her work is not without its flaws, but for ridiculus humor set in the Naruto-verse, I found it very amusing. There are six complete parts, each with 10 chapters:
The Shinobi's Guide to Voodoo
The Shinobi's Guide to Television
The Shinobi's Guide to Camping
The Shinobi's Guide to Drama
The Shinobi's Guide to Accursed Heirlooms
The Shinobi's Guide to Training
There is a seventh, "The Shinobi's Guide to Dubious Jutsu", in progress, and an omake file, "Cliff Notes for Ninja." We've got Shikamaru reciting dirty rhymes in his underwear, Sasuke in a dress, Gai and Lee wearing lederhosen, the Accursed Posessed Bra of the Hyuuga Clan, Mother-in-Law no Jutsu, and other bits of total insanity.

-The Twisted OneThere is no medicine that cures stupidity (baka ni tsukeru kusuri wa nai).
--Japanese proverb
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
Becky-chan pointed me to some Daria fics she liked, and when she told me the author's name I boggled.
It appears that Roger E. Moore, former editor of Dragon Magazine, is a fanfic writer. ^.^
www.outpost-daria.com/fan...r_e__moore
and his pseudonym
www.outpost-daria.com/fan..._angst_guy
Check this link, heading down to the post just above chapter 15 of "Outcasts from Beyond," to confirm that at the very least this guy claims to be "the" Moore.
--Sam
"Oh, there's crime here. I can smell it."
2 very different takes on the SVU cast, and their introduction to the "real world" of Buffy the Vampire Slayer....
Father Goose and the Black Knight
and
My daughter....the what?-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
I've been avidly reading "My Daughter...The What?" and I have to second the recommendation. I'm really enjoying it. Especially now that it looks like the Big Reveal is going to happen soon...
-- Bob
---------
Eternally Lost is a fic about Ryouga and Ranma being turned into Sailor Moon villians for some reason. It's kind of dark and violent, for both series, but was an interesting read. I'll probably stick through at least the second chapter to see where the author is going.
------------------
Epsilon

HoagieOfDoom

I've been debating on whether or not to rec this fic. I actually found it a long while ago but didn't read it. Recently, I remembered it, searched for it and gave it a read.
I finished it little less than a week ago and am still digesting it, but found it to be something that, while a bit difficult, it deserved to be recommended.
The basic premise is a fusion between Neon Genesis Evangelion and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Although NGE is most strongly represented with its entire cast, unlike RGU of who's characters only a handful show up or are even mentioned, the setting and parts of the plot are lifted from RGU. However, the style of the series is like a strange, eldritch mishmash of both series (without pointless angst, though).
Like I said before, I was hesitant to post this. While it avoids many of NGE more commonly debated pitfalls, it is most definitely particular; not everyone will enjoy. However, the writing is wonderful. It's so rare to read a fic this well written. In a way, I'm almost reminded of Ranma and Akane: A Love Story's style (minus the many, many butterflies, of course).
Be warned, some chapters have NSFW material.
So, without further ado, I present to you Fane of the Firebird, by David Snyder. Scroll down a little on the page.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Quote:
So, without further ado, I present to you Fane of the Firebird, by David Snyder. Scroll down a little on the page.
Violent!Shinji for teh win.
-Griever
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10