Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: 284 is enough AGAIN! NEW NEW new fic reccomendation thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Quote:
So, without further ado, I present to you Fane of the Firebird, by David Snyder. Scroll down a little on the page.
Argh. Another site blocked by my job's net.censor.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...

HoagieOfDoom

My bad. There is some NSFW material in there that I completely forgot about when I wrote the post. The warning is there now.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Hmm ... okay, finished reading it.
Worth a look, but what it delivers after that promising start is a bit of a downer. The ending is very 'meh', all things considered. Damnit, I _liked_ Violent!Shinji showing the morons just why you shouldn't go around and challenge people of unknown skill to swordfights. Or fights, point.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Ever wonder what the Daily Show is like in the Marvel universe? Here's some commentary on the subject...
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
That was... odd...
-- Bob
---------
Near as I can tell it has no name.
If you like war in space or battles fought in space you might like this.
It's a multi-writer fanfic using a modified version of the "Race". It assumes they arrive in the twenty-first century instead of during World War II.
There are also other changes made and it is set several years after the failed invasion of Earth.
www.daltonator.net/fanfic...ceTGOD.txt
howard melton
God bless
Sailor Moon - fugitive from justice.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"

Jeap

The TBOVerse is a set of alternate history stories mainly written by a Seer Stuart who used to work as a nuclear targeteer and is a restrained fountian of knowledge. The stories are well written, if workman in their presentation, and catalogue what a real nuclear war would wrought. The Big One, the first story written in the series, starts with the Halifax/Butler Coup being successful and ends with Germany under nuclear assult from B-36 bombers with the rest following how the world evolves from there or being character pieces for the longlifers that get introduced a little later.
I'd recommend looking at the rest of the board as well, because, though it leans heavily right, there are quite a few interesting facts scatered around.
www.fanfiction.net/s/3118898/1/
Death of a Kage Bunshin is a nice short.
Dear GODS Nathan, that is SO INCREDIBLY BORING! I stuck with it for a dozen chapters, and it just dragged on and on, like... like a record of court proceedings. Which it is. And condescendingly written court proceedings, at that. What possibly posessed you to reccomend it?
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Well, it's a marvelous bit of characterisation, for one - Themis is... awful... to start out with, true, but she's meant to be, and by the end, I was cheering her as hard as any canon character. The world-building seems decent, too, if a tad over the top, and the mystery turns out a lot more interesting than just a mere did-she-didn't-she.
And in the meantime, I was amused by watching the viewpoint of a stuffy, overcivilized tentacle monster.
*shrug* I can see why you'd call the pace 'slow', at that point, and honestly I don't think it ever gets to be really racing, but it does move if you stick with it, and I enjoyed it a great deal.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"

CattyNebulart

I liked fugitive from justice (well I haven't finished it yet but I liked what I saw), but I dpo agree it's too slow. I don't think I could, or should for that matter, read more than a few chapters of it per day.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
I rather like it actually. It's really pretty dull until about the chapter after Themis makes 'Humbugger and Frey', after which it begins to pick up a bit.
I only really stuck with it till that point because I was wondering how Usagi was taken in the first place.
On chapter 30 at the moment (FF.net went out on me *sigh*) I'll probably finish reading it tommarow.
A Harry Potter / Full Metal Alchemist fic called Invert. Picks up after HBP, and towards the end(?) of FMA...-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
I'd like to offer a tentative recommendation for The Key To Marauding by Anoron. In an alternate Buffyverse, Dawn dives off Glory's tower at the end of season five. But instead of dying as she expects, she finds herself in front of Hogwart's. Becoming a student there for lack of anywhere else to go (there's a Buffy in this universe, but she's a Cordelia-like non-Slayer), Dawn falls in with a bunch of fifth-year Gryffindor boys -- James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew.
The story is positively huge -- nearly 2 Mb in 42 chapters, and that just covers Dawn's first year at Hogwart's. The author is quite good at playing the perturbed-timeline game -- how much is Dawn changing of the future history we all know, and how much is she actually reinforcing? It's heartbreaking to see her being the best person she can be and still apparently help to push Peter toward Voldemort without realizing it.
My qualification of "tentative" for this recommendation is based on a few things. One is that there is a fair amount of angst, which when overdone drives me nuts -- and this story came very close to the line for me. The second is the author did something I generally don't like -- she shifted the timeline to suit her story -- by perhaps three decades. The Marauders are fifth-year students at Hogwart's in the 2001-2002 academic year. The date is never actually given but it's easy to determine -- Dawn never complains about old-fashioned clothing, Lily has been stealing CDs from Petunia's collection, and the analogue Buffy of this universe is the right age and attending college. I personally dislike this kind of thing in a fic -- there's no real story reason that the dates in both universes had to line up -- and I think that it would have been a lot more interesting if Dawn had had to handle a timeshift as well as a change in universes. But that's just me.
The author also has a habit of missing words and typos, but to be honest it's not a huge problem. Most are easily solved with context.
Anyway, I think it might be worth a try.
-- Bob
---------
Honestly, Headmaster is something of an altverse ending to Book Five. It's also a crackfic, so beware...-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
Quote:
It's also a crackfic, so beware...
And it's by the fellow who's been extending Luna's Hubby (originally by Rorshach's Blot). And this guy's got twisted (in a good way) to spare.
-- Bob
---------

CattyNebulart

Well I don't remember if this one has been recomended before but icebreakers is pretty good.
fenya.net/fanfics/ccs/icebreakers/
and so is A Cappella
www.fanfiction.net/s/227280/1/
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
There's a Negima fanfic I recommend:
Juugo:
Negi as a 15 year old this time:
www.fanfiction.net/s/2539466/1/
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I just found this rather funny crossover one-shot on Twisting the Hellmouth: Jack in a Box. Read, and enjoy.

-The Twisted OneEverybody Loves the Croquet Jihad!
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire

WengFook

Ord about that Negima fic... is it going anywhere different? so far all i've read seems to have Negi having a teenager's response to embarassing situations aaaaand... thats about all the deviation from the original story I can see [Image: indifferent.gif]
We are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls. The fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn. The horn that wakes the sleepers. The shield that guards the realms of men. -The Brothers Black
Ord about that Negima fic... is it going anywhere different? so far all i've read seems to have Negi having a teenager's response to embarassing situations aaaaand... thats about all the deviation from the original story I can see [Image: indifferent.gif]
I remember reading this one a while ago, and that was my general impression as well. Unless the author's changed his approach in the last two or so chapters that he's released since that time, then no.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Quote:
I remember reading this one a while ago, and that was my general impression as well. Unless the author's changed his approach in the last two or so chapters that he's released since that time, then no.
True enough, but it's amusing enough for me to keep on reading for light entertainment. It's not bad for a first work.
Now if you guys have any recommendations for a Negima fanfic...
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
A Minor Snag is the story of how KH2 would have turned out if Namine was a bit... different.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
April 10, 1997 by Mediancat
A rather interesting Faith-centric BtVS crossover with a series I'd rather not spoil. Almost a Crossover That Should Not Be, except it works so strangely well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10