Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Crossovers That Should Not Be: Addition Wars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Jorlem Wrote:The Demolished Girl, a cross of Alfred Bester'sThe Demolished Man, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It would not end well for Haruhi, given what the espers do to people like her.
... I don't think Haruhi is anywhere _near_ bad enough to justify demolition. Besides, it requires sentencing. Somewhere in the interim, the world would go *pif*.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. A new "X is Harry's Father" story, in which Harry is raised by Vaughn Hohenheim. His response to Nicholas Flamel's masterpiece is sure to be... interesting.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Thesilentjackofalltrade

hummm......

the secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel series crossed over with Potral, Halo, The leviathan book series, or Evangelion.
Jorlem Wrote:The Demolished Girl, a cross of Alfred Bester'sThe Demolished Man, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It would not end well for Haruhi, given what the espers do to people like her.
... I don't think Haruhi is anywhere _near_ bad enough to justify demolition. Besides, it requires sentencing. Somewhere in the interim, the world would go *pif*.
It's been a while since I've read the story, but wasn't part of what made the main character's demolition so urgent that he was going to obtain reality warping powers? I might need to reread. As I said, it's been a while.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

SCM Writer of 2814

Kyubey's newest recruit is going to be... problematic

"Kobayashi, KOBAYASHI, KOBAYASHI! I WANT TO BE A VOICE ACTRESS!"

Such is the saga of Puni Puni Puela Poemi!
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke
Jorlem Wrote:
s3yang Wrote:
It's been a while since I've read the story, but wasn't part of what made the main character's demolition so urgent that he was going to obtain reality warping powers? I might need to reread. As I said, it's been a while.
I'm thinking you may have mixed another book into this or something. The protagonist of one of Bester's other books (Tiger! Tiger! AKA The Stars My Destination) has reality warping powers. The main character in the Demolished man is pretty much just psychotic. I don't think he even had active powers in the book, think he was a latent psychic. Mind you, it's been quite a long time since I've read it too.
s3yang Wrote:I'm thinking you may have mixed another book into this or something. The protagonist of one of Bester's other books (Tiger! Tiger! AKA The Stars My Destination) has reality warping powers. The main character in the Demolished man is pretty much just psychotic. I don't think he even had active powers in the book, think he was a latent psychic. Mind you, it's been quite a long time since I've read it too.
The wikipedia entry on the book agrees with your recollections: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demolished_Man  
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
I dug up an ebook copy of the book so I could copy and paste.  (Also, I can't find my hard copy at the moment)  Here's a bit from near the end, when the espers are debating the need to combine their powers to demolish Reich right away. 

Quote:Powell: But there is an additional development which you have all examined.
Reich is about to become a Galactic focal point... A crucial link between the
positive past and the probable future. He is on the verge of a powerful
reorganization at this moment. Time is of the essence. If Reich can readjust and
reorient before I can reach him, he will become immune to our reality,
invulnerable to our attack, and the deadly enemy of Galactic reason and reality.
?
(Alarm)
@kins: Surely, you're exaggerating, Powell.
Powell: Am I? Inspect the picture with me. Look at Reich's position in time and
space. Will not his beliefs become the world's belief? Will not his reality
become the world's reality? Is he not, in his critical position of power,
energy, and intellect, a sure road to utter destruction?
(Conviction)
T'sung: That's true. Nevertheless I'm reluctant to authorize the Mass Cathexis
Measure. You will recall that the MCM has invariably destroyed the human energy
canal in past attempts. You're too valuable to be destroyed, Powell.
Powell: I must be permitted to run the risk, Reich is one of the rare
Universe-shakers... a child as yet, but about to mature. And all reality...
Espers, Normals, Life, the earth, the solar system, the universe itself... all
reality hangs precariously on his awakening. He cannot be permitted to awake to
the wrong reality. I call the question.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Luna Lovecraft, Ravenclaw House, Hogwarts Class of 1999.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

WengFook

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Luna Lovecraft, Ravenclaw House, Hogwarts Class of 1999.
This makes a scary amount of sense...
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
A crossover that very definitely should not be.
Louise summons a notable (in his own series) swordsman - Tarl Cabot.
More seriously - a crossover between Sailor Moon and Holst - the Planets. Where each senshi has the personality based on the title of the piece. So Jupiter is "the bringer of Jolility" - so she has the personality of Pinky Pie and Mars is "the bringer of War" - so has the personality of Sagura Sousuke.

WengFook

Just skimming Jinx999's post made me think of this crossover...

Zero no Tsukaima / Sailor moon.

Perhaps she summons Usagi or perhaps for twice the pink she summons the other Usagi. Big Grin
Chibiusa... oh dear God, it would be the end of the world. Because just imagine the Mads of that world got ahold of her and turned her into Dark Lady... and then she would be justified in vaping the whole place just because of how Louise had treated her.

Glidergun

A mysterious object is spotted passing through the solar system! The earth must send explorers who are used to dealing with the unknown, and also preferably someone they wouldn't mind losing.
It's... Rendezvous with Ranma!
(I wouldn't suggest reading the sequels, though.)

Herr Bad Moon

Glidergun Wrote:A mysterious object is spotted passing through the solar system! The earth must send explorers who are used to dealing with the unknown, and also preferably someone they wouldn't mind losing.
It's... Rendezvous with Ranma!
(I wouldn't suggest reading the sequels, though.)

Does your space agency have intricate love dodecahedrons? IT DOES NOW!
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
We've secretly swapped Utena Tenjou and Shirou Emiya... let's see if either of them notice.
---------------
Epsilon

GreggHL

These Are the Voyages.
A fusion of Star Trek Online and Mass Effect.  Follow the adventures of Jane Shepard, from her starting as a Lieutenant in Starfleet in the year 2409, to her eventual leading of the armada of both Federation, the Krogan Empire, and the Citadel Fleet against the ...wait, we're getting ahead of ourselves.
Because I really need to stress that even in the Utopian future of STO, Commander Shepard still surrounds herself with f-ups.
Not strictly speaking a crossover, just an opportunity for a bad pun, at the expense of a bowdlerized North American dub:

Liverpool, England. 1992. A girl in her early teens discovers her destiny as a reincarnated warrior for love and justice, then meets others like herself as they fight the Dark Kingdom: Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouse.
-- Bob
---------

Sirrocco

A really odd bit that jumped into my mind after listening to a few too many renditions of "Belle (is the only word)" - my mind kept trying to yank a few random bits out of the Hunchback of Notre Dame and cram them awkwardly into other places.

Nanoha: she wakes up one morning to find that she somehow (through a bizarre fluke of the divinity) qualifies as "Notre Dame" - which means that there's a hunchback (well-meaning, but socially inept) in her attic, desperately trying to fulfill his function by ringing the largest bells he can find up there (a rather cheery crystal diner bell) at the appropriate times in the day.  Also, people occasionally recognize her in the street, drop to their knees, and give simple, heartfelt prayers - generally for things like temperance and self-control - make their obesiances and leave.

No, it doesn't make any sense.  It really, really doesn't... but it stuck in my head, and so I share it.

Sirrocco

and for a somewhat more coherent Hunchback crossover...

So a lot of crossovers and similar involve a single change - a character from outside the fic is dumped in as the brain of one of the characters in the fic and has to adapt.  Hunchback, it always seemed to me, was a tragedy driven, in part, by Esmeralda's impracticality (though she is certainly not the only one whose flaws drive the plot).  Might be interesting to see what would happen if we swapped her out for a character who was a bit more grounded, and perhaps rather wiser.  Wouldn't even have to change all that much - just the last name...

to Weatherwax.
Sirrocco Wrote:and for a somewhat more coherent Hunchback crossover...

So a lot of crossovers and similar involve a single change - a character from outside the fic is dumped in as the brain of one of the characters in the fic and has to adapt.  Hunchback, it always seemed to me, was a tragedy driven, in part, by Esmeralda's impracticality (though she is certainly not the only one whose flaws drive the plot).  Might be interesting to see what would happen if we swapped her out for a character who was a bit more grounded, and perhaps rather wiser.  Wouldn't even have to change all that much - just the last name...

to Weatherwax.
I'd give her six months before she's running Paris from behind the scenes...

Me, I'd change the Notre Dame. Maybe have the Hunchback play with the Gipper.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Ever wonder why Ranma's life is so chaotic?

It's his mother's fault.

No, really - just look at the prequel series, Puella Magi Nodoka Magica...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:Me, I'd change the Notre Dame. Maybe have the Hunchback play with the Gipper.
I take it you've never heard the old joke about the Notre Dame QB who got precognitive flashes...
-- Bob
---------

Necratoid

Quote:No, really - just look at the prequel series, [i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i][i]Puella[/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i][/i] Magi Nodoka Magica[/i]...
I think this is more of a should be thing.  As a mythos series to the canon series... you don't even need to change anything in either series until after Ranma meets his strangely young looking mom.  Simply put, the reason QB likes them so youn in the PMMM series is that Nodoka figured out in the plot.  Having a child will give you a human greif seed... one that processes your corruption naturally without issue.  Later on it was found that this meant more descendants... and the effect is spread out.  Literally more kids, more corruption processing.  Immortality through grandbabies.
The reason Ranma keeps having crippling depression fits and nightmares is that his mom used more power than he can process without side effects that day... the processing speed is smoother to female offspring meaning the depression hits them harder than male offspring.  This is a large part of Ranma's issue with female form.  Ryoga just manages to struggle past his mom's power addiction.  He may actually have a lot of siblings/relatives... his mom spams kids and is doing the evil overlord thing.  Its worse on days when relatives die or contract into PMs.  His projectile depression attack was dumb luck to discover and makes him such a corruption crunching machine it actually causes him to attract his EO ancestor...  The perfect version managed to drop the EO corruption by at least a quarter of max and that is ignoring the rest of the connected bloodline... and he used multiple in a day.
In short, the PMs marry into martial artist families as their offspring are infamously capable of living through processing their corruption.  meaning that the reason that MA are so emotionally screwed up is that they are constantly processing emotion warping depression and such.  Its depression first generation and effects get random from there... this means their are a lot of random female Kuno running around.  I'd have the Amazons purge happy on PMs, Soun's mom be a PM, but not his wife.  Ukyou's mom for sure... she also ditched her dad.
The Neko-ken is a bizarre effect of Ranma's corruption processing abilities and the Neko-ken is just a trap to get idiots to off their own heirs.  Cologne has heard of this and is honestly baffled how he learned a move that can't exist by design.  The Counsil is confused on what to do with Ranma... the typical reason to avoid husbands with PM moms is the Ryoga live self destructiveness... Ranma blows this off mostly.  His battle record is such that he is a prime husband candidate... however he is also likely to have many opportunities to become a half time PM which warps the issue further.
The change in things from QB's side is that 'quota' is just a nasty euphemism for... unstoppable force that levels the planet then burns out wandering around on the husk until it starves to death.  They are 'saving' the multiverse from heat death by removing the chaos that is other life.  Emotional races are trick to exterminate without mobilizing massive chaos causing fleets.  QBs are efficient tricksters.  Logic driven, unemotional races are easy to convince logically to keep reducing thier population until its unsustainable by feeding them BS logic and tech until they self terminate.  Emotional races instinctively shrug these logical arguments off as horrid and abominable.
QB went to Homura's hometown as it was so salery man blah that their wasn't any extra forces to call in as backup... so a witch of enough power can slaughter enough people to breach the unstopablity threshold. leveling the planet.  Homura and Modoka break this plan.
Its simple enough to have Ranma get into a random adventure that involves him meating post accension Madoka... Homura overhears people talking about this Ranma kid and his expliation of what exacty happened in some crazy event.... thus Homura tracks down Ranma and gets involved.
A first thought write up, but it does work as a series.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12