Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Request for Prereaders for Azumanga fic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I first joined these forums, I mentioned that I was working on some fanfiction.  Now, I got sidetracked by another project, but I've made some serious progress towards writing, and I think I'm getting close to actually making it available.
I'd like to get some prereaders for the story, though.  I have a couple of friends reading it, but honestly, I'd like to get more negative constructive feedback so that I can improve as a writer.  Is there anyone here who would be willing to be a prereader for my Azumanga Daioh fic, Interpol Manzai?
Interpol Manzai: summary Wrote:The girls of Azumanga Daioh are age 25 now, and Tomo has her dream job as an ICPO agent. Yomi finds herself pulled into Tomo's jetsetting world of wild adventures, high-tech intrigue, solving mysteries, and lots of slice-of-life comedy.  Many crossovers to other works, but the focus is on how the Azumanga girls grow to face life as young adults.
I posted a couple of scenes as a preview on my website, so you can see if it's the kind of thing that you'd like, or if you can live with my writing style.
This is my first piece of creative writing in years, and easily the most significant.  I started writing because I had a stroke of inspiration and, well, Gryphon-envy.  By now, I'm up to 160k of text and I have a nearly complete story line.  I have ideas for at least 4 more stories, because this writing thing is addictive.
I'd also like to thank Bob for his Fanfic Writers Guide -- it stopped me from making a lot of stupid mistakes.  I still have to go against some of the recommendations, but one must know the rules before one can bend them.
-- ∇×V
You're welcome! I'm always happy to see that someone is making use of the FWG, even with parts of it still so heavily under construction. (And once again, for those who are interested, you can find the guide http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/guide/fwg.txt]here. It's always being revised and updated, so check back often. In fact, the version up right now is a bit outdated already.)

And if I can get the time between eveything else going on in my life right now, I'll at least check out the preview scenes.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Thanks, Bob.  I'm not sure I'm going about this the right way, but I appreciate you even just reading a tiny bit.
I guess the usual approach to this sort of thing is to release the first few chapters of the story, and then get people interested who might want to preread. However, I always looked at my project as writing a light novel, and I'm attempting to make the story work as a whole.  But then, I didn't come into the fanfiction community the normal way -- I started writing for wikis, then found a fandom wiki, and am just now starting to explore the fanfiction community.
For this reason, I'm not exactly sure where I should publish or promote my work, either.  I can't upload it to fanfiction.net, because of the presence of real people in the fic (and I hear there are vipers over there, anyway).  I'm not sure if something about submission/publication/posting should be put in the FWG, but I would eventually like some advice as to how to interact with the fanfiction community.  I am probably just going to host my writing on my own website, since it's the easiest option.
Oh, and I'm not exactly concerned about the real person suing me or anything.  While I am trying to represent him fairly, his current residence in the Ecuadoran Embassy in London makes him... somewhat indisposed.  The original idea for the story came when I read a headline in late November 2010: "Interpol Issues Arrest Warrant for WikiLeaks Founder".  I started to ponder who Interpol would send to capture Assange, when the words escaped my lips, "ICPO Agent Tomo Takino!"  The idea of Tomo having her dream job at Interpol became the plot for the story I'm writing now, but the more you think about the characters, the more plot ideas you get.
-- ∇×V