Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: My Sixth Plot Pony: Friendship is Sufficently Advanced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Quote:nemonowan wrote:
Well, there is the obvious Communism reference (via the fallacy that equality means homogeneity.Then there is the literary reference to the 1961 Kurt Vonnegut Jr short story Harrison Bergeron (which itself referenced the aforementioned fallacy to the point of absurdity)Then there are the more recent references to the methods used by religious cults to indoctrinate converts.
Of course, there is the question of just what exactly was Starlight Glimmer's game. What did she get out of this?
She wasn't going to conquer the world: her only defense was obscurity and her "troops" were so mediocre by design that even the usually useless royal guard would have walked all over them.She wasn't living the high life on the backs of her exploited minions like some dictators/cult leaders: we saw her living in the same squalor as everyone else (the only visible privilege was a cottage out of row), and It would be hard to get better food than those inedible muffins without giving up the game.The only thing left is a petty feeling of power and superiority over this little group of ponies, which is the most she could handle. That would fit the profile of a cult leader, although usually they use that power to get more benefits form the group. Now I am left wondering if the part about "all new members sleep in her house" was deliberately put there to reference the more unsavory predations of most cults' leadership...
Or she really believes in the philosophy she is preaching, and the only reason she kept her own cutie mark is because without her magic the goal of bringing equality to all of Equestria is impossible.  And as Meghan McCarthy has said* that Starlight Glimmer really thinks that being different ruins friendships, I'm of the opinion that she wasn't in it to hold power over others, or anything else like that.  I think what she wanted was exactly what she said she wanted: for all the ponies in Equestria to willingly give up their cutie marks, because she truly thinks that is better than the way things are now. 
*Source.  (Warning, spoilers for future episodes after 1:08)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
Or she really believes in the philosophy she is preaching, and the only reason she kept her own cutie mark is because without her magic the goal of bringing equality to all of Equestria is impossible.  And as Meghan McCarthy has said* that Starlight Glimmer really thinks that being different ruins friendships, I'm of the opinion that she wasn't in it to hold power over others, or anything else like that.  I think what she wanted was exactly what she said she wanted: for all the ponies in Equestria to willingly give up their cutie marks, because she truly thinks that is better than the way things are now. 
Humm... If that is what she is about, I would have preferred the big reveal scene to include her trying to use the spell on herself, only for it to fail the moment she removes her own cutie mark, because she loses her special magic, thus immediately getting her cutie mark back. An in, she physically CAN'T remove her own cutie mark.
Of course, that would let her paint herself as a martyr of the new regime, being the only one that can't share the true happiness of the rest of the village, which wouldn't fly with the author's intentions of delegitimizing her rule and getting her run out by a mob.
Quote:nemonowan wrote:
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
Humm... If that is what she is about, I would have preferred the big reveal scene to include her trying to use the spell on herself, only for it to fail the moment she removes her own cutie mark, because she loses her special magic, thus immediately getting her cutie mark back. An in, she physically CAN'T remove her own cutie mark.
Of course, that would let her paint herself as a martyr of the new regime, being the only one that can't share the true happiness of the rest of the village, which wouldn't fly with the author's intentions of delegitimizing her rule and getting her run out by a mob.
*Shrugs*
As Starlight Glimmer said, she studied that spell for years.  I'm not so sure it is her special talent spell.  And even if it is, she wouldn't have tried to remove her cutie mark, because actually succeeding in doing so would have made the end goal of spreading equality to all of Equestria impossible.
And even if painting herself as a martyr would have been more optimal, I still don't think she would have done so, as it would have prevented her (in her mind) from becoming friends with those who had been equalized.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
I'd like to rec Records of an Academy Disaster.

Here's the short summary:
Quote: Spitfire is apparently the only thing standing between the Wonderbolt Academy and total chaos. Temporary Captain Fleetfoot is not Spitfire.

(The story is complete, and is told mostly via images. Don't try to read on a mobile device.)
-----
Sorry for the double post, but this deserves it, after two and a half years in the making:

-----

Hazard

Yes, it does deserve this.
Okay, for the folks who may not have heard of this: for a while a group of pony fans were making a fighting game until they got too good and fell under the baleful gaze of Hasbro's lawyers.

Well, the fans got a call from Lauren Faust and the developers of Skull Girls shortly afterwards, and they rebranded their game into its own thing

[img]http://i0.wp.com/shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ThemsFightingHerdsLogo1280BG-750.png?resize=640%2C300]

They're crowdfunding right now via IndieGoGo to make it a serious game and not just a slow thing put together in five guys' garages.

[img]http://i1.wp.com/shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/LineupColor.png?resize=622%2C272]
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
An odd thought occurred to me recently. Of the Rare Changeling afflictions what would be signs of one getting too much "love"?

If the Changeling Hive is more like an ant colony would there be Repletes;
Young Changeling that are stuffed so full, that their "digestive organs" swell up, and expand the poor bugs body, till the Exoskeleton is thinned to near transparency, and is too large to move on it's own?.

Or, for a slightly older Changeling drone, would it be possible to kill it with kindness?.

Would there be a minimum safe distance for a Changeling to be near Fluttershy? Or here home/clinic?.
you're thinking of Hiver's MLP fan fic aren't you

May God forgive me (because Celestia surely won't). May history judge me charitably. These works by the infamous Honey Moon aka cuteycindyhoney are low clopfics of the worst possible kind, which is why they're linked in a spoiler box.
If they aren't your cup of tea, you have my apologies; if they are, you have my sympathies.
Yuku seems to have eaten your spoiler...
Manytales00 Wrote:Yuku seems to have eaten your spoiler...
It's showing up just fine for me. There's a clickable plus sign, anyway.
It doesn't load on my 'droid.
Manytales00 Wrote:It doesn't load on my 'droid.
I created the spoiler box using the ctrl-s function from the quick reply window. Maybe that's combining with your use of your phone to create the problem?

The actual song portion starts at about 2:05.
Lyrics:
-----
Heh. Remember the IndieGoGo drive up thread? They're funded as of 7 pm eastern today and desperately going for stretch goals in the last three days of their drive.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Hey, guys?

Has, uh, anyone noticed that RealityCheck has been steadily updating his story, The Great Alicorn Hunt lately?

Yeah, you guys might wanna get on that. It good.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/92077/ ... icorn-hunt
Recently followed a link to a fic called "Under the Northern Lights" by CoastalSarv, in Which Luna, accompanied by Twilight and Spike, goes north on a diplomatic mission to  the Raindeer Kingdom.  near the end of the story, it currently has 54 decent sized chapters (average 3500 words) and some impressive world building.  There's also the amusing fact that most of the Raindeer have an unflattering impression of Twilight due to their cultural beliefs combined by what they've heard of her.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/877/und ... ern-lights