Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A Light In The Darkness (Quest fic- votes and critiques welcome!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Void.  The end of all things.  The absence of existence.
It isn't a place, for that implies the existence of space-time.  It isn't infinite, for that implies that there's something there to be infinite.
If one were to be perfectly precise about it, it really isn't at all.  Void isn't, in much the same way reality is.  If it were a place (which it isn't), then inside it there would be no time or space... no places, no matter, and no life.  No such thing as a 'you', for that matter.  Simply... not.
Then there is thought.  Just one thought- a single concept, but inside the void that isn't, it is quite literally everything.
[IS]
The thought does not lie.  It cannot.  By virtue of existing, it exists... and where it is, Void isn't.
Soon, more thoughts come.
[What is?
I am.
Who am I?
This collection of thoughts is me.  I am the one who is.]
And then there was light.
----------A LIGHT IN THE DARKNESSA GAME OF GROWTH AND CREATION

----------
Choose an option.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
(opens mouth)
(raises finger)
(closes mouth)
No spoilers from me. But, whee! It's here! Go on and play, everyone, dis gon' be good!
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Uhm... Help?

K sai

Definately

'..Pushes help button..'
Options.

Options is always good. We can adjust the sound settings.
-A Light In The Darkness is a game.  Specifically, it's a roleplaying/adventure/strategy quest game, set in an original universe.
HOW DO I PLAY ALitD?:
-You all are, collectively, one player of the game.  In order to play the game, you have to agree on a course of action.
-At the end of every post, a collection of options will be given.  Each option will be encased in .  These are some of the actions that the player character can take.
-If you want to have a say in what the player decides to do, vote!  Post which actions you think the player should take.  Your selections must be in bold, or they will not be counted.
-Votes may also be made for an agenda.  Agendas allow multiple actions- up to a full turn worth of actions- to be voted for as a single block.  If you want your votes to be an agenda, it must be in bold.  If you want to vote for an agenda, refer to it by its creator's name- "Bluemage's agenda", for example.
-The vote is weighted.  Effective explanations of why you've picked the action(s) you have make your vote count more.  Prose descriptions of what the player character would be doing (if you're familiar with other quality games, such as Panopticon Quest, this is basically 'stunting'), make your vote count even more.
-Once the voting period ends, the votes will be tallied.  Actions will be sorted by number of votes received, in descending order, and taken until no actions remain, or no resources remain to act with.  Negative votes, such as "Do not use x", are valid actions. 
HOW DOES THE GAME WORK?
-The game is divided into turns.-Each turn consists of some number of actions.-Most actions that may be taken have a cost;
Currently, you have access to actions that cost Will to use.
-Actions that do not have a cost to use are instead limited to a number of uses per turn.  If you do not see a cost on an action, assume you may only do it once in a turn.  Exceptions will be clearly marked.
-Will allows you to create or manipulate reality.-Using Will requires that you have Will available.  It also requires that you have a Concept- a blueprint of what you want to Will into existence.
-Right now, you've learned to pull concepts out of your memories.  This is Muninn- Memory.  Making a Muninn roll allows you to derive a Concept from your memories.  The difficulty of the roll depends on the complexity of the Concept.  -Muninn rolls may also be used in other ways.  Try to find them all!
WHERE CAN I GO TO LEARN MORE?
Help functions are integrated into the game engine!  Simply ask a question, and the help system will attempt to enlighten you.

I've been writing a bit.

Seraviel

Options
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.
Sound
Volume:   Master-     {0}----25----50----75---100   Voice-       {0}----25----50----75---100   SFX-         {0}----25----50----75---100   Music-        0----25----50----75---{100}
Audio Language:   [Cantonese   V]
Subtitles:  [ ]
   Subtitle Language:  [English  V]
Director Commentary:   [ ]
Video
Screen Resolution:   [Auto  V]
Graphics Quality:   [Extremely Simple   V]
Anti-Aliasing:   [Disabled   V]
Vsync:   [X]
Post-Processing:   [  ]
Pre-Processing:   [  ]
Post-Post-Processing:   [  ]
Full Screen:   [  ]
Game
Difficulty:  [Nightmare!   V]
Enable Tooltips:  [  ]
Invert Controls:   [  ]
Mouse Sensitivity:       0----25----{50}----75---100Joystick Sensitivity:     0----25----50----75---{100}Keyboard Sensitivity:  0----25----{50}----75---100
Handedness:   [Left   V]

I've been writing a bit.
(is laughing like crazy behind both hands pressed against face)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Sirrocco

[X] Select the Difficulty line. What options are available?
The drop-down box contains the following options:

I've been writing a bit.
Turn on Post-Post-Processing, be sure to leave Post-Processing turned off.

Set "Handedness" to Ambidextrous.

Enable tooltips.

[jk?] Type *@[=g3,8d]&fbb=-q]/hk%fg" then press the DELETE key. (Am I joking? I have no idea!)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Seraviel

Set difficulty to Old Testament (Because destruction from the heaven is necessary)

Set graphic quality to Best.

Set Master, Voice and SFX to 75.

Set Music to 50.

Apply the changes.

Input the Konami code (????????BA) as a test.

Edited, as two words were missing somehow. Thank your ClassicDrogn for making me notice.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.
Turn on subtitles.

Set subtitle timing offset to three seconds.

-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Having built a shiny new 4th wall for myself, the part on the side that isn't dancing like a naughty schoolkid eager to watch the joke can now participate. Here goes then...

-------------------------- #4 ------------------------------

Isn't anyone going to vote for Tooltips or Director's Commentary? Knowing more about the new existence we find ourself in is apt to be useful, after all.

Edit: I see Jorlem is with me on the Tooltips, at least. Seraviel, does the difficulty you name equal Old Testament? Because I'm good with picking either of the middle ones.

All bold text in this post is a vote for that option.
--
Quote:Seraviel wrote:
(Snip)
Plan Seraviel. Because the choices are broadly what I'd make, and the Konami Code amuses the hell out of me.
-- Acyl
Plan Jorlem plus Plan Seraviel
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I'm so tempted by Director Commentary... and terrified of the possible results of the Freakazoid code meeting the Konami code.

Oh, well, in for a penny...

Plan Jorlem plus Plan Seraviel, plus...

Set Director's Commentary On
Set Audio Language to English (because I want to understand the Director's Commentary)

Enter "xyzzy" and hit return.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Oh, I got you guys now.  How badly do we want this shit to go off the rails?
This is how badly I want it to go off the rails.
Plan Bob Schroeck...PLUS...Keep Difficulty Level At Nightmare (This is the only way to unlock the ultimate end, ya see?)Type in IDKFA, hit ENTER.Type in IDDQD, hit ENTER.LET THE CARNAGE FLOW.

Thesilentjackofalltrade

Plan BA.
PLUS!Exit options after that.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Oh sweet mercy, if he goes for this we're gonna be so ridiculously supermunchkinned that ordinary supermunchkins will pale in comparison. *wild cackle*
Votes tabulated.
[Director Commentary enabled](This means I get to talk to you!  Finally!)
[Tooltips enabled](Now you get a little blurb whenever you unlock a new game mechanic.)
[Graphics quality is now set to: Hex Map](Believe it or not, that's the best quality available.  I'm an IT guy, not an artist.)
[Audio volumes changed](...and the only one that actually matters is Music.  Everything important is 'said' in text, and there are no SFX.If I link a Youtube clip for BGM, you now have to set it to 50% volume.  You're on the honor system, here! Tongue)
[Post is now being post-processed][Handedness set to I Don't Care][Subtitles set to English- Hong Kong Dub]
[Difficulty remains at Nightmare! (Healing spells and items have no effect.  Enemies now respawn after six seconds.  Enemies do more damage.  Health gradually lowers until it reaches 1/4 of your maximum health.  Player now starts with the Soul Cube concept in memory.)](...and you thought that this was classic Doom?)
[Options Applied.  Exiting Options.]
UUDDLRLRBA*ding*
[SECRET CHEAT MENU Unlocked!][ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED- You cheating cheater!Unlock the SECRET CHEAT MENU.+- 5 pts.](This is actually one of the first two achievements available- the harder of the two to get.  I like the lateral thinking.)
"*@[=g3,8d]&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"{DEL}
The screen freaks out for a moment, and then goes back to normal.
xyzzy
Four times as much happens.
IDKFA{Enter}
Cheater!  You don't deserve weapons![Soul Cube removed from inventory!](That only worked in classic Doom.  You may wish to consider the implications of this.)
IDDQD...(Are you sure you want to hit Enter?)

I've been writing a bit.
Well, the game seems to involve us playing god, so I think God-Mode would be appropriate.

Yes
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7