Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: New Fic Recomendations: Hey Look there's a lot of Typewriters!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

stormcloud

Gabriel Blessing new parody fic (F S/N & Monster Girl) 2 Chapters
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8094905/1/S ... rotagonist
On Series ... scott pilgrim/ buffy/ anita blake / others
centered mostly around ramona flowers (at least, the first story) discovering just how special she really is
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
http://www.fanfiction.net...lorious_Shotgun_Princess

GreggHL does a Mass Effect/Exalted crossover.
Matrix Dragon Wrote:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8107629/1/M ... n_Princess

GreggHL does a Mass Effect/Exalted crossover.

Oh, yes... I've been following this on spacebattles. I don't know *that* much about Exalted (Just reading the thread has more than doubled my knowledge), but GreggHL has hit this out of the park for hilariousness if you're familiar with Mass Effect.

LegionWuffles: "That is an acceptable designation. We are Wuffles, a terminal of the Geth."

SCM Writer of 2814

The result of being in the Dresden Files fandom and Haiyore! Nyarko-san fandom at the same time...
New story from Shadow Crystal Mage,
Title: Kuki! Walky-chan!
Category: Dresden Files
Character(s): H. Dresden

Words: 2,059
Genre(s): Humor/Parody
Rating: Rated: K+
Summary: Young Harry Dresden meets an Outsider and suffers a fate worse than insanity… a self-proclaimed girlfriend! Abnormal, Unspeakable, Blasphemous, Ominous, Chaotic, Romance Crack.
URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8108942/1/
Basically,
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke

CattyNebulart

I just finished reading this completed story. It's quite a good take on a 'What if Tsukune wasn't quite human?' Rosario+Vampire

http://www.fanfiction.net...anger_in_a_Strange_World
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

K sai

Not usually a Love Hina fan but:

Contract Labour - AU/MX'ver

What if Keitaro had a spine?
K sai Wrote:Not usually a Love Hina fan but:

Contract Labour - AU/MX'ver

What if Keitaro had a spine?
*Reads about 25 chapters or so...*
JEEZE!  Folks, this sucker ain't for the faint of heart.  It's not grimdark, and I wouldn't really call it deconstruction... but DAYUM!!!  I'll say this much outside the spoiler tag... the book of cute slapstick romantic comedy shenanigans has gone flying out of the window, soak in gasoline and trailing flames and black smoke. 

K sai

Quote:but DAYUM!!!

(Scratches back of head embarrassedly) Yeah, come to think of it, maybe I should have put a 'Realism' tag on it or something... Sorry for anyone that got a shock.

I just thought the depth of thought that had been put into giving the Tsun characters realistic reasons to act so mental - plus the real-world consequences of what they did was good. As opposed to the usual - 'Abuse of designated punch bag is funny - teehee' 

Yes, I am aware that the designated punchbag/WilleECoyote routine of LH is the point of the show... as I said, not usually a fan...

And yes, it is a MEGA crossover with references to many other more 'realistic/adult' animes but so carefully done it kinda sneaks up on you.

Sorry again.
Enhh. It's okay in parts, but there are chunks that swerve almost violently into the SI wish fulfillment area (and not in a good way). Keitaro himself almost literally has no personal faults and is just sort of generically awesome - and in a addition, he never really personally contributes to the problems.

It was mostly readable, but I'm probably not going to continue following it.
Hmmm.  Maybe I should pick that up again.  I only read the first chapter before throwing it aside; I'd read a number of fics that had mild Akane bashing and a far too reasonable Ranma immediately before that, so I had very little tolerance for "bash the tsundere".  I had no desire to read a repeat of one of those, so I through the story aside.  If I was mistaken though...

Jenova Silverstar

Asymmetrical Warfare
(HP oneshot)
A twist based of the snatchers scene from Deathly Hallows.
By KUCrow1997, the author of One Wizard Too Many
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
--Dr. Seuss

WengFook

Azunth Wrote:Hmmm.  Maybe I should pick that up again.  I only read the first chapter before throwing it aside; I'd read a number of fics that had mild Akane bashing and a far too reasonable Ranma immediately before that, so I had very little tolerance for "bash the tsundere".  I had no desire to read a repeat of one of those, so I through the story aside.  If I was mistaken though...
I can't remember where I read this but someone once said that a mistake a lot of fanfic writers make is taking the funny slapstick comedy out of a series but leave the physical abuse in, which makes for a very bad read since all the characters are going off cues and reactions that are no longer appropriate for the story :S
WengFook Wrote:I can't remember where I read this but someone once said that a mistake a lot of fanfic writers make is taking the funny slapstick comedy out of a series but leave the physical abuse in, which makes for a very bad read since all the characters are going off cues and reactions that are no longer appropriate for the story :S
Well, I dunno about this one.  Yeah, a lot of the slapstick has gone *poof* but the author has left in reasons for why it's not funny.  The treatment of sexual harassment in Japan is a joke, and it figures heavily into the psychological issues of Naru, Motoko, and Kanako in this story.  It's really not surprising, but they've only began to really address the issue in recent years.
Also, some of the wish fulfillment we see... well...  Guess what, folks?  In Japan, if you are one of the few surviving males in one of these old samurai families, the matriarchal figure *will* instruct you to get your dumb ass out there and make some babies.  Married or not, it doesn't matter because they'll be adopted regardless (especially when given the *very* generous terms Granny Hina gave those two).  Besides, this is keeping in-character with the plot of a harem anime.  After all, it isn't really a harem if you don't have more than one woman vying for your attention (preferably at least three).
Also, given the case of our two favorite police girls... I can see it.  Yeah, the setting's a bit goofy, but even that aside these two girls would be hard-pressed to find an interested Japanese guy in the real world.  Seriously.  Tough, strong, likes firearms... and the maraschino cherry on top?  They're over 25 years old.  Yes, that's right folks.  The Christmas Cake Effect* is a very real thing (and probably a contributing factor to declining birth rates).  Don't believe me?  Check out an international dating site sometime.  Most of your Japanese females will be at least 26 (with the younger ones just being either curious or savvy).
*Christmas Cake Effect - for those that don't know about this oddball of J-culture... a woman over the age of 25 and still single is seen as undesirable and men tend to avoid these 'older' women.  They're called Christmas Cakes because it's like those fruit cakes during the Christmas season... nobody wants any after the 25th.
potter oneshot. a different way to keep the secret.

http://www.fanfiction.net.../1/Who_Needs_Obliviators
colorblind .. buffy's days in the military continue... now up to chapter 2
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
www.fanfiction.net/s/8127137/1/Palimpsest
Palimpsest, a new Hermione centered Harry Potter time travel fic by Larry Huss.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Quote:Palimpsest
Not a lot there yet, but what is is very nice. I'm going to be following this one. Thanks, Shepherd!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

K sai

Quote:I'm going to be following this one

Thirded, definitely...
This isn't fanfiction so much as fanart, but I think it's close enough to count: The SummHarry -- the entire Harry Potter saga in pictures. Warning: this is a 20-Megabyte image.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

SCM Writer of 2814

FATE: War of the Great Grail

Category: Fate/stay night
Character(s): Shiro E. & Illyasviel von Einzbern

Words: 6,422
Genre(s): General/Suspense
Rating: Rated: T
Summary: A wish that wants to be fulfilled. A Grail tainted. An Grail
incomplete. A Grail that watches. A Grail that wants to be used. 28 people get
another chance to make a wish. Win, lose or draw, SOMEONE'S wishing on the
Grail…

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8136056/1/

28 Masters. 28 Servants. An untainted wish up for grabs. And at least 3 Shirous in the running.
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke
blackaeronaut Wrote:
WengFook Wrote:I can't remember where I read this but someone once said that a mistake a lot of fanfic writers make is taking the funny slapstick comedy out of a series but leave the physical abuse in, which makes for a very bad read since all the characters are going off cues and reactions that are no longer appropriate for the story :S
Well, I dunno about this one.  Yeah, a lot of the slapstick has gone *poof* but the author has left in reasons for why it's not funny.  The treatment of sexual harassment in Japan is a joke, and it figures heavily into the psychological issues of Naru, Motoko, and Kanako in this story.  It's really not surprising, but they've only began to really address the issue in recent years.
Also, some of the wish fulfillment we see... well...  Guess what, folks?  In Japan, if you are one of the few surviving males in one of these old samurai families, the matriarchal figure *will* instruct you to get your dumb ass out there and make some babies.  Married or not, it doesn't matter because they'll be adopted regardless (especially when given the *very* generous terms Granny Hina gave those two).  Besides, this is keeping in-character with the plot of a harem anime.  After all, it isn't really a harem if you don't have more than one woman vying for your attention (preferably at least three).
Also, given the case of our two favorite police girls... I can see it.  Yeah, the setting's a bit goofy, but even that aside these two girls would be hard-pressed to find an interested Japanese guy in the real world.  Seriously.  Tough, strong, likes firearms... and the maraschino cherry on top?  They're over 25 years old.  Yes, that's right folks.  The Christmas Cake Effect* is a very real thing (and probably a contributing factor to declining birth rates).  Don't believe me?  Check out an international dating site sometime.  Most of your Japanese females will be at least 26 (with the younger ones just being either curious or savvy).
*Christmas Cake Effect - for those that don't know about this oddball of J-culture... a woman over the age of 25 and still single is seen as undesirable and men tend to avoid these 'older' women.  They're called Christmas Cakes because it's like those fruit cakes during the Christmas season... nobody wants any after the 25th.
Honestly, I actually don't have a problem with the reactions from the girls for the most part. Motoko's treated maybe a tad harshly (by the narrative) but I can't quite call it bashing, especially in light of how obvious most bash fics are. Basically the one thing the fic is pretty good about is providing enough background to explain _why_ the girls act as they do, unacceptable or not. With that said, the characters are a bit more sympathetic.
The issue I have is some of the peripheral stuff. I understand that the YUA might indeed have issues with finding a male partner in Japan. My problem isn't that, my issue is that they're in the fic in the first place. Simply put, the two characters are there pretty much _just_ to provide this version of Keitaro with what amounts to average American guy's dream women. In terms of the overarching story, aside from some amusing asides, they don't strike me as adding much. Nor for that matter does the flashbacks to Keitaro's moments of awesomeness - those could have easily been revealed in conversation rather than zomg amazing combat flashbacks.
Let me put it this way, the fic's beginning led me to believe I'd see LH resolved via a confident mature Keitaro. I got combat god samurai Keitaro(who is at least competent in everything else) instead.
http://www.fanfiction.net...4828/1/Collapse_Into_Now

Collapse Into Now

On its way to Betelgeuse V, the TARDIS materializes in a certain Scottish boarding school. Things proceed, as expected, to get Complicated.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
On the Imperium's secret service. The imperium isn't really worth defending, but it's collapse would arguably be worse. Mai and Mariko are two unlucky merchants who get roped into trying to hold the thing togther. Not actually related to or THAT similar to WH40k, despite the description. The characters are a little flat, but the universe building is good.
www.fanfiction.net/s/4019373/22/Common_Sense
Power is Power, a moderately long Harry Potter oneshot by DisobedienceWriter.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13