Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: New Fic Recomendations: Hey Look there's a lot of Typewriters!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
SCM has started a new fic, titled The Codex Equestria: Pony's Fury.  You can find it here.
MLP/Codex Alera. 
Big Grin
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
www.fanfiction.net/s/7392700/1/Banking_on_Her
Banking on Her (a new Potter fic by Robst, already up to chapter 5).
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
www.fanfiction.net/s/7512124/1/Lessons_With_Hagrid
Lessons With Hagrid (Potter, humor one-shot, Hagrid teaches Harry occlumency)

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
http://www.fanfiction.net...47125/1/A_Study_in_Magic

A Study in Magic, a Sherlock Holmes (Doyle) and HP cross. Harry raised by Sherlock.

K sai

Sorry, had something else here before, but deleted it - Couldn't get rid of the actual post.
K sai Wrote:
Quote:

very profound.

Wink
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
The Mouse of Konoha
Never underestimate the power of good advice. A few wise words into a pair of young ears leads a young would-be ninja to a decision; the Leaf will recognise him, but not as the fox...Naruto - Rated: T - English - Humor/Friendship - Chapters: 15 - Words: 299,115 - Reviews: 745 - Updated: 10-27-11 - Published: 1-28-11 - Naruto U

Quote:"Ahhh!" A single finger shot out as though impaling one of the council members, the justification for such a fearful reaction being declared a second later, "Mumm-Ra!"
What the...?; not that he'd fault the boy for being wary of Danzo just on principle but the curse he'd spat upon the bandaged shinobi veteran was completely alien to the Yamanaka though not, he realised as he heard movement to the side of him and glanced over to see Tsumes' shoulders shaking with mirth, to all present. Noticing his scrutiny, the Inuzuka leant over slightly as she mastered herself and whispered out the corner of her mouth,
"You need kids of a certain age to understand Ino-kun, probably boys", she elaborated after realising her son and Inoichi's daughter were the same age give or take a few month. Deciding this was one of things he'd have to ask about later Inoichi left it alone for the moment, settling back in his seat as Sarutobi, recovering himself from his own smirk at seeing his long-term rival wrong-footed so unexpectedly, took charge again,
"Forgive me informer-san but that is Shimura Danzo, one of my advisors and, despite the resemblance, not related to your cartoon evil-doer"
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Cleaning no Jutsu
She seemed determined enough. Maybe she'd be able to finally answer the question that had been bugging him for a while now, since he had realised he'd forgotten the answer years ago. What colour was his carpet? eventual OC/Gai Rated for swearingNaruto - Rated: T - English - Humor - Chapters: 5 - Words: 11,485 - Reviews: 20 - Updated: 11-8-11 - Published: 6-21-11 - Genma S. & Gai M.

Quote:"It's not paranoia if they're out to get you," he said lightly.
Hikari stood her ground. "I'm a one-legged civilian cleaning lady, whose younger brother is a genin, whose elder sister is married to an Akimichi, and whose family has been in the village for three generations. I could give less of a damn about politics unless they directly pertain to me, and I have been the target of enough gossip to have a healthy loathing of it. I'm loyal to the village, have zero ties to forces outside of it, and I have this crazy feeling that even on an off day most of you could beat me in a running race," she finished dryly. "I'm not really asking anyone to trust me any more than you might trust the village locksmith, or the chefs and waiters at any of the restaurants you eat at. I mean, I figure that's why there are so many Akimichi restaurants, right?"
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

paladindythe

Spacebattles gives us another winner: from the super active 'A Familiar Thread' reguarding Louise from Zero no Tsukaima (Familiar of Zero) summoning someone different, Louise summons the Grandma Loli herself, Evangeline The Gospel of Darkness--before Negi steped foot on Mahora Academy.
A Summon Goes Wrong

Quote:“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!”
Louise stared in shock at the girl. She was holding
her sides as she almost doubled over with laughter. Louise felt shame and anger
start to burn in her chest. So even her familiar laughed at her?

Professor Colbert on the other hand felt the hair on the back of his
neck stand on end. Something about this situation was making his instincts from
his days as the Flame Snake start to go crazy. Out of the corner of his eye,
Colbert noticed that Miss Tabitha, a mage who had already earned the title of
Chevalier, move to get in a better position behind the summoned
familiar.
The young girl finally stopped laughing and stood straight up
wiping a tear from her eye as she looked at Louise.
“Oh did I need that.
That has to be the funniest thing I've heard in years. To think that there's
actually someone stupid enough to try to bind me of all the people in
the  world as a familiar. Ahh, it's good to know that the world still breeds
such  idiots.”
Louise bristled in rage at the child's words. The students
around them started laughing and talking amongst themselves, wondering just
where this girl had come from that she would speak in such a manner to a
noble.
“Still, I suppose I should be grateful.” The girl said as she ran
her hands down her body in a way that would have been erotic if done by an
older  woman and looked disturbing when done by a child. “After all for the
first time  in fifteen long years I'm finally free of that man's
curse.”
So, what happens? A few minutes of mayhem as Eva-chan cuts loose, followed by this:

Quote:A crushing weight fell on Evangeline's shoulders. A weight formed out of a
forced feeling of fear, as a glaring pressure of anger and disappointment
burned  into her. Evangeline turned her head slowly, the only movement allowed
to her as  she looked behind her. A swirling vortex of darkness had formed
behind her, the  source of the imposed feelings. A massive hand reached out of
the darkness for  her and grabbed the mighty vampire by the back of the
neck.
“Yo-You've  got to be kidding me! Just.......just how much power
did you put into this  curse, Thousand Master!”
Evangeline could do
nothing, not even let go of  the girl in her arms, as she was dragged bodily
through the portal of darkness  that she knew would take her back to Mahora.
Check it out, if you like.
Now here's one I would have filed in CTSNB, if it wasn't not only already written but already complete:

http://www.fanfiction.net...Sun_The_Complete_Trilogy

Star Wars fuses with Superman - and not Smallville supes, since he's bulletproof-level super even as a baby, despite being listed in that category. Caveat: I've only read the first three chapters, which is not even up to the beginning of ANH. Buuuuut, those three chapters have been pretty good. Only time will reveal if it stays up to standard, however.

- CD

ETA: TVTropes link, relevant to Ch4:

Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

K sai

Forgive me if this has been rec'd here before - I can't find it:

Naruto AU: The Empty Cage (or should that be Kage?)

The butterfly here is simple: The Nine Tails is a Thanatos of Epic Proportions. And he's read the Evil Overlord list...

Oh and everyone in the 'verse has been given a badass and common sense upgrade - which does not necessarily make things better - more like they make big mistakes for perfectly rational reasons

And it's well written. Not a Canon ReWrite. I was really sad when I ran out of chapters...
Speaking of Superman fusions, try this one: Last Child of Krypton by Chuckman (author of The Riddle of Steel). Superman and Evangelion. And it's good.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Having finished his My(stara) Little Ponies story, John Biles has begun posting his Nanoha/Hayate the Combat Butler fic A Pair of Queens. It's already finished, but he'll be posting a chunk a day on Spacebattles.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=207700 
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 

HoagieOfDoom

The Man With No Name, by Frostfyre7. (FFNet) Firefly (Post-Serenity)/Doctor Who (Tenth Doctor) "He hadn't really counted on getting into a pub brawl over the color of his coat on some speck of a planet, or signing up with a crew of petty criminals. Still, he'd always wondered what really happened to those Lost Colonists from Earth..."

This is a great read. I'm a big fan of the way the author writes the dialogue between the Doctor and the crew of the Serenity. I haven't seen too much Doctor Who (I'm most familiar with David Tennant's tenure) but it feels very true to both sources.
Like Hell He Will by Manchester.
Harry Potter oneshot in which a new prophecy results in Harry's duel in the forest with Voldemort being interrupted with a very unexpected outcome.
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

K sai

Currently reading through A:TLA AU works of James Golen

Lots of world building - different style than Vathara but just as compelling with use of secondary characters as AU points and very deep character development.

Two series set in the same AU'verse with but with different diversion points:

Children of the War (A:CoTW): 'Butterfly wings' AU off the Canon series. Jeong Jeong never goes AWOL, Suki is a decade older and Ty Lee gets left behind on Kyoshi Isle by the circus a year before the Avatar shows up.

Book One: Water. Complete

Book Two: Earth. Complete

Book Three: Fire. Complete

Sequel to A:CotW - War of Flames. Six years after Sozin's Comet, Azula finally awakens from her madness, to find she is going to be used as a figurehead. But she has a nasty surprise in store for her puppet-masters. Complete.
I'm amending this recommendation. I completed the first series and it was good, although the Flames sequel started getting fairly surreal towards the end. Since it was Azula-centred I found that understandable.But the other series is set in a Avatar world where changes in the time stream have rendered the Characters very, left of centre, lets say - and there's a lot of focus on OCs.  It's also very Grim-Dark. So despite the excellent writing, I'm not enjoying  'Three Families'.  That's my personal taste showing though - I'm not a fan of Grim-Dark anything - others may like it.
www.fanfiction.net/s/7591040/1/The_Quee ... l_to_Earth
Bobmin has started an interesting Harry Potter/Dragonriders of Pern fic.

Technically, this is an update. But seeing as it's a oneshot turning into a series I figured I'd repeat my recommendation.

Blood & Iron, a Warhammer40K crossover with the Bolo series.

The same author has another Warhammer40K crossover that is worth a giggle. When A God Emperor Goes To War, is a oneshot which mixes W40K with Doctor Who. Possible spoilers for Mid Season 6 of Doctor Who.
Storybook Hero New(ly expanded from Skysaber's bunnies anthology) by Dogbertcarrol, young Harry Potter is pretty sure he's living in a fairytail, and the evidence just keeps stacking up. Typical Dogbertcarrol high quality.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5690799/1/ Intoxication

harry potter, post-(slightly different) final battle one-shot.... somewhat disturbing at the end
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Z, that's well written and all, but still rather repulsive. As if Harry wasn't deconstructed-hero enough in canon!

- CD
--
From the mind that has already crossed Buffy with the A-team, Predator and few other settings that were unable to escape I bring a work in progress that crosses Buffy with a work that is partially in the public domain.
Willow Rosenberg and the Mind Riders (Buffy/Tow Swift)
It draws heavily on the literary canon in question, so expect people quickly grasping new technologies, rather silly chapter titles and all the pulpy goodness that comes with a Tom Swift story.
"All right, you lot." Oglo barked out. "Our job is to find out where the enemy is, what they're doing and how loudly they yell when their valuables go missing!"

http://www.fanfiction.net.../Saruman_of_many_Devices is a oneshot crossover of LotR with the General Belisarius series. It's pretty cool.

- CD
--
Quote:Z, that's well written and all, but still rather repulsive. As if Harry wasn't deconstructed-hero enough in canon!

oh, i totally agree... i was actually enjoying it until the climax (heh) when it took a sharp turn into bitter end territory. it's still a good story and i like it for what it is...

----
Speaking of utter and total crack...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7449843/1/Naruto_Emiya

Naruto Emiya. Yeah. Naruto is Archer. And is utterly nutzoid, and has apparently visited pretty much every 'verse out there to add toys to Unlimited Blade Works.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13