Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 201
» Latest member: Dani Tseng
» Forum threads: 13,888
» Forum posts: 211,937

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 165 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 163 Guest(s)
Bing, Facebook

Latest Threads
Video Madness XI
Forum: General Chatter
Last Post: classicdrogn
2 hours ago
» Replies: 151
» Views: 8,602
Fic Update Thread 53
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
Last Post: classicdrogn
2 hours ago
» Replies: 175
» Views: 6,139
The new Seraph's
Forum: The Legendary
Last Post: Dark Seraph
8 hours ago
» Replies: 37
» Views: 805
Image Thread 29
Last Post: Norgarth
Yesterday, 10:23 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 353
Another reset
Forum: Forums
Last Post: Bob Schroeck
Yesterday, 05:54 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 584
Dearly Departed of 2024
Last Post: robkelk
Yesterday, 05:34 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 1,493
El Salvador's President l...
Forum: Politics and Other Fun
Yesterday, 04:52 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 23
Beware of Chicken - Limit...
Last Post: Shepherd
04-30-2024, 10:10 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 338
Quotes to hang a story on
Forum: Fenspace
Last Post: Dartz
04-30-2024, 05:58 PM
» Replies: 267
» Views: 125,101
Isekai by Moonlight
Forum: Other People's Fanfiction
04-28-2024, 02:04 PM
» Replies: 93
» Views: 7,365

Don't know if this's been mentioned...
Posted by: Valles - 04-01-2003, 11:30 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk VI: Angel Baby - Replies (1)

Red Cross Book
I haven't had the time to give it a full readthrough yet, but for my skimming I'd say that the phrasing is vague enough to include just about every theory that's been aired on this board so far.
For instance, 'derived from Lillith' and 'originally having belonged to Lillith' are not at all the same thing. Far's I can see, the same comment (RE: where Rei's soul came from) would hold true for the whole human race.
On reflection, my opinion of the Rei/Lillith thing is that while there is enough genetic and 'aural' connection/similarity to create the observe merging effect, their minds, or souls if you insist on being religious, have little to nothing in common... because both of those things are dependant upon free will, which (at least by what my skimming indicates) neither Lillith nor the Angels have.
Lillith turns into Rei, and previously was unable to move from the cross, because there was nobody home and she wasn't getting any orders from outside.
Rei, on the other hand, -could- have been normal enough, if Rokubungi and SEELE hadn't fucked her over from day one.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Print this item

Other LT(tm Warner Bros.) references.
Posted by: Draconan - 04-01-2003, 03:37 AM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk II: Robot's Rules of Order - Replies (18)

Hello all, long time no post, but this bit of mayhem has been cross-checking around inside my head and finally found a way out.
I was raised on Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies(which gives you an idea of my normal mental state) and a few of these references parsed themselves against my will when I re-read DWII:
"Ho, ho, ho. Doug-Hunters is da cwaziest peoples." (I do believe I've found a .sig for this board)
"Ahhhh, yes! Frustrating, isn't it?"
(Bogart from 'The African Queen' strides into frame. Any part of the series.) "Pardon me, sir, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"
"Katherine Madigan. Soooooooper Geeeeeenius!"
Doug pauses as he is about to administer some righteous self-defense to the beginning pack of 'crunchies' and, breaking the fourth wall, notices the audience. He stretches a hand upward out-of-frame and pulls down a black window shade with the word 'CENSORED' proudly stenciled in yellow on its surface. Sounds of violence ensue, rattling the window shade.
How about you guys?
---
Draconan
"Ho, ho, ho. Doug-Hunters is da cwaziest peoples."

Print this item

A difficult song
Posted by: Aleh - 03-31-2003, 09:20 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

Okay... the problem with this song isn't finding an appropriate effect, it's that there are *TOO MANY* potential effects, most of which are far too 'game-breaking'.
Nageki no Rosario, the opening to Gravion (artist unknown)

Tsuki ga yami o terasu toki,
Densetsu ga sora wo ubau.
Kindan no duel no toki,
Tada toss ga yonderu,
Tooku.
Beauty, kamen ni kakushita,
Tsumi no itami to hikikaeri.
Zutto, sagashitsuzuketeru shinjitsu dake o,
Unmei ni tomadou nageki no rosario.
Teppei nai gimoku ga ai ni furueteru.
Tsuki ga yami o terasu toki,
Densetsu ga sora wo ubau.
Kanenai kida tenshi-tachi yo utsukushiku tobe,
Kindan no duel no toki,
Tada toss ga yonderu,
Tooku.

This translates roughly as:
When the moon reveals the darkness,
Legends dance in the sky.
At the time of the forbidden duel,
Only the toss calls to you,
Far away.
Beauty, hidden behind a mask,
Traded for the pain of guilt,
I'm looking for the truth.
Confused in its destiny, a rosary of guilt.
The memories I cannot erase are shivering on love.
When the moon reveals the darkness,
Legends dance in the sky.
O angels without hope, fly beautifully.
At the time of the forbidden duel,
Only the toss calls to you,
Far away.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]

Print this item

A Shoggoth On The Roof
Posted by: Acyl - 03-31-2003, 04:13 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

www.cthulhulives.org/Musical/cdinfo.html
That is all.
- Acyl
-- Acyl

Print this item

Some fun...
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 03-30-2003, 10:02 PM - Forum: Drunkard's Walk VI: Angel Baby - Replies (25)

Okay, I wrote the following passage a couple weeks ago just as a gag, after rereading Skysaber's "Otaku 3 -- Eva Revolution". Those of you not familiar with this fic, it's one of Jared Ornstead's "Skysaber" self-inserts, but because of the baggage Skysaber brings to the Eva world, the fact that he's taking the place of Shinji, and the tactic he chooses to derail Gendo's plans, it turns the plot of Eva onto a hilarious and wildly divergent path. Even though Skysaber's work is always uneven (there are moments of brilliance and there are times when you want to strangle him), I highly recommend it; the good parts outweigh the bad parts.

Anyway.

I wrote the following as a gag, and as a tip of the hat to Skysaber, in much the way that there are tips of the hat to other authors in DW2. I sent it off to my prereaders, whose unanimous silence was overwhelming... so I'm posting it here, at least to see if it's the humorous bit I think it is. There's no promise that this will actually go into DW6, but then again, "Sailor Loon" was originally a gag bit written just for laughs and never intended to be actually used...

-- Bob

The current tape in his DAT player at its end, Shinji drifted out
of his room to the kitchen in search of a snack. Opening one
cabinet after another, he surveyed their contents half-heartedly,
knowing that he wanted to eat *something*, but not *what*.
Finally, he selected a bag of wasabi peas that Misato had opened
a couple of nights earlier, then followed the sound of the
television out to the living room.

Asuka and Rei were sprawled on the floor, intent on an anime that
seemed to focus around several girls wearing short, flouncy
dresses in bright primary colors. "What are you watching?" he
asked.

Both girls looked up at him with a simultaneity he found eerie.
"'Cutie Emerald and the Gemstone Girls'," Asuka replied with a
grin.

Shinji settled himself onto the couch behind them and begin
undoing the twist-tie on the bag. "Mahou shoujo show?"

"Yes," Rei replied, as both girls returned their eyes to the
screen. "It is... interesting."

"It's fun, is what it is," Asuka corrected, and Rei slowly
nodded. "Hey, Shinji," the redhead continued, "take a look.
Don't you think Magical Soldier Cutie Emerald looks like Misato?"
She waved a hand at the screen, where a green-clad 14-year-old
blasted her enemies with a beam of glittering power.

He tossed a few wasabi peas in his mouth and studied the smiling
face as he chewed. Then he wrinkled his nose. "No way. She's
*blonde*. The hair is all wrong."

Asuka hmphed, clearly disagreeing. "What do *you* know? You
probably don't think Cutie Sapphire looks like me, either."

"To be honest," Rei said, "the resemblance is not very strong."

Asuka made a rude noise.

"However," Rei continued, unperturbed, "*I* am clearly identical
to Cutie Ruby."

Shinji shook his head. "You two are both nuts, you know that?"
he said around another mouthful of peas.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Print this item

Yet Another Introduction
Posted by: Koryimran - 03-27-2003, 10:55 PM - Forum: Introductions - Replies (3)

I should have done this sooner but sometimes my stupid side comes out when my attention wanders. So anyway on with the introduction. I'm 24 and was lucky enough to graduate from college with a BA: MIS degree. Also in college I joined a internationl co-ed service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega. Which I'm still active in today. I'm currently hoping to get back into school for another Bachlor's degree this time in Teaching.
I'm also a gamer. I've played a bunch of different systems most often MERPs and the Palladium system. I'm also into strategy and war games on the computer and their board game incarnations.
I'm an anime fan with a large range of likeable series. Also I like to read and read a lot. My main intrliest for books is Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Fiction. Finally last but not least I'm a large music fan. I currently own over 300 cds with stuff from just about every different genre out there. I think that's it. Any questions can be directed here to this thread I guess.

Shawn Earl

Print this item

Lower your Self-Esteem in a Minute or Less!
Posted by: Evil Midnight Lurker - 03-27-2003, 02:00 AM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (10)

To temporarily deflate your local Doctor Doom clone's megalomania, I give you:
National Lampoon's "Deteriorata."
Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right,
But that three lefts do.
Wherever possible put people on "HOLD".
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
And despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.
Remember the Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you;
That lemon on your left for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls,
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore; it will stick to your face.
Carefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan,
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
For a good time, call 606-4311.
Take heart amid the deepening gloom that your dog
Is finally getting enough cheese;
And reflect that whatever fortunes may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Sioux City.
You are a fluke of the Universe.
You have no right to be here.
And, whether you can hear it or not,
The Universe is laughing behind your back.
Therefore make peace with your God whatever you conceive him to be,
Hairy Thunderer or Cosmic Muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up.
-----
(of course, once the song shuts down, you've got a very -angry- megalomaniac on your hands. But what's one more Hunted?)
--Sam
"I will now lower you into my pit of man-eating alligators and cows!"

Print this item

Thoughts:
Posted by: Valles - 03-22-2003, 12:46 PM - Forum: The Game Everyone Loves To Play - Replies (3)

"Shot through the heart/and you're to blame" Bon Jovi - Shot Through the Heart -- Either very good (bow and arrows that don't miss) or very bad (the -enemy- can't miss)
"Just got paid today/Got me a pocket full of change" ZZ Top - Just Got Paid -- Well, all those coins that dissapear into the couch cusions have to go -somewhere-
Aladdin Soundtrack - One Jump Ahead -- Whoever's chasing Doug can't catch up (probably with appropriate slapstick style SPFX). Drawback? Once he's used this, The Law Is Not His Friend (for the rest of the day)
"Left right left/we all fall down like toy soldiers" Martika - Toy Soldiers -- Doug can knock down anyone in his area of affect at will (and -no- -one- therin can bend their knees or elbows)
"After midnight/we're gonna let it all hang down" ? - After Midnight -- metasong that resets Doug's 'songs used' list, with itself added as the first item on the new list.
"Thirty minutes to alter our life/Thirty minutes a moment in time" Tatu - Thirty Minutes -- implants a suggestion in the mind of everyone in Doug's area of affect that compels them to make a decision about whatever issue they were least decided on at the end of a thirty minute period, determined from the beginning of the song, and -stick to it-, permanently.
"I walk 47 miles of barbed wire/I got a cobra snake for a necktie" George Thoroughgood - Who Do You Love -- Doug is One Tough Bastard! For four minutes and twenty seconds, anyway. Half all incoming damage.
"I don't care/I'm still free/you can't take the sky from me" Joss Whedon - Theme from Firefly -- metasong. The next flight song Doug uses lasts indefinitely, only ceasing when he applys a new song. This includes I'm a Pioneer.
"This year - is gonna be incredible/This year - is gonna be the one" Chantal Kreviazuk - This Year -- precognition, out as far as however far it is to next Jan 1. But only the good things, not the bad ones (except by deduction).
"breathe into me and make me real/bring me to life" Evanescence - Bring Me to Life -- Well, there's the obvious. Limit that to major healing and the same sort of thing that an emergency room could do (it's a magic defibrilator!), since we've already go Twist of Fate. Alternately, it occurs to me that this could be of use at a certain point in the DW VI plotline.
"You better leave your lights on/'Cause there's a monster" Santana - Leave Your Lights On -- a shining light of hope and optimism, for when things are bleakest and the night is darkest. Not sure about a game effect, but it's a nice thought, no?
And that's the end of my current "New Files" playlist. Enjoy.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Print this item

More DW Artwork
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 03-22-2003, 07:48 AM - Forum: Website - Replies (1)

A new piece of DW artwork by Dave Menard has been added to the Gallery page. Enjoy.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item

More DW Art
Posted by: Bob Schroeck - 03-22-2003, 07:47 AM - Forum: General DW Chatter - Replies (3)

In the past 24 hours, Dave Menard has sent me two new pieces of DW artwork. I've posted the first of these to the gallery page on my website (www.eclipse.net/~rms/dwgallry.html); the second will go up soon, I hope, depending on some final approval from a third party.

-- Bob
---------

Print this item