Drunkard's Walk Forums
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: All The Tropes Wiki Archive (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV (/showthread.php?tid=13551)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - robkelk - 09-27-2019

Agreed. Nuke TVT post-2012 pages with extreme prejudice in order to protect the wiki.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 09-28-2019

The only reason I asked was the user was claiming he was in the process of "changing" them to to make them not a violation; otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - robkelk - 09-28-2019

That sort of changing needs to be done offline, IMHO.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 09-29-2019

Can someone do a background check per 108.41.185.53? His new article doesn't show up on TVT, just seems like a lot of work for a new IP.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - robkelk - 09-29-2019

What's the issue? The contributor's edits appear to be of decent quality for a new troper.

Maybe somebody forgot to login.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - Bob Schroeck - 09-30-2019

The IP doesn't appear in StopForumSpam's database. That's not an ironclad guarantee but it is a point in his favor.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 09-30-2019

Just for an IP to make such substantial changes , the need for due diligence was necessary. If it's legit, it's legit.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - Bob Schroeck - 09-30-2019

Meanwhile...

Quote:We regret that your regularly-scheduled 503 errors have been interrupted by unintended functional operation of the wiki. We are working diligently to prevent this from happening in the future.

Do you get the feeling I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the increasing frequency of 503s?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 09-30-2019

You think with the amount of downtime that whatever provider Miraheze uses would be refunding them the time lost like nearly all cloud providers do these days.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - Labster - 09-30-2019

The problem usually seems to be that we blow past the data caps, so Ramnode shuts it off, then we tell them that the traffic is all internal to the DC on that machine, so they insert coin into the data cap machine. Repeat once for each server near the end of the month, at random intervals. If they could meter traffic that actually left the data center that would be helpful.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - robkelk - 09-30-2019

(09-30-2019, 04:03 PM)Labster Wrote: The problem usually seems to be that we blow past the data caps, so Ramnode shuts it off, then we tell them that the traffic is all internal to the DC on that machine, so they insert coin into the data cap machine. Repeat once for each server near the end of the month, at random intervals. If they could meter traffic that actually left the data center that would be helpful.
Is this a problem that can be solved by throwing money at it, or do they need to find, install, and run a better traffic monitor?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - robkelk - 09-30-2019

I'd appreciate advice on what to do next with this page. Eventually, the lists will go on the matching city pages, but what happens before then?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - Bob Schroeck - 10-01-2019

So... why do we get 503s at the start of the month, then?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - Norgarth - 10-01-2019

using up the extras from the end of the previous month? :p

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - Bob Schroeck - 10-01-2019

Apparently we've got a quota of 503s to use or they just pile up and inconvenience other wikis on Miraheze.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 10-06-2019

Question: How batshit am I in my quest to slowly port the entire Project Gutenberg public domain source of Les Miserables onto ATT?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - robkelk - 10-06-2019

Don't know, but I for one appreciate the effort.

Lots of 503s today...

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 10-06-2019

We might as well nickname Miraheze the 503 wiki.

Also Volume 1 out of 5 completed per my Miserables project. Vol 2 Book 1 is 19 chapters, the rest of vol 2 is an additional 7 books of 57 odd chapters.

This is obviously a long-term project. Fuck forbid that anyone in the outside world bothers to read it on ATT after I finish importing it.

Did I mention I have never read it, or seen the musical or the film?

I've never read it, either. Something for when I retire... Smile

Changing topics, I just started a forum thread that asks a question.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - robkelk - 10-08-2019

Oh, that's interesting...

As currently shown on Ambiguous Syntax/Quotes, {{quote|foo<ref>bar</ref>|credit}} puts the reference at the end of the quotation and before the credit, not (as expected) at the end of the page that the quote is on.

Bug or feature?

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 10-08-2019

You placed the reference before the credit. Hence why it shows up like that.

Template wise, I believe MediaWiki has all the perameters encapsulated, which is why the reference doesn't bleed through. It makes sense to prevent any overflow problems or exploits.

It was like that when I found it... Smile

Feature, not bug. Okay by me - that means I don't need to "fix" it.

RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV - LulzKiller - 10-08-2019

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?limit=250&title=Special%3AContributions&contribs=user&target=144.121.24.154&namespace=&tagfilter=&newOnly=1&start=&end=

Someone should encourage this user to create an account, especially if they've created templates and multiple content pages

I just gave the IP address an attention-getter 1-day block, anon only.

"Attention-getter - if you're going to create templates here, you really should create an account and login first."