Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
Previous thread is here.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
Just a heads up for anyone requiring my services.

I will be somewhat out of touch, wrenched my back pretty hard and recovering for a few days. Been tripping out a lot of painkillers so I will be somewhat scarce until it gets better.
Feel better, Geth.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(07-29-2019, 10:12 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Feel better, Geth.

Thanks, Bob. In and out due to all the pain meds, but I'm improving.
Take it easy, and take the time you need to get better.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Folks, if you have a few minutes (or hours) free and want to help bring a consistent look-and-feel to the wiki, here are two lists of pages that need some sort of attention: Trope pages that do not use the {{examples}} header and Work pages that do not use the {{tropelist}} header.

Since DPL3 returns a maximum of 500 pages per list, these are woefully incomplete - fix some at the top of the list and Purge the page, and the lists will auto-append more entries to grow back to 500 entries until we finally get to pages starting with Zz. They also include pages that have alternate headers ({{examples on subpages}} for Trope pages and {{gameshowtropes}} for Work pages, and probably other valid headers). If a list gets to 500 pages that have valid alternate header templates, let me know and I'll exclude entries with names starting early in the alphabet.

EDIT: The fix is not always to put the appropriate header template onto a page. Sometimes, the fix is to change a page from a Trope to a Useful Note, or to a Category.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm doing a lot better, still in some pain, but not to a crippling extent anymore.
Quote:Folks, if you have a few minutes (or hours) free and want to help bring a consistent look-and-feel to the wiki, here are two lists of pages that need some sort of attention: Trope pages that do not use the {{examples}} header and Work pages that do not use the {{tropelist}} header.

Rob, thanks for setting this up. I was just wondering if I could use DPL to do this very thing yesterday, and I'm already hard at work going through the lists.
-- Bob

(08-01-2019, 11:18 AM)GethN7 Wrote: I'm doing a lot better, still in some pain, but not to a crippling extent anymore.

That's good to hear! Don't feel you need to jump back in right away, especially if staying between the keyboard and the chair for very long hurts.

(08-01-2019, 12:25 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:Folks, if you have a few minutes (or hours) free and want to help bring a consistent look-and-feel to the wiki, here are two lists of pages that need some sort of attention: Trope pages that do not use the {{examples}} header and Work pages that do not use the {{tropelist}} header.

Rob, thanks for setting this up.  I was just wondering if I could use DPL to do this very thing yesterday, and I'm already hard at work going through the lists.

You, Lequinni, and I. Smile

Purge the list often - we have a lot of works pages that don't use {{tropelist}}.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's a pity DPL is so limited and we can't simultaneously exclude examples on subpages and franchisetropes while we're at it.

EDIT: Oh, and Miraheze staff got back to me through Phabricator on a few of our issues. Everyone should have seen the return of functional search by now (TBeholder's personal nightmare has finally ended!), and I have a couple things to try once I get back on the wiki this morning to address the vanishing Flow interface and the non-vanishing welcome pop-up. If for some reason the solutions are not something I can do myself, I'll put the instructions here so Brent or Geth (well, maybe not Geth right now -- feel better!) can pick them up and run with them.
-- Bob

Update: Flow has been re-enabled for talk pages in Main, User, Category, Project and Trope Workshop.

The suggested fix for the annoying pop-up did not work, and I let the good folks at Phabricator know.
-- Bob

(08-02-2019, 06:51 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: It's a pity DPL is so limited and we can't simultaneously exclude examples on subpages and franchisetropes while we're at it.
I tried, but the documentation doesn't match the code.

(And I couldn't find a place to report bad documentation.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-02-2019, 07:28 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Update:  Flow has been re-enabled for talk pages in Main, User, Category, Project and Trope Workshop.

The suggested fix for the annoying pop-up did not work, and I let the good folks at Phabricator know.

An hour later, the pop-up stopped appearing for me, out of the blue.  So maybe it's fixed now.
-- Bob

I suppose we should be happy that we have search, but... it's gone back to being case-sensitive.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Your turn to complain on Phabricator. I did the last four or five.
-- Bob

We're not going to fix that until we go back to ElasticSearch I'm afraid.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-02-2019, 07:54 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 06:51 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: It's a pity DPL is so limited and we can't simultaneously exclude examples on subpages and franchisetropes while we're at it.
I tried, but the documentation doesn't match the code.

(And I couldn't find a place to report bad documentation.)

The documentation didn't say this functionality only works in "div" format, not "template" format. Sad Anyway...

The lists now exclude "examples on subpages" for tropes, and "franchisetropes" and "gameshowtropes" for works.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Now that it's been running for a few days and the bugs are worked out of it, I've moved the new "clean up these pages" page out of my sandbox. It's now in the All The Tropes namespace.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Guys, we may have a major issue with Ecclytennysmithylove -- Umbire the Phantom noticed one of their recent edits was made up of cut'n'pastes from TV Tropes. I reverted that and dropped Ecclyetc a note about it. Then I spotted another edit of E's only minutes old, checked, and found it to be another cut'n'paste. I'm going to tempban them and remove their autopatrolled status, and we're going to need to review everything they've added, dammit.

EDIT: Tempban applied and lifted almost immediately, because E read and replied to the message I left them as I was making the ban. I have still removed their autopatrolled status, because we're going to have to make sure for a while, I think.
-- Bob

(08-03-2019, 04:40 PM)robkelk Wrote: Now that it's been running for a few days and the bugs are worked out of it, I've moved the new "clean up these pages" page out of my sandbox. It's now in the All The Tropes namespace.

So, who's going make the necessary edit to take the first entry (starts with "2 Girls") off the works list?

Hint: not me. I'll edit pages about works with excessive gorn. I'll edit pages about works that espouse philosophies that I disagree with. But I'm not touching that page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On another topic, I have been too busy to start going through Ecclytennysmithlove's contribution history to find and undo copyright violations -- and frankly, the scope of the task intimidates me. (Not to mention I have too much to do off- and online as it is.) Can we queue that up as the next team project after going through Rob's missing template list?
-- Bob

Someone with a better handle on matters might want to look at this edit by TieWrex on the page for Garth Ennis and his subsequent edit. They're definitely indulging Wrex's hate-on for Ennis's feelings about organized religion; does it step over the line into the kind of Wrex material we've had to revert in the past?
-- Bob

I think it does, yes.

EDIT: Rolled back, and a note left on the user's Talk page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And now TieWrex is starting to leave multipart diatribes on my userboard trying to justify his right to libel Garth Ennis. <sigh>

I think it's time to remind him of rule one of the terms of service.
-- Bob

I'll do that. I just gave TBeholder an official warning about Rule 1, so it's my day to be the nasty mod.

EDIT: Done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown