Drunkard's Walk Forums
My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Printable Version

+- Drunkard's Walk Forums (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 (/showthread.php?tid=14487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 12-14-2022

This thread is for discussion of the wiki. This is also where you ask for an account if you want to become a prereader or a writer.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 12-26-2022

"Be sure to visit the Venice Canals during your stay as well."
-- website for the Inn at Venice Beach

So... I've marked a few local hotels on the Aria House map, including the Inn at Venice Beach (which is practically on the Grand Canal). No doubt Alicia has already thought to make contact, if not referral contracts, with hotel management.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Bob Schroeck - 01-13-2023

I created a new character type template this morning, {{biker}}. I'm not done going through all the characters yet, but you'd be surprised who's had the template added already.

Also, I'm sure I've missed characters who should have it. Feel free to tag anyone who needs it.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 01-15-2023

As long as we're creating character-type templates... {{circus performer}} now exists.

Funny how everybody who has it so far is connected with the Kaleido Stage. Smile But that's just me being lazy; feel free to add it anywhere else it's appropriate.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 01-19-2023

Added a few images to character pages, including a screencap of Josie Bauer from the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon video game. So that's what she looks like...

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 01-29-2023

"Category:Character Needing Information" is now somewhat more granular -- it now lists subcategories which list what sort of information the character sheets need.

Slightly over half of our character pages need canon descriptions of the characters. Here's the list. Many but nowhere near all of them have descriptions on Fandom, Wikipedia, or All The Tropes, all of which we can simply copy-and-paste with attribution. (Alas, because of license mismatches, we can't simply copy from IMDb, WikiMoon, or the Space:1999 Catacombs.)

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Labster - 02-02-2023

One thing I discovered when looking for pictures for Dartz' crew of 33-S sexaroids: from the side angle, it sure looks like they're all the same height. Like, that makes sense, right? You'd have a standard design that you'd extend with various, uh, add-ons. I'm not sure where Dartz got his figure of 170cm for Meg, but that seems fine. Sylvie is similiar in height to Priss, but I never see a scene where one of the two isn't in the foreground.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 02-03-2023

Inspired by a comment from Bob about a displacee getting an outfit custom-made... We already had {{tinker}} {{enginner}}, {{soldier}} {{military}} and {{spy}} as character attribute templates; now we have {{tailor}} to complete the set.

Amazing how many of the displacees who know how to make clothing are at Douglass Gardens already.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Dartz - 02-04-2023

(02-02-2023, 06:51 AM)Labster Wrote: One thing I discovered when looking for pictures for Dartz' crew of 33-S sexaroids:  from the side angle, it sure looks like they're all the same height.  Like, that makes sense, right?  You'd have a standard design that you'd extend with various, uh, add-ons.  I'm not sure where Dartz got his figure of 170cm for Meg, but that seems fine.  Sylvie is similiar in height to Priss, but I never see a scene where one of the two isn't in the foreground.

It may have come from the original sourcebooks, I genuinely can't remember. As I was writing it.

Lou, Sylvie and Meg are supposed to be the same height. The 'Beautiful' ones.

Nam and Anri are supposed to be shorter, but the same height as each other. The 'Cute' ones.

Like different basic body styles on the same model of car (A 5-door, or a 3-Door), and then you have trim things like skin colour, hair colour, eyes, personality matrix and programmed skills

This does simplify clothes shopping on some level. Interchangeable parts for the win.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 02-05-2023

Saw the new character-type templates that Labster created. Is there a reason you didn't tag Brent Laabs as a {{writer}}?

EDIT: And I just created {{dancer}} for the pro-level dancers out there, since I remembered just how Presea creates swords.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 02-08-2023

Just tossed a few more markers onto the map for Aria House... one of which required a new type of map marker.

So we now have a marker for "police station".

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Labster - 02-09-2023

Obviously this is so Tomo Takino can get training for Interpol.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 02-28-2023

Specifying licenses for uploaded images just got a bit easier - the options are now sorted, and there are a couple more of them. We still have placeholders for images that use licenses that we don't have.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 04-07-2023

I just added a few gadgets to the wiki:
  • ReferenceTooltips, to show footnote text in a popup when the pointer hovers over the link to the reference
  • Altredirects, an ATT-created gadget that lists redirects at the bottom of the page that they redirect to (for example, "Usagi Small Lady Serenity" is "Also Known As: Chibiusa, Chibi-Usa, Sailor Chibi-Moon, Sailor Chibimoon, Small Lady, Usagi Chiba") Note: This is not an invitation to delete redirects. We aren't ATT, and we have plenty of room.
  • HotCat, because I grow tired of editing pages just to add or remove a category
  • DejaVu Sans, in case there's somebody with wiki rights who can't install the font on their own computers

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 04-11-2023

I have now heard from every writer except Labster about the addition I want to make to the Acknowledgements list.

Labster, your PM queue is still full...

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 04-13-2023

I've turned off the visual editor on the wiki, as a test before asking permission to turn it off at All The Tropes. Since I'm reasonably sure that nobody was using it there, I've left it turned ff.

I've also made those changes that I mentioned at this week's chat to the displacee infobox, and started populating the new data. Feel free to help with that.

Here's what can be added to the infobox now:

{{Infobox Displacee
| title =
| image =
| caption =
| Other Names =
| Residence =
| Origin =
| Refuge Arrival Date = {{Date table sorting|YEAR|MONTH|DAY}}
| Refuge Birth Date = {{Date table sorting|YEAR|MONTH|DAY}}
| Birthday =
| Age =
| Gender =
| Height =
| Hair Color =
| Eye Color =
| Blood Type =
| Three Sizes =
| Actor =
}}

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 04-24-2023

Hey, Bob, I think I might have filled Douglass Gardens for you...

(Ritsu: "Hey, now we can perform the 1812 Overture properly!")

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Bob Schroeck - 04-25-2023

Oh, crap.

EDIT: Well. I guess that explains why the Celestials bought an entire garden apartments complex in NJ as opposed to the smaller buildings they did everywhere else.

Now I have to talk Peggy into a second try at watching GnP... I barely know thing one about the series.

And where are the tanks going to be housed and maintained? (Which suddenly spawns the mental image of the GnP counterpart to Lime Kawasaki constantly at work washing and tuning up the tanks... and never taking off her WW2-vintage helmet.)

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 04-25-2023

(04-25-2023, 07:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, crap.

I thought we discussed this a few weeks ago... If I erred, I'll undo it.

(04-25-2023, 07:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT: Well. I guess that explains why the Celestials bought an entire garden apartments complex in NJ as opposed to the smaller buildings they did everywhere else.

Now I have to talk Peggy into a second try at watching GnP... I barely know thing one about the series.

And where are the tanks going to be housed and maintained? (Which suddenly spawns the mental image of the GnP counterpart to Lime Kawasaki constantly at work washing and tuning up the tanks... and never taking off her WW2-vintage helmet.)

Hmmmmm... "Hey, what's this 'Museum of Mid-20th-Century Military History' that just opened up, and how are they offering reenactment events?" And a corner of the Garden State becomes the Market Garden State. Smile

And the anime hows that at least Oorari's club does its own maintenance, Ronnie, the Bren Gun Girl or Ruby Loftus or Rosie the Riveter style. I wouldn't be surprised to find Ronnies, Rubys, and Rosies throughout all of the teams.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Bob Schroeck - 04-25-2023

(04-25-2023, 12:16 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-25-2023, 07:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, crap.

I thought we discussed this a few weeks ago... If I erred, I'll undo it.

I remember us discussing what led to this... I must be blanking completely on the discussion of their housing. Honestly my reaction was mostly exaggerated. And as I noted above it makes perfect sense, and justifies the acquisition of DGA.

(04-25-2023, 12:16 PM)robkelk Wrote: Hmmmmm... "Hey, what's this 'Museum of Mid-20th-Century Military History' that just opened up, and how are they offering reenactment events?" And a corner of the Garden State becomes the Market Garden State. Smile

We could probably get a nice big chunk of Pine Barrens for them to play in and turn it into a moneymaker. Sebastian would like that.

EDIT: The only problem would be that it likely would be a good hour's drive from DGA... there's no parcels of land in this area that aren't preserved farmland that are big enough for tank battles.

... and I just thought of a paintball park that I know of in the Barrens and suddenly I'm imagining the tanks firing paintballs the size of 2-liter soda bottles... (Yeah, yeah, okay, 1-liter bottles.)

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Labster - 04-28-2023

I added a few new fields to the displacee template: Stories (*list), Birthday is canon (boolean), and Subtitle. I'm not 100% sure what to do about subtitle, just that I should add it. Lots of things came to mind like name kanji, noble titles, or sobriquets (e.g. Aquamarine). Maybe some of these should have separate fields.

I noticed that it was set up not to display the age and birthday fields if there was a birthday present. Was that intentional or a bug? I was having trouble always having to do mental math with that disabled.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - robkelk - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 03:21 PM)Labster Wrote: I noticed that it was set up not to display the age and birthday fields if there was a birthday present.  Was that intentional or a bug?  I was having trouble always having to do mental math with that disabled.

That was intentional. My reasoning was that if we had the full date, then we could always do mental math to get the character's age... which appears to have been a bad assumption.

(04-28-2023, 03:23 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 03:21 PM)Labster Wrote: I noticed that it was set up not to display the age and birthday fields if there was a birthday present.  Was that intentional or a bug?  I was having trouble always having to do mental math with that disabled.

That was intentional. My reasoning was that if we had the full date, then we could always do mental math to get the character's age... which appears to have been a bad assumption.

A little, because a character born in 1980 in her canon would have a birthday in 2003 which is obviously 20 years ago, but wait, we're in 2016 and 2016-1980 is 36 and isn't she supposed to be a teenager?

It could be automatically calculated, though.  I'll just have to make a template to strip off the markup added by the date table sorting markup.

RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Wiki Thread, #3 - Norgarth - 04-28-2023

(04-28-2023, 04:08 PM)Labster Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 03:23 PM)robkelk Wrote:

A little, because a character born in 1980 in her canon would have a birthday in 2003 which is obviously 20 years ago, but wait, we're in 2016 and 2016-1980 is 36 and isn't she supposed to be a teenager?

It could be automatically calculated, though.  I'll just have to make a template to strip off the markup added by the date table sorting markup.

an additional issue for that mental calculation process are the people born in the future (like Captain Reynolds and Co.) or with a drastically different dating system (the calendar used in the various Gundam shows for example)

We had solved that by putting their driver's license date into the wiki -- whatever it says on their ID card to be close enough to their real age.  Unless they arrive the same day of the year they left their home universe, it's never going to be exact if they want to keep their birthday.

Of course, whether the birthday is based on the Earth calendar is another problem.  The solution proposed by the Aria manga is actually unworkable unless Mars is in a different orbit in their universe, but it is reasonably close to a realistic number.  Sometimes you can give too much detail when writing.

We also have characters whose birthdays are on the Julian calendar, and they'll have to choose whether to convert the date or not, just as people did when their country adopted the Gregorian calendar.