Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
I just had a thought: Do we want a wiki?

We can have a private wiki on Miraheze, with pages we can all edit (get rid of the PiratePad that's been acting up), pages that only their creators or an admin can edit, and the ability to turn collections of pages into PDFs. We could even do background pages for the characters and locations - with maps with pointers.

The downside to a private wiki is that it's private - somebody has to grant access to it to new members. What we have here can be read by anyone.

As for running the wiki, well... I am a bureaucrat-administrator on FenWiki, All The Tropes, and Poser & Daz Free Resources, so I have experience and a public track record of my behaviour. Of course I'll share the responsibilities and rights; it's bad if a wiki has only one admin.

EDIT: Also, on Miraheze we can decide to make the wiki public at a later date, if we wish... but then anybody could edit it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC][Meta]Do we want a wiki for all this?
Well, only if you feel up for it, Rob. I'm afraid that I wouldn't have much time to manage it myself. Though it would be a good place to keep all the informational stuff like Lord Ciel Phantomhive's Personnel Files, generally accepted rules, and status updates.
It might be too soon...

And wiki's are open to Fenspacing

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Which is why I said "private wiki" - no drive-by contributions.

EDIT: The request is in the queue - theresnothingbetter, "Development repository for a shared-world writing project"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I meant, it was too easy in Fenspace to fill out the wiki without filling out the stories. I know I've been guilty of it, but it's often the only way I could be creative

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Ah. Well, we'll just need to discipline ourselves...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just want the ability to correct typos in other people's stories. "Sebastion" is not a name.

A wiki will make a good place to organize our stories chronologically, build character sheets, and so on. I don't have a whole lot of desire to fill out the wiki in place of stories, since the storytelling seems like the fun part.

I'll see if I can poke the new wiki queue; there's a lot of Miraheze people on vacation now. I apparently lost the wikicreator right like 2 years ago and haven't noticed until now, lol.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-21-2018, 04:30 PM)Labster Wrote: I'll see if I can poke the new wiki queue; there's a lot of Miraheze people on vacation now.  I apparently lost the wikicreator right like 2 years ago and haven't noticed until now, lol.

Please do - a request made after mine has been approved but mine is still In Review.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We have a wiki!

It even has some content.

It also has a bug somewhere - the infoboxes are showing the variables' names instead of their values. Images in infoboxes appear to be okay, though. Too tired to track down the bug at the moment, so just pretend it isn't there and populate the infoboxes anyway. I'll fix it later.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Found the template bug. Fixing it now.
EDIT: And fixed. Elementary mistake, actually - I forgot to specify that the variables were variables instead of plain text.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-21-2018, 04:30 PM)Labster Wrote: I just want the ability to correct typos in other people's stories.  "Sebastion" is not a name.

A wiki will make a good place to organize our stories chronologically, build character sheets, and so on.  I don't have a whole lot of desire to fill out the wiki in place of stories, since the storytelling seems like the fun part.

I like both wiki-work and writing... so I guess it's a good thing I'm the bureaucrat there. (although I'd prefer to have a backup admin, just in case.)

And I think this is a perfectly good wiki character page - who he is, where he's from, where he lives, and one line about what he can do in-story that isn't obvious from his canon.

Also, I have deliberately not created a "stub" tag.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, I know you can't read the wiki yet. That's because you don't have an account on the wiki yet. Create your account (or login to All The Tropes and use that account), then try to look at the new wiki in order to establish your account on the wiki, then tell me you've done so and I'll mark your account as a member of the wiki ... but you have to visit the wiki before I can make you a member of it.

(Brent, this might or might not apply to you. Do you have Steward rights on Miraheze?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nah, most of my rights have been revoked lately. All I can do is stop paying for the site and blackmail for sysadmin, or just commit myself some more access... okay it's not a permanent problem lol. I was never actually a Steward, just a Sysadmin, which has roughly the same access levels on-wiki, but doesn't imply a community role, just a technical one.
Well, my ATT account doesn't seem to be working. Rob, I think you'll need to manually tweak it so I can have access. (Username is BlackAeronaut)
Likewise, while I don't anticipate contributing anything, I would appreciate some manner of permission to be able to see the material.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Accounts "BlackAeronaut", "Labster", and "Looney Toons" are all now marked as members (which means you can see the spoiler for my next story post).

Dartz, I know you have an All The Tropes account. Please try to visit the wiki while logged in so that your account can be recognized:
Quote:There is no user by the name "Dartz". Check your spelling.

The rest of you need to create accounts, or if you have accounts, you need to visit the wiki so that the account is activated there and I can give it Member rights.
Quote:There is no user by the name "kestrel404". Check your spelling.
Quote:There is no user by the name "Rajvik". Check your spelling.
Quote:There is no user by the name "Seraviel". Check your spelling.

Who did I miss?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rajvik, since you don't have an account yet, I've entered a framework for your apartment, using the data in the Personnel Files thread (and nowhere else). If you want to add or update anything once you have an account, start at Gulfside Rest and go from there...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thank you, Rob.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
BA, please confirm your tenant list before I make pages for them on the wiki. I know the list in the Personnel Files thread is out of date; for one thing, it doesn't mention Full Metal Panic! or Nanoha A's.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I still need to name my building, don't I?  I've internally been using Aria House, unless and until I come up with something more interesting.
It took me a while to name mine, so don't worry too much about that. "Aria House" is better than "Brent's building", and we can always Move the page if you come up with a different name.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rob, i've made an account, but i'm going to need the permissions now.

thanks for this though
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

You should have the permissions now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just discovered that the Main Page is world-readable... so it's now a little less "chatty" than it was yesterday.

Oh, and the wiki needs an emergency backup admin, just in case. Brent, you're it. (I know your account is yours based on your contributions, and I know you have the skills. Here's hoping you never need to take over, because that would mean something happened to me.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thanks Rob, access granted
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd