Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing display resolution
Changing display resolution
I recently bought a netbook with a 1024  x 600 widescreen display.
I own a number of old games that have 800 x 600 resolution modes that are old enough and have low enough requirements to run on the netbook.
Does anyone know of a way to change the resolution of a screen so that I'll have black bars on either side of the screen, instead of having it stretched out and ugly?

Are these DOS games, or are they automatically just fullscreen?

You could try tweaking the settings (possibly in the startup shortcut) to have them run windowed instead of fullscreen.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Automatically fullscreen.
The Operating system is XP and the games in question are Arcanum (which can be tweaked to work well under the resolution), Dungeon Keeper 2 and Diablo 2 (which end up stretched out) and Freelancer (which is currently a bit of a kludged widescreen mode)

Diablo 2 can run in a window.  After installation, modify your shortcut to add a " -w" on the end of the executable.
Freelancer... I'd have to dig out and re-install my copy of it to figure it out, but I know it can be done.  I just don't remember how I did it.  Google will help (that's how I figured it out, I'm sure.)
Dungeon Keeper 2 I'm not sure about.  I had crash issues with it and never played with it enough to get it running at all, much less in a window.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs