Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome and SHTML files
Chrome and SHTML files
OK, this is getting annoying. I'm trying to view a site that uses shtml files for some unknown reason.

Whenever I click on a link to one of these files in Chrome it declines to open the file, it prompts me to "keep" or "discard" the file as it "may be dangerous". 

I'm running Chrome with Adblock and Noscript enabled. And it still does this. I can save the file locally and open it which lets me view the text, but the images do not display because the page uses local links rather than fully-qualified ones.

ANNOYING.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

My site is built on SHTML files -- that's the standard suffix for HTML files that contain server-side includes. Does my site cause the same warnings for you? Having used Chrome for a year at my old employer, I can tell you that's not a default behavior for SHTML.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

At a guess, the hosting provider has turned off (possibly accidentally) SSI support, which would then pass the stuff through to Chrome directly instead of running the code on the server and sending the output along.  

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Edit: removed double post.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Bob Schroeck Wrote:My site is built on SHTML files -- that's the standard suffix for HTML files that contain server-side includes. Does my site cause the same warnings for you? Having used Chrome for a year at my old employer, I can tell you that's not a default behavior for SHTML.
Nope, your forums work fine, Bob. Must be what Spud said.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Not the forums, my actual website, Norway -- click the banner at the top of the page and see if my home page works.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Not the forums, my actual website, Norway -- click the banner at the top of the page and see if my home page works.
The site, yeah. That's what I meant.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Ah, okay.
-- Bob
---------

This is probably a server specific thing where they have borked their config. Like Sofa said, its probably not executing its hooks to the internal includes either. The real issue is thats its not setting the MIME-type right however, your browser is seeing it as random code instead of text suitable for html parsing.