Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
The Greenfield Family.

icehead Wrote:I expect many of you will have been waiting for this chapter. As of the last one, the Greenfields have gotten their secrets out and pretty much accepted what they've all become.

Now, it's time to make it official. To properly seal their new lifestyle, to set the course for what kind of family they're going to be from now on.

And you can probably imagine what that is going to involve.

https://storiesonline.net/n/52852/the-gr...-family/45

Last time on Princess of the Void, Dukerino Wrote:“Batty,” He leans into her. “What are you saying to me?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know how, I—I don’t know. But it can’t happen like this. I don’t want to be accountable. Not for this. If we are doomed, then let’s be doomed some other way. We have to find another way. We can’t let things turn like this for your people.” She’s on her feet now, silhouetted in front of the projector’s teal catastrophe. “We have to save them.”

Her tail lashes. He looks up into her fierce eyes. “Save them from what?”

“The Empire,” she says.

This time, her Impossible Hope of finding another way leads Sykora to dig deep.

Quote:”Save Earth from the Empire?” Grantyde wears a confused grin like it’s HAK plate. “We are the Empire. We’re saving Earth from itself. Aren’t we?”

“We’re dooming millions,” Sykora says. “You heard Hyax.”

“I did,” he says. “I was naive enough to imagine it’d be some other way, but the more I think about it, the more I understand how idiotic I was being. We were always going to break everything. All we can do is be there to clean it up afterwards. And I heard Vora, too. The number in the dark.”

He sighs. Sykora watches the lights turning off one by one behind her husband’s eyes, like a home being vacated.

“We can mitigate,” he says. “We can make it worth it. That’s what I’m holding onto.”

“No.” Sykora’s stomach is on the floor. “No, Grantyde, you—this isn’t what’s in your heart. I know it’s not.”

“What’s in my heart.” He laughs softly. “That’s so interesting, that Maekyonites and Taiikari both put stuff in there, when it’s just… stuff. Blood.” He crouches. “I’ll be okay, Batty. Not for a while, maybe. But we’ll—”

“We won’t,” Sykora insists. “Grantyde, I can’t do this. We can’t. Not without mangling ourselves beyond recognition.”

He chuckles ruefully. “So what, we cancel the invasion?” His eyes narrow at the defiant fold of Sykora’s arms, then widen. “We—Batty, are you serious?”

Sykora nods.

“We can’t,” he says.

“There’s precedent.”

“No, I mean—it—they’ll fucking kill us.” He seems to catch up with what she’s saying. “There’s precedent?”

“The Mandate,” Sykora says.


From there, it goes the same sort of place as TGF, albeit behind spoiler tags in the RR edition.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/120617...sible-hope
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/1419041...r/2526304/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Headless Over Heels.

Dukerino Wrote:“Here’s what I don’t get about pirates.” Annalise prodded at her scar. “You’re a man of justice, Sunshine. No tears shed on the scaffold.”

“Sure.”

“But everyone goes away with the fairies when it’s pirates,” she said. “Even you.”

“To a point,” Tiago said. “I still would’ve killed him. Just let him do a monologue or two first.”

“We did,” Seth said.

“Piracy is a fanciful crime,” Ofelia mused. “Sky piracy doubly so. You say murder or assault, and your listener rightly frowns. But say piracy and you put stars in eyes. Who among us can’t relate to the urge to light out with a crew of vagabonds, quomodocunquizing across the United Territories in a baldrick and a ruffled shirt?”

“That’s not a word,” Tiago said.

“Shirt?”

“The quo- thing.”

“That’s absolutely a word,” Ofelia said. “When one hears of a pirate, one imagines living the life of the perpetrator, and not the victim. But the latter outnumber the former, always. And you die just the same at the hands of a rakish avatar of freedom as you do in the maw of a seraph. It’s the sense of belonging, I suppose. To an iconoclastic community.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...7-darkness
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2531287/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
More Headless Over Heels.

Dukerino Wrote:The scaffold creaked under the heavy stride of the Verdugo as her shadow fell across the kneeling woman. “Do you love your people, Jesska il Maksdotir?”

The waxen-faced sacrifice blinked away her sweat. “I do.”

“Do you repent your crimes against them?”

“I do.”

“Do you give praise to Hundred Saints, and to the Sorcerer General, and the deathspell beneath which he shelters us?”

“I do.”

Annalise whistled toward Jesska’s blind spot. “Ho, there, Tiago. Pass me the sword.”

Jesska turned her head in confusion to Tiago where he stood gauntly to one side—didn’t the woman behind her already have her black blade ready?—and Annalise struck.

The village of Tondarre reacted with a healthy ohh! Only a couple of screams, no whooping or clapping. Seth, observing from the carriage’s threshold at the rear of the crowd, was developing a theory that you could tell how the year had been in a village by the sound their assembly made when the head went flying.

“Why does she do that?” he asked the placid girl at his side as she flipped the hasped broach of her traveler’s cloak open and shut. “The fake-out?”

“It positions them right,” Ofelia said. “If they stay put, they hunch sometimes, or dart, or the muscle is tense with the anticipation of the blade. The al Ydrises don’t swing twice.”

“What does she whisper to them? The reluctant ones?”

“I’m not sure,” Ofelia said. “Mother’s actually never executed me, if you can believe it.”

“It does beggar belief.”

“Thank you, Jesska.” Annalise passed a palm over the corpse’s gray eyes and shut them forever. She pulled a rag from her belt pouch and wiped the wide span of her steel. “With that, folks, we’re done. On behalf of the Legion and the Sorcerer General, I thank you all for your loyalty, and wish you as warm and safe a winter as Ms. Maksdotir’s sacrifice has earned you. We’ll see you next year.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...lers-haven
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2532866/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
And now on Headless Over Heels, a musical interlude.

Dukerino Wrote:Out in the brightly lit center of the taphouse they’d cleared the crockery from a banquet table, and a pair of musicians—a mitegrinder and a fiddler—were taking requests. “Don’t be shy, now!” The mitegrinder snapped shut the trap on his boxy instrument’s toggle and its low drone began. “For a solitar we’ll play what you please. For a brace we’ll play it sober.”

“Hey!” Seth whistled and waved a score coin. “Do The Verdugo and the Maiden!”

“Where’d you get that—” Annalise patted her pocket. “Oh, you blighter.”

“C’mon,” Seth said. “This is your profession’s anthem. Don’t tell me you don’t love it.”

Annalise snatched her purse back from him with a dry laugh. “I dunno if I’ve heard it, pet.”

The musicians were looking askance at the clutch of unlit. “Begging your pardon, master.” The fiddler’s swallow bobbed his instrument where it lay at his neck. “Perhaps it’s not a song for a mixed crowd.”

“She loves it. Don’t worry about it.” Seth added a second score to his palm. “C’mon now. You gonna catch these?”

Annalise scoffed. “How the feck d’you keep robbing me.”

“You need to pay me more regularly.”

“He’s got the Forked Tongue on his back,” Ofelia called to the dithering players. “He’ll join in.”

“C’mon then, goodman,” the fiddler cried. “And bring your braces.”

Seth balked. “Oh, hold on now. It’s, uh—it’s not active.”

“Yes it is.” Ofelia gave him a kick forward from their booth. “Get up on that table, Mr. il Gutierre. That’s an order.”

“You don’t give me orders.”

“I do,” Annalise said. “And I’m apparently paying good money for this. Get up there, Seth.”

Seth scrambled onto the table as the music rose, and with his new colleagues, he sang.


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...the-maiden
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2536840/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
The Greenfield Family.

icehead Wrote:With the Greenfields having officially accepted their new lifestyle, now we see them branching out to their nearest and dearest outside the immediate family. Over the course of a week, it's time to see how they incorporate everyone who's been a part of their transition become a part of what they have become.

It looks like all is working out for the best...

...or are there still some threats lurking in the corners?

https://storiesonline.net/n/52852/the-gr...-family/46

Princess of the Void.

Dukerino Wrote:Master Sergeant Ajax is in his cabin, sitting in front of his and Meena’s portable terminal. The flotilla drama they were watching last night is still on screen, paused where he fell asleep—Meena paused it on a frozen image of a weeping woman, her horns half-cocked, a pistol in her hand.

He blinks. He doesn’t remember how he got here.

His anticomps are raised to his forehead. In his lap is one of his wife’s stuffed animals, an adorably bug-eyed throok with orange felt skin, with a big patch that’s turned pale and threadbare on its middle left leg. Ronax really loves chewing that bit, and to Ajax’s pleased surprise, Meena just giggles when he does and doesn’t flash the boy to stop.

In his hand is a datawafer. WATCH ME is written on it in thick-lined memorandum ink.


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/120617...7-watch-me
WHILE I WASN'T LOOKING: https://www.scribblehub.com/read/1419041...r/2552101/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I get to update you on two several Headless Over Heels chapters!

After the bit I excerpted from Thursday's chapter, the al Ydrises got the United Territories version of a telegram, which prompted precision F-strikes from Annalise, Tiago, Ofelia and Seth in order:

The Legion Wrote:Skywire Bulletin — Highest Priority — All Legion Agents Exark & Superior

Seraph breach reported upon Central Plainland Corridor route. Traced inbound to Shaheill, to reach on 6th Drozt at 2100.

The seraph Enna-Belum has breached the deathspell. Blackfeather, est 20 tons, moderately wounded on front right appendage. Containment efforts have failed. Immediate interdiction requested.

May the 100 Saints preserve you.

Since it's a seraph-hunt, Annalise switched to her seraph-hunting head, Anna, who is now getting a tour of the local perimeter from (and inflicting her bottomless reservoirs of patience and tact on) Simon il Teremi, acting interim undersecretary to Shaheill's "indisposed" corregidor, while Seth and the twins liaise with the professed Chief Hermandat, Simon's probably-niece-or-something Riccana.

Yesterday, Dukerino Wrote:Seth detached from the shadows and joined the twins. Riccana cast a look across the three unlit. “So you’re the Verdugo’s retinue?”

“And her children, yes,” Ofelia said. “And Seth’s her Seth.”

“She doesn’t have to worry about me.” Riccana tucked her helmet under her arm and unbound the messy bun beneath it. “I’m older than I look.”

“We know the feeling,” Ofelia said.

“I suppose you do.” Riccana inclined her head; her ginger hair cascaded in unruly ringlets. “Pardon me, sirs. Here I am talking like you might not all be twice my age.”

“We’re not,” Tiago said, at the same time as Ofelia said “We’re forty.”

“We’re not,” Tiago repeated.

Riccana had a pretty smile, even if (and this was new information to him) she was much younger than Seth’s preference.

“Pardon our Verdugo’s snippiness,” he said. “It was a long ride and she’s not in her right head.”

Ofelia released a humored hm. Riccana shook her hair out and pinned it up again, tighter this time. “I can imagine.”

“Do you have any idea why the blackfeather is coming for Shaheill?” Tiago asked. “If we know what it’s here for, we might be able to outthink it. They’re not exactly brilliant tacticians.”

“I don’t suppose you need to be, when you’re twenty tons,” Riccana said. “As far as what makes Shaheill special, it’s only a few streets over, sir, if it please you to see.”

Tiago tilted his head. “Lead on, Chief Hermandat.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...f-shaheill
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2544540/

Today, before they get to the matter of How We Kill It, there's a question of seniority to discuss.

Then Duke Wrote:“She’s rather short, for a CH,” Ofelia said.

“This thing’s the size of a townhouse,” Tiago said. “We’re all short.” He crossed past his sister, back to the muster yard’s concrete ring as its nervous irregulars filled it with supplies.

Seth and Ofelia followed him past precarious racks of two-story anchorpikes, a patchwork pile of surplus platemail, a hodgepodge of edged weaponry, and a heavy barrel with a splash of angry orange paint on its lid. This last item Tiago opened, and frowned into. “Is this all the powder we’ve got?

A blond hermandat, his armor close-fitted and meticulously polished, saluted beside the stock. “Yes, sir.”

“Do you have a powder cannon?” Ofelia asked.

The man’s shine dimmed. “We have rifles.”

“That’ll tickle it, anyway,” Ofelia said.

Tiago lifted a pane of polished onyx from the supply pile, its octagonal edge bordered in riveted steel. “And just this one animaxis?”

“Yes, sir,” the hermandat said. “Sorry, sir.”

Tiago returned it to its crooked place on the stack. “No, no, just… try not to go unlit, I suppose. We can only catch one soul.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...we-kill-it
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2546330/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Today on or in Headless Over Heels, Seth prepares to stand against Enna-Belum, even though the acting officials can only offer him a Red Cloth and a pointed stick.

Dukerino Wrote:Ofelia stared at the cloth, as Simon handed it off to Seth and Seth tied it to his wrist. “You’re really doing this.”

Seth’s forearm, thin as it was, required a double-bind to secure the fabric. “You don’t need to sound so surprised.”

“I don’t sound like anything,” Ofelia said. “I work very prudently to be as monotone as possible, for the sake of my aesthetic.”

“Well, yes. I am really doing this.”

“It’s a bitter waste of your value if you die, Mr. il Gutierre,” Ofelia said. “Rather like placing a splendid mouser in a swimming competition with an eel.”

“That is the craziest fucking metaphor I’ve ever heard, Ms. al Ydris, and it won’t stop me.”

“Oh, you needn’t stop.” Ofelia’s willowy fingers brushed the knot he’d tied to himself. “Just don’t die, yes?”

“Sure.”

“Good.” Ofelia smiled vaguely. “I would miss you very much.”

“Feeli!” Tiago was descending the palisade. He waved his arms at her. “They found the sorcerer!”

“Ah, Saints.” Ofelia broke into a jog back toward the clustered village streets. “Come on, Seth.”

By the time they’d arrived at the sorcerer’s house—a bungalow that ought to be quite pretty, with dried vines tangling its window and peeling paint on the door—a crowd had gathered. At its fore stood Anna al Ydris, her goliath arms crossed. Little redheaded Riccana and two fellow hermandati were tugging a stubbly, threadbare man out of its darkened interior. “Goodman, come on. Please just see her.”

The sorcerer staggered out the rest of the way, swatting the hands that bore him like they were insects landing on his shoulders. “Off me. Off me, damn you all. I’m going.”

“You’re the Shaheill sorcerer,” Anna said. “Robert il Magnard.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...-red-cloth
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2550895/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
The Greenfield Family.

icehead Wrote:With the Greenfields having accepted their new way of life, now it's time to face the future and what comes next for them.

Especially when some pretty big upheavals are coming in their lives. A few unfriendly faces with unsettled grudges are not about to let things lie and are determined to make trouble for this family.

How are they going to handle this? What are they going to do now?

https://storiesonline.net/n/52852/the-gr...-family/47

Princess of the Void.

Dukerino Wrote:”The woman plotting our downfall followed the protocol and procedure set before her to the letter.” Sykora hops from her throne. “She trusted in precedent, and when precedent failed she trusted in her sense of fealty and duty to protect her sanity from the unspeakable task that was set before it. But she trusted in vain.”

She paces the table, her tail switching back and forth with each step. Grant watches her and realizes this must be how it felt to kneel in fealty to Joan of Arc or Hatshepsut. He is not sure his wife has ever looked quite so beautiful.

“She murdered millions and broke her own mind into pieces.” Sykora reaches past Waian and plucks the bag of nuts off the table. “Now she sees the servants of the Empress as the same genocidal automata she proved to be. I will show her that the strength of the Taiikari Empire rests not merely in our fealty to Zithra XIX, but in Zithra’s faith in her servants, and the power she has vested into our hands.” She roots around in the bag and produces a handful. “I will demonstrate to her that she did not fail on Malkest because of the Empire, but because of her own weakness.”

“But she followed the Empress’s order.” Vora’s puzzlement is fermenting into unease. None of them have realized quite what Sykora is saying.

“She did,” Grant says, as his wife chews and swallows. “But the Empress ordered her wrong.”

A stunned silence around the command table. Vora breaks it again, her voice high and tight with uncertainty. “That’s… that’s a dangerous thing to say, Majesty.”

“Do you presume Her High Majesty would disagree?” Sykora returns the bag to its place by her paralyzed chief engineer. “Do you think she considers Malkest a victory?”

“No, of course not, but…”

“She has been working for kilocycles now to bring the great bulwark of the Empire into a new era,” Sykora says. “She has done so through deeply unorthodox means. It is time for us to square our shoulders to the great glacier and help her push. I would sooner risk her displeasure at the venture’s onset than bring her despair at its conclusion.”

Waian’s lips are tightly pulled, into the anticipatory beginning of a grin or a grimace. “Kora,” she says. “Grantyde. Kids. What are you saying?”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/120617...of-maekyon
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/1419041...r/2552105/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Headless Over Heels; Seth surrenders the red cloth and meets The Blue Ekadao.

Dukerino Wrote:“Tell me why,” he said. “Tell me the real reason why and maybe I’ll go hide like you’re asking me to.”

“Fuck you. I don’t know what the fuck you want from me. If this is because I said you weren’t strong—”

“This is because I just found a family and now I want to help keep them alive,” Seth said. “But if you’re honest with me—”

“Honest with you about what?”

“Just say you love me and you’re worried about me, and I’ll hide. I’ll do whatever you want me to.”

“If you go and get your skinny ass killed, then Annalise will—”

“You, Anna. You say it, and I’ll go be the coward you’re pretending I still am.”

“Do you think I like being this?” Anna raked her fingers against her heavy black gambeson. “This evil asshole? I hate being Anna. I want to rip my own fucking head off. It was barely tolerable before your whiny little ass showed up and now it’s torture. So please, Seth, if please is what you want to hear, please take the fucking cloth off and go be safe somewhere and stay out of my sight until I can be the woman you love again.”

“You’re the woman I love right this second.”

“Then please.” Her voice was suddenly so small and unsure. “I can’t. I can’t be like this, when I’m her. I can’t think about how smashed-up Anna is. It’s like when you look at the wound and realize how bad it hurts. I can’t be a person.”

Anna’s not for winning over. She’s a big arsehole cudgel I bash seraphs with. She’s the bits of me I don’t enjoy being. Don’t worry about Anna. She isn’t good for us.

He unwrapped the cloth from his arm and held it out to her. The spiky vitality returned to her; she snatched it from his hand. “Now get the fuck off my wall,” she said. “You want to be useful, you go to the inroad by the square, and you keep a tally of how many more bodies we get.”

“All right,” Seth said. “I see any sorcerers, I’ll send them your way.”

“Good,” she said, and then, like it was an afterthought, “You’re not a coward. That’s true.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re rash.”

“I’ll take that,” Seth said, and left her there in the slowly brightening street.


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...lue-ekadao
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2558710/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
After the excerpted part of yesterday's Headless Over Heels, the knowledge that sarkanian mages are usually stormcallers gave Seth what he had to admit was an incredibly stupid idea. Turns out the active head agrees.

Dukerino Wrote:“No,” Anna said.

“Anna—”

“No. I will not allow it.” Her whiskers twitched. She tried to keep them as still as she could—Seth had called them cute once.

“We’re wasting time.” Seth tightened the noseband on his nameless horse’s bridle. By the roadside, his would-be traveling companion, the lizard wizard, waited quite still atop his unsettled horse. “If I go now, I can make it there and back before sunset. I’m at a gallop until Tondarre. We trade horses there and ride hard to Shipfarrok, we’re there by three, and then we go at full clip till we’re back at Shaheill’s gate. It can work.”

“How do you fucking know?” Anna demanded. “You don’t know horses and you don’t know stormships. Who told you this?”

“Tiago knows horses.” Seth pointed to her son where he sat and gnawed his Larrot Provisions jerky stick, his legs dangling from the slats of the south gate watch platform. “And the Blue Ekadao knows stormships.”

“Somewhat,” the lizard said.

“Tiago doesn’t know what he’s talking about.” Anna shot her traitorous boy a withering look. “And we need Ekadao’s siege spells. If he isn’t—”

“The Blue Ekadao,” the sarkanian said.

“What?”

The sarkanian gave a brief wave with the tip of his tail. “Kindly refer to me as the Blue Ekadao.”

Anna dialed the frigidity of her frown to gale force.

The Blue Ekadao tilted his head. “Is something wrong?”

“She’s scowling at you,” Seth said drily. “As a threat.”

“Pardon me, Madam Verdugo.” The Blue Ekadao dipped his head in an apologetic bow. “As a son of Sarkani, I am unskilled at reading the expressions of kindred with facial muscles. But your subordinate asked and I answered.”

Seth’s composure was tilted a few degrees askew by subordinate. Anna liked the Blue Ekadao a little better. “Do you know how to fly a stormship?” she asked.

“Somewhat, Madam Verdugo, but not well.”

“I’m not doing a trade circuit on it,” Seth said. “I’m not using its guns. I’m not even trying to land the fucking thing. I’m crashing it into the big bastard.”

“There will be other sorcerers, mother,” Tiago said. “And if it works, it’ll kill the thing deader than a dozen siege spells.”

“You don’t want me on the front.” Seth hung his gaudy new saber from his horse’s harness. “Okay. Good. I’m glad, if you want to hear that. I was putting on a brave face and maybe doing a bit of a tantrum, but I was terrified. I’m not built for a stand-up fight with a blackfeather. You’re right about that. And I’m right about this.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...escendants
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2560512/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Headless Over Heels.

Quote:“I’m the Verdugo’s boyfriend.”

“Her?” Sarkanian emotions remained protean and strange to Seth, but the incredulity in the Blue Ekadao’s her was unmistakable. “I thought myself habilitated to humanity, but you have given me much to learn. She seemed far more eager to twist your head off than give you her belly in ardor.”

“She’s… not always such a jerk,” Seth said. “She switches heads. That’s her Darkness.”

“Ahh.” A smell like freshly cut grass from the Blue Ekadao. “This seems complex.”

“Sorta. Never boring, though.”

“Surely not. It is as if you have your own knfz in one woman.”

“You understand I don’t know what that word means, man.”

“Eh, a Sarkani thing. A result of our asymmetry. Each male has many lovers.”

“Like a harem?”

“If you say so.”

“I dunno if she’d be thrilled to be called that,” Seth said. “Well, maybe Lisa.”

“I have thought now and then of becoming unlit for the benefit of its longevity and power,” the Blue Ekadao mused. “But this is a female pursuit in my lands, as most pursuits are besides the insemination of one’s knfz. A mateable sarkanian male is quite the commodity. I am, as I have told you, in the minority.”

“I remember,” Seth said. It was the fourth time the Ekadao had mentioned it.

“It is not the fashion for a male to sally forth in this way. There is a perfumed tent full of eager would-be mothers who lack me.”

“Sounds a bit like you’re bragging, the Blue Ekadao.”

The Blue Ekadao’s tail swished, further getting to his thoroughly gotten-to horse. “It is a brag, yes. I am glad that came through without the scent cue.”

The long lozenge of the stormship sat derelict where Tiago had touched it down, in the shadow of the ridge upon which Shipfarrok sat. Grounded and inanimate as it was, it put Seth again in mind of a fish—a dead one, this time, drifted to the pooling silt.


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...-propeller
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2564189/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
The Greenfield Family.

icehead Wrote:It's the moment of crisis. Justin has come back and now holds something that can ruin the lives of the Greenfields and everyone they love. What are they going to do now?

But of course, trust Raven to come up with a plan.

And if all goes well, Justin is not the only one with a little well-deserved justice coming his way, as Keiko is due to give Barry what he's earned from his abuses too.

https://storiesonline.net/n/52852/the-gr...-family/48

Princess of the Void.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/120617...-belong-to
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/1419041...r/2565654/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Headless Over Heels cuts back to the Verdugo as she and the good kindred of Shaheill face Enna-Belum.

Dukerino Wrote:Anna’s drawing had captured Enna-Belum’s silhouette acceptably enough, by her estimation. There was the head bedecked with horns, there the heavy knuckle-walking front legs and the digitigrade predator’s haunches. There were the spines along his shoulders and studding his back. There was the size, just as she’d promised, a train car’s worth of flesh and an army’s worth of hatred packed into a bovine’s worth of brains.

But the sounds of dismay from her warriors taught her that she had come nowhere near a proper depiction. Who could? What sane hand could reproduce the face that hung beneath those horns? Or faces perhaps, it was hard to tell. A confusion of loose, flabby features, as though a card table’s worth of leather-skinned old veterans had been flensed and sewn together with only the vaguest idea of a human face’s proper contours. This nightmare conglomeration hung like fleshy curtains from the thing’s skull, curling and flexing as it approached like the puckering of lips, the eight filmy eyes a concentric spiral around its leech-sucker mouth.

“Saints sanctify us.” A blond-bearded man tapped the guy next to him. “Arvind. You could’ve warned us your mother’s visiting.”

“Tighten up,” Anna said, over the stricken laughter that drew out of the spearline, but it was on instinct. Better they be laughing than wailing.


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...enna-belum
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2571401/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Headless Over Heels.

Dukerino Wrote:“I spent the whole ride dreading what I’d come back to.” Seth plucked petals from his new marigolds as they passed Shaheill’s square, where jade-laden saintspeakers were unfolding cots and raising white canvas triage tents. “Coming back and seeing you there, you and Feeli and Tiago—the world took a boot off my chest. So if you’re getting ready to chew me out, I’ll bear it, but I need you to know that I’ll never regret it.”

Anna’s ears flared straight outward. “Chew you out for killing a blackfeather? That’s what you think of me?”

“I’m just going off prior experience here,” Seth said.

“Shut up.”

“But if you wanted to give me a slap on the back instead—”

“Shut up,” Anna hissed. “Miyalakam niap kei.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...or-shut-up
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2573507/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Last time, on Headless Over Heels...

Dukerino Wrote:He kissed her, and she kissed him back, despite the gruesome effluvial stains they were both soaked in. “If I stay lying here,” he whispered, “I think I’m gonna fall asleep.”

She replied with an enervated “hmm.”

He hmmed back.

Annalise was too bleeding tired to say what she wanted to, which was either right-o, we oughta get a move on, or will you marry me and be my husband, she wasn’t sure which. Her eyes drooped shut.

The hammering of a fist on a door. “Mom.” It was Tiago. Bang bang bang.

Annalise groaned as her fox shifted in her arms. “Fecking what,” she called.

“Need you in the square,” Tiago called.

“Can’t you do whatever it is?”

“No.” Tiago had carefully pruned all emotion from himself before he’d come to her. “I’m sorry, mom. I can’t do it. It has to be you.”

Here was a worry worth the waking. With great effort, Annalise raised her head to the window. “What’s happening, sunshine?”

“The deep-wounded are starting to unlight.” All the victory cheer had left Tiago’s face. The dour, dark-eyed soldier was back in residence. “We have one animaxis. We can catch one soul. Someone has to decide whose.”

And now, the continuation.

Quote:The village square’s conversion to a field hospital was more-or-less complete by their arrival. Vast white mushrooms grown up from the cobbles after a strange and terrible storm. A black-haired, leathery woman sat on her haunches outside the largest of these new growths, smoking a cigarette and gazing with cold neutrality at her hand, which shook like an autumn leaf about to dislodge.

Ofelia stood next to her, with a bummed smoke in her mouth and a dog-eared book under her arm. “The poppy juice does an amazing job,” she said. “I’d expected more screaming.”

“The screaming shan’t be missed,” the woman said, half paying attention to the unlit girl.

Ofelia trapped her cigarette between her teeth and waved to her approaching family. “They’re using this amazing anodyne in there, Mother. Dolores says it’s made from poppies.”

“Verdugo al Kanap was rattling on about this stuff last winter,” Annalise said. “Glad to see it’s moving south. The wonders of technology. Beats the hell out of a slug of whiskey and a dowel in the mouth, I reckon.”

Dolores surveyed the gathered retinue with dispassion. “You’re here to pick, then.”

Tiago nodded. “Where’s the animaxis?”

“Ursula.” The woman stood and whistled. “Ho. Ursula. Bring the soul mirror.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...8-animaxis
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2577689/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
The Greenfield Family.

icehead Wrote:We're now kicking of the Gathering, a big weekend event for the Greenfields and all their nearest and dearest to come together for their own special kind of bonding activity. This is day one, where the participants will be split off into random groupings, just whomever with whomever is in the same group. Let's see what kind of roulette combinations we get.

In other news, the paid version of the story on ZBookStore has been updated, not only with a new round of editing, but it now includes an additional bonus story, "College Days," chronicling the ensuing year at college after the end of the story proper. It has been broken into multiple parts so as to chronologically wrap around the existing bonus story "A Greenfield Family Christmas" which takes place in the middle of it. If you've already purchased the book, you should be able to download the new version for free; if you still haven't, now's the perfect time!

https://storiesonline.net/n/52852/the-gr...-family/49

Princess of the Void.

Dukerino Wrote:“No, hold on. Shit, gimme a second.” Ipqen pops the lid of her beer can and stomps with purpose to the console. “You know what I’mma play? Me and Ruaq been listening to some Maekyonite music.”

“Oh, shit.” Grant sits further back on the floor. “Whatcha got?”

“I got all kinds of stuff. Chief Engineer slipped me a download of the cultural immersion packet.” Ipqen pauses her scroll. “Was she not supposed to do that?”

“Dunno,” Grant says. “Probably not.”

“It is off to the brig with her,” Ajax says, solemnly, into his half-empty beer.

“Overruled,” Grant says. This is the fifth time they’ve done this stupid routine and it’s only getting funnier as he gets drunker.

Ipqen queues up a song. “This one. Fuck yeah.” She nods along earnestly to the ripping guitars on its intro. “Now lemme ask you, what is making that racket?”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/120617...nt-to-live
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/1419041...r/2579822/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Headless Over Heels.

Dukerino Wrote:A convocation was held for the dead in Shaheill’s square, once the last of the wounded were taken to their own beds or gave up their battles. The mourners insisted on bringing their unlit guests to the front of the crowd to stand with the banged-up, bandaged defenders. Every crowd that Seth had attended lately, in the shadow of the scaffold, had come to observe an execution. Odd to gather now, when the killing had already been done.

The dozen dead were arrayed in a semicircle before the scaffwood, wrapped in plant-fiber shrouds. You could tell which were Shaheilli by the trinkets and remembrances their weeping families had laden them with. The warriors who had joined from the further villages and garrisons had only the flowers and the generic icons about them, or scrimshawed tokens furnished by their comrades; nobody else knew much about them, save for how they had died.

Saint-Worship preached the sacredness of returning the departed shells to the cycles of the earth, just as the spirit returned to the Wheel. The burial cloaks were made to rot with the corpses. The bodies were bare beneath them and dusted with an apothecarial concoction meant to soften them and speed the return to loam.

There were no popmite farms in Shaheill; otherwise the shrouded bodies might have been lowered into them, to feed the insatiable larvae. The dead would be buried in the fields instead, that they might make the crops grow. The il Teremis who had died, they’d put below the rhubarb.

Moora and Alain they’d burn, to keep the unlit blood from climbing the roots of their crops. A smaller pyre, separate from Enna-Belum’s vast and foul blaze, surrounded by charm poles and laden flowers.

A pretty saintspeaker cenobiyant stood atop the scaffold where Annalise would usually tread, her hair bound up in the six needles, her eyes painted with the forest-green lines of the lakrimat. Her hands and feet dipped in the ceremonial mud. She was young, barely out of her teens, and on her face was the fundamental tranquility of a girl at a funeral for whom death would not be real for a decade or more.


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...o-preliyat
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2586403/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
https://archiveofourown.org/works/538299...adult=true

Gushing Succubus: In The Shadow Of Her Wings
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Headless Over Heels.

Dukerino Wrote:The sun reached its apex and began its downward path. The carriage and its attendant wagon was passing a ring of sacraliths. Someone had taken a chisel to their caps, and defaced the rough-hewn, blobby faces of the Plainland protogods who had abandoned the world to the seraphs. Seth had never seen any of these intact, but in places along the roads they remained: the holy-world equivalent of a mummified thief hung in a gibbet to warn the rest.

It was here, beside the mangled gods of the old world, that Riccana il Teremi awoke for the first time since her soul was ripped from her.

By the time Annalise had gotten Draco and Draka to a halt, Riccana was sitting up and screaming. They hurried from the carriage to the wagon, where Tiago had dismounted, presumably to help the girl off the wagon. For his troubles he was being kicked repeatedly in the chest.

“Let me off,” Riccana barked. “Don’t touch me.”

“Okay.” Tiago backed away, hands up. “Okay, not touching. But you’re still only partway healed. If you exert yourself too hard—”

Riccana tipped out of the wagon and fell on her face.


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...-so-afraid
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/2385004...r/2588915/
Reply
RE: The Dead Dove Locker -- "I don't know what I expected."
Before starting this week's Headless Over Heels, Dukerino had an announcement (which had already been pre-mulled on his discord).

Dukerino Wrote:I will be dropping the update frequency from 3 to 2 times a week, with no more updates on Tuesday. Really sorry that I have to do this but I've run low on the generous buffer with which I began this story and need to lower my output down to a sustainable pace that matches my rate of writing.

When the story started I'd intended to stay at 1.7 to 1.8k words a chapter, but they have evened out into my usual pace of roughly 2.2 to 2.5k words instead (with this one being 3k, for example!)

If I get my buffer back into a nice spot I will see about going back up to thrice a week! But at the moment, between this and PotV, I'm putting out more than 10,000 words most weeks and it's unfortunately not a pace I can sustain while working my day job. I hope some day to become a full time writer who can put out a billion chapters a day for you. Until then, please accept my apology and enjoy the chapter!

I know I enjoyed getting to see the al Ydris Estate.

And then Duke Wrote:It was smaller than Rohan il Agante’s big garish hall; that caught Seth by surprise. But it was many times older, and many times more expensive. He could tell within seconds. The tall A-frame center turret, ornamented with delicate blackstone roses. The clustered columns of metamorphic marble stone arch above the heavy wooden front door, with its tympanum displaying an image of a helmed and hauberked warrior standing boldly alone amidst a phantasmagoric host of seraphs. It was huge and beautiful and gothic and imposing, but somehow it was warm, too, outstretched and eager to welcome them. Something about it said home.

Just like its mistress, Seth realized, and the last of the shock faded. Suddenly he couldn’t imagine a woman like Annalise living anywhere else.

There were flowers growing wild and tall on the manor’s eaves, and lights on in the central circular window. They trooped inside, casting off their dusty boots. Tongue-and-groove paneling in rich blackstain mahogany wound its way at waist height down the corridor, sprouting upward at regular intervals in art deco arches to ensconce flylamps. Thick amber glass encased the bulbs, turning their pallid corpselight warm and caramel where it lay across the ivy-patterned sagebrush wallpaper. Seth had seen rich homes and sumptuously appointed hallways before—he’d run for his life through them. None of them had felt as cozy as Annalise’s.

They stopped by a door set into an A-framed archway, its crest topped with crossed pistols. A clawfooted seat was nuzzled into the hall’s opposite corner where a staircase led to the manor’s second floor, each step paneled on its front face with scenes of hunting hounds and foresters. Annalise tossed her coat onto the seat and hung her battered roadwarden hat on the globe atop the staircase’s banister. She swept into the pistol marked room. “Dalf!” came her ebullient cry. “You’ve made a menagerie of my drawing room.”


https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/173313...221-estate
coming to Scribble Hub at some point
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)