Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There goes another chunk of my faith in humanity.
There goes another chunk of my faith in humanity.
On the news of the station that shows CSI here, they recently had a special report on the dangers of text messaging while driving.

The idea that anyone would need that explained to them makes my head hurt. Or it makes me want to write things in all capital letters. With cursing. Lots of
cursing.

I mean, talking on cell phones is bad enough (and I ranted about that before somewhere), but this?

I think I'll propose that all cars be fitted with faraday cages. -.-

Alternatively, how about anyone using their phone while driving will have their phone taken from them and smashed then and there? That'd probably help.

-Morgan.
Re: Faith in humanity
Just try reading some of the real product warnings and instructions listed here, like "Remove child before folding" on a baby
stroller, or "Do Not Iron Clothes on Body," on a Rowenta clothes iron, or "Instructions: Open Packet, Eat Nuts" on a packet of nuts served
by American Airlines. Really, there's very little along these lines that surprises me anymore.

In addition, this fits well amongst the idiocy of some of the "special reports" I've seen on local tv news anymore. They'll scrape together
anything they can to come up with some "terrible, imminent danger" that you just have to watch their show so they can warn you about it.

--The Twisted One

"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire

Quote:They'll scrape together anything they can to come up with some "terrible, imminent danger" that you just have to watch their show so they can warn you about it.
Usually on the next-to-last segment, right before they show you the cute baby ourang-utan that was born in the zoo yesterday, just so you have to watch the whole freaking news program to learn the warning is bogus and stupid.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I think my faith in humanity was broken a long time ago when I read Douglas Adam's four volume trilogy and I confirmed for myself that yes there are
instructions on a box of toothpicks on how to use them.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

Safety warnings and use directions are - and honestly should be - delivered to the lowest common denominator. How many people need them really varies.
So, my faith, she is intact.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Faith? What faith? You think I actually have faith in the rest of humanity? Humanity, as a whole is rather hopeless. I put my faith in individuals.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I can't recall which comedian said this:

"I'm not saying stupidity should be illegal, but just take off all the warning lables and let nature take it's course."

Sounds like Carlin, but I could be wrong.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll