Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for animated gif creation software.
Looking for animated gif creation software.
I find myself wanting to make animated gif files of small segments out of very large video files. I'd also like to be able to crop and resize as part of the same process, without having to go through multiple programs to do it all.

Given time, I think I could probably write code to do most of this myself, which makes me wonder if there's already a program that will do this job in a relatively simple way. Anyone know one?

-Morgan.

Virtual Dub will do it from my recollection:
http://www.virtualdub.org/
Edit:
There are a lot of guides out there that involve using virtualdub to export frames and then use another tool to animate them. Dont to that. They are old and virtualdub has supported exporting to animated gifs since 2007.

Looks like it can't handle my input files. Even when I install the necessary vfw codec, the picture is messed up.

-Morgan.

You can do all you need in GIMP. Not all at once, but it can handle most every format I've tried throwing at it so far.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

GIMP can't select ranges and extract the frames from the multi-gigabyte MP4 files I'm working with. I was kind of hoping for something that would integrate that step into one utility.

I'm also finding it takes a great deal of screwing around if I want to save a gif that is both a) optimized, and b) has a delay other than 100 ms per frame. (Although I found a script that simplifies that, it still seems to take more steps than should be strictly necessary.

-Morgan.