Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antivirus advice
Antivirus advice
My antivirus is about to run out.
I've been using bitdefender, but I'm not fond of it. It keeps asking me to log into their website, and it's got a very annoying habit of flashing large advertisments for itself on the bottom of my screen.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, discrete antivirus?

Avast.
Get the free version.
Yes it has the odd "ad" like in a pop up once a week in the corner for a few seconds or so, and it does let you know when its updating itself (as all antivirus programs should)... but I've basically tuned the popups out.

I've been using the free Mircrosoft Security Essentials for the last few years with no problems. No slowdown either, unlike when I used Norton or Kaspersky.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Same here -- five years with MSE on my primary machine at home. It's caught a couple things, otherwise I'd never know it was there.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I use AVG and get pretty good results with it. However, I do use MSE on my secondary system, and I find that I have to run Spybot and Malwarebytes whenever I log on. This may be because I normally use that machine once a week or so, rather than the everyday of my primary desktop, so I am noticing it, but there you are.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Avast is mostly harmless....

My desktop has malwarebytes on it and nothing else because it's not really used to browse the web.

I prefer to keep the gribblies from getting onto my system rather than beat them when they do. Noscript and Adblock+ in firefox help a great deal with that. The only 'infection' I've had in the last few years was some stupid browser toolbar that came with a HDD disk monitoring as bundled checkshit that I missed.