Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh. Sweet. "Physics is broken."
Oh. Sweet. "Physics is broken."
Apparently, researchers -- the article doesn't say where -- have found evidence of a flaw in the "Standard Model."  Could this discovery uproot any other certainties?  I'm not sure whether to be excited or horrified....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

The article has a link to the paper -- it's http://arxiv.org/pdf/1502.05314.pdf]here, and authored by Carl E. Carlson, Physics Department, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA.

In fact, there are multiple links there to different related papers and articles, like http://science.sciencemag.org/content/353/6300/669]this one.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*Shrugs* Just some undocumented feature of the Universe we haven't figured out yet. Give it a bit of time, and hopefully this will lead to some great breakthrough. Besides, it's not like physics is actually broken. Just some of our understanding of the very-very-fine-details.

Until then, things should work just fine as they have in the past.

I'm looking forward to what they discover. Smile

This better not be a case of 'it changed/broke because you looked at it' Damn Schrodinger's Quantum Mechanics.

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
*Shrugs* Just some undocumented feature of the Universe we haven't figured out yet. Give it a bit of time, and hopefully this will lead to some great breakthrough. Besides, it's not like physics is actually broken. Just some of our understanding of the very-very-fine-details.

Until then, things should work just fine as they have in the past.
Exactly, B.A.  Almost all the great advances have come after someone uttered "wait a minute..." or "that's strange..." 
Science is not a monolith.  It is an endless series of refinements to our understanding of how things work.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The problem is that science has become a religion to too many people who should know better.  Text books that were initially labelled "correct at time of press", have become stone tablets that must never change no matter how obvious the flaws have become.
Science at its best is like the people who try all the possible outcomes in a rpg and find not only the best intended builds and ideal walkthroughs, but also the developer hacks that were left in and the unintended bugs that even the programmers never even knew about.
I heard a podcast several years ago suggesting that a unknown aspect of gravity could be behind the strange events that occur at haunted houses.  I have no idea whether it was a decent theory or not, but I suspect I can guess the response if you went to a university department and asked for the money to research it.  The opening of the original Ghost Busters film springs to mind.
On the other hand someone has to decide who gets funding and would you want to be the university who refused money for a project for the next Mars probe to fund a study of haunted houses?  Or even worse explaining to the jury why you gave permission for your science lab to clone the T-rex that subsequently escaped and ate all your students.
Finally if you do discover a completely new science, make sure you make it public as soon as possible.  That way the powers that be aren't tempted to silence you.  Sure they can discredit you and/or seize it under security laws but you are much more likely to live to tell the tale.
Mark