Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy cow, Thundersnow
Holy cow, Thundersnow
So as I'm sure some of you already know, a new Nor'easter is swinging through the Atlantic states here in the US.  Right now I'm working from home and the snow is coming down like soapflakes in an elementary school play.  And we just had an intense and long-lasting rumble of thundersnow.  If you don't know what that is, it's a rare weather phenomenon that's exactly what it sounds like -- thunder generated by a snowstorm.  Apparently it's happening all through the storm, up and down the I-95 corridor and surprising and alarming even jaded New Yorkers.  I know that until 15 minutes ago I only knew of thundersnow from reading about it...  now I can check another item off my ill-defined and somewhat imaginary bucket list.

NBC New York's article on it from about half an hour ago.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Holy cow, Thundersnow
Just think, Bob - in four or five months, all this snow will be a pleasant memory.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Holy cow, Thundersnow
If you're tired of the oul shnow, I suggest you move to Ireland

If we get more than 8cm of snow they hang the 'Were closed' sign out and close the entire country down for the two-three days it lasts before melting. Then it's gone - and sure it's cost the country a few million to stop for a day or two, but it's cheaper than keeping all that snow equipment on standby.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.