Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, I Know, The Ads Are Back
Yes, I Know, The Ads Are Back
In the last two days, 10/20-10/21, something hit the boards for over 700,000 page views and drained away all the Gold Ad-Free page view credits we had bought and banked at the end of August.
I have submitted a complaint and demand to get the credits back to Yuku support.  I will keep folks up to date on what they say.
(Edit: fixed spelling errors caused by being tired and sick last night)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

they might of been used up when he had that bug a while back and everyone had to hammer the refresh button just to get pages to laod.... can we get credit back for that?

No, that doesn't seem to be it. That was at the beginning of the week. The vast majority of this whatever-it-is happened today. Judging from the usage stats, those refreshes didn't hurt us at all.
-- Bob
---------

Could be Baidu, or another search engine indexing its way through Yuku in an inelegant way.

Do search engine spiders count as page views?

I believe so -- anything that retrieves a page counts.

In any case, if all has gone well the ads should be gone, at least for the moment. Yuku support has sent me the following message:
Quote:It is a traffic spike and your board got hit. Our technicians are looking into this. In the meantime, we've frozen the ads at your community.

No ads will be seen at your community. Once this has been sorted out, we'll give the ad-free pageviews back that you lost.
What the cause of the traffic spike might be, there's no hint yet.
-- Bob
---------

Good of them to look into the issue and freeze the ads, at least for the moment. Will they let you know who/what is responsible for the spike?

I would hope so. But they haven't said anything on that yet.
-- Bob
---------

It's been a couple of weeks – any word on this yet?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

No. The last time I checked the ticket -- about a week ago, IIRC -- there had been nothing new on it. Pageview count is still zeroed out.

Is anyone seeing ads? I never do, so it's hard for me to tell.
-- Bob
---------

Ads still seem to disabled around here, at least to me. Yuku may be slow, but at least they're good to their word o.o
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Just checked the ticket. No update since 10/22.

As long as the ads stay gone, I'm happy to let them take as much time as they need to resolve the issue.
-- Bob
---------
Update
Some time last week, we got all the pageviews credited back.  I was sure I had posted something about that other than in the forum headline, but I'll just add it here, too.
In addition, I got the following email from a Yuku support person.  I actually received it before the Thanksgiving weekend, but I was a bit busy and overlooked it until now.
Quote:It was an error on our end that was corrected shortly after it happened, but we kept the ads turned off for a while.Just so you know,  we turned ads on after returning the lost
views, but now we turned ads off again while we are doing some general
stats testing. (not on your board in particular, but we'll still keep
ads turned off until we are absolutely certain that everything is
recording corredctly.
So... no ads for a while for anyone, apparently.
-- Bob
---------