Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horribly, horribly, horribly awful idea
Horribly, horribly, horribly awful idea
Drop Doug on the Well World. 1560 different new races to try to figure out. The possibility of actually becoming one of them (although Doug of all people should be able to figure a way around this). Solving the Master Equation (you know how hackers always say "Look, God, all I need is a few minutes with the source code and a quick recompile"? Well, the Well is a terminal with root access....)
Re: Horribly, horribly, horribly awful idea
I _think_ some sort of Jack Chalker thing was mentioned as a possible Future Step by Bob.
After all, Chalker has done a load of stuff other than Well World. I would quite like to see what Doug would do in the Spirits of Flux and Anchor setting, or even the Wonderland Gambit series (you _are_ the code in that one!), and some older ones like G.O.D. Inc could be fun as well.
The problem with a Chalker setting, is that Doug might have to work real hard to come out as the same race, never mind the same sex! How some of the settings would interact with his mage talent might be a bit problematical, as unless Doug has a meta get out clause, he may find the local reality wont let him use it, which might spoil the point of a lot of stories.
Still, Doug has proved to be pretty flexible in past! [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Well World
My original plans for the Walk set the Well World as Step 6 -- the spot now occupied by DW-Eva. I had no real plot; I just wanted to get him a translator crystal.
I may still put the Well World back into the Walk some day -- a lot of the back end is currently in flux, and there's certainly room for it. I've been a Chalker fan since... well, that's an odd little story. I went to Paris in 1977 on a high school trip, and found "Midnight at the Well of Souls" in paperback in the only English-language bookstore I encountered in either France or Switzerland. I bought it and devoured it on the flight back. Then I kept my eyes open for other Chalker books over the following years. I still have that original first printing paperback, too...
Anyway, no promises about putting the WW back into the Walk. Hell, I can't make any promises about finishing the Walk, though I'm gonna try my damnedest.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.