Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice wanted: USB TV Tuners
Advice wanted: USB TV Tuners
I've been comparison shopping for these things and none of them have what I want. Or rather, none of them have only what I want.

I don't want to pay for something that would let me watch broadcast TV on my laptop; I only want to be able to use it as a portable game console screen -- to hook it up to my PS2, in short. Does anyone know of any product that would just do that?

--Sam

"All right, culture... show me where it hurts!"

You want composite input to your laptop? most mid range to high end graphics cards come with an adapter for that, but I'm not sure about laptops.

a bit of quick googeling gives something like this: http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-VX6.html

I would have though USB slow for streaming uncompressed video but apparently it's possible.

Search for 'composite to usb' and that will give you what you are looking for.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

http://www.hauppauge.com/

Hauppage has a couple USB TV tuners, be warned they *may* lag input->display. Not a problem for TV, but it sucks for PS2.

If you have a screen, there's always this: http://www.kworldcomputer...og/013/1680ex_tv_box.htm. It's an external box that
can convert video signal to VGA.

I tried it, and it's not bad, but 480i doesn't convert nicely.

Hmmm.

The specs look impressive, but the internets seem to be less than impressed.

I'd like something like this, but I don't need something that makes the visual quality of the PC output look worse. Fuzzy text + how much time I spend
reading things online = x.x

-Morgan.

Uh, Morgan, 4 and 3.5 star average ratings are usually considered *good*.

Honestly, it's not bad for the PS2. You'll notice artifacts because of the conversion from an interlaced image to a non-interlaced one, but on the few
480p games it looks remarkably good. If I had the room for it I'd totally use mine more.

Interesting, thanks all. [Image: smile.gif] I'll go over 'em and pick one to order when I can next afford it.

--Sam

"Try new Drama Flakes! Making your life more dramatic and exciting with every golden spoonful!"

"If you keep your regular monitor routed through the tuner box as your normal setup, you will notice a decided drop in quality while using your PC. I run
my monitor at 1680x1050 and text is noticeable fuzzy, colors are washed, and I have issues with ghosting."

This is the part I find concerning.

(I don't even bother to look at star ratings most of the time; people who really care one way or the other will have some *words* for you.)

-Morgan.

OOOh. Yeah, I never noticed that because I only buy monitors with both Digital and Analog inputs, and just pop the screen input back and forth. Probably not as
good as the PIP, but works better for me.

"If you keep your regular monitor routed through the tuner box as your normal setup, you will notice a decided drop in quality while using your PC. I run
my monitor at 1680x1050 and text is noticeable fuzzy, colors are washed, and I have issues with ghosting."

That is because (NTSC) television is 525 by 486, colors are analogue and so there is a conversion loss (and not that many colors are supported), and it runs at
less than 30 frames per second, and, because we probably switch from interlaced to de-interlaced, effectively half that so less than 15 frames per second, even
if the conversion doesn't cause a delay which it almost certainly will.

Those are problems with TV technology, tv output won't look as good as computer output.

As an aside since many people seem interested in such a device, a tuner is what lets you select which stream you want out of all the incoming data. Which is
necessary for watching TV since TV has multiple channels. A converter will switch between one format to another, such as switching from composite (a common
output on VCR's, video cameras and game consoles) to VGA or similar.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

But why are you looking at a TV tuner when all your requiring is a way to input video like a video capture device. Then again I'm also wondering why do you
want to fire the output of a PS2 through a laptop when either a standalone monitor or headset display would do the job.

Quote: But why are you looking at a TV tuner when all your requiring is a way to input video like a video capture device. Then again I'm also wondering why do
you want to fire the output of a PS2 through a laptop when either a standalone monitor or headset display would do the job.

'Cuz I don't have a clear idea what's needed to do the job; and because I suspect that it'd be cheaper than buying a separate monitor.
Comparison shopping.

--Sam

"What does the sofa turn into? Your sonar radar perimeter defense unit?"

http://www.hauppauge.com/...roducts/data_usblive.html

looks like it's got an s-video in. I believe an S-video is about the best you're gonna get.

I, personally, have always had really good luck with Hauppauge gear, I've got an older USB 1 tuner of theirs, and I've used it for precisely what
you're discussing (was playing Wii on my laptop in the middle of an airport ^_^)
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Oooh yeah, that appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

--Sam

"Well, let's go beat up that hedge then."

Kinda mentioned that with my first post. [Image: happy.gif]

EML, if you do get one, let me know how the lag is.