Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half-Blood Prince
Half-Blood Prince
I thought we had a thread for this film already, but I can't find it, dammit.
Okay, Peggy and I finally got a chance to see the movie tonight.  Beautiful film, way too much stuff left out.
At the very least, they could have explained why Snape called himself the Half-blood Prince...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, at least book seven is going to be split into 2 movies, so they won't need to leave as much out for that one.

True enough.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this last night: I take back any and all concerns I may have had about Bonnie Wright's acting ability. She turned in a
journeyman (if not a master's) job in the film.
-- Bob
---------

One thing that struck me about movie 6 was just how funny it was. Harry Potter films could get a chuckle every once and awhile (Ron's tap dancing spiders
dream from movie 3 comes to mind,) but usually nothing more than that. But there were some serious hilarity in this one. Harry's "I could get girls
with this" realization in regards to being "The Chosen One." Lavender lidless stare while almost bending a spoon in half. Harry's
deer-in-the-headlights look when Ron asks if he and Ginny "did it." Everything in the Felix Felicis scene. And at one point I think Hermione was
drunk!
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

Quote:And at one point I think Hermione was drunk!
Right before the Katie Bell moment, as they're walking back from Hogsmeade, yeah! She's got this silly smile on her face, she's almost staggering, and she wraps her arms around Ron and Harry's necks/shoulders in a way that says both "I need you to hold me up" and "I love you guys, you know that?" That was my thought, too.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Quote: And at one point I think Hermione was drunk!
Right before the Katie Bell moment, as they're walking back from Hogsmeade, yeah! She's got this silly smile on her face, she's
almost staggering, and she wraps her arms around Ron and Harry's necks/shoulders in a way that says both "I need you to hold me up" and "I
love you guys, you know that?" That was my thought, too.
Which makes me wonder, when Slughorn spilled some of his drink on the table near Hermione's cup, what exactly was in it, and does it react
poorly to mixing with butterbeer?
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Quote: Shepherd wrote:

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Quote: And at one point I think Hermione was drunk!
Right before the Katie Bell moment, as they're walking back from Hogsmeade, yeah! She's got this silly smile on her face, she's
almost staggering, and she wraps her arms around Ron and Harry's necks/shoulders in a way that says both "I need you to hold me up" and
"I love you guys, you know that?" That was my thought, too.
Which makes me wonder, when Slughorn spilled some of his drink on the table near Hermione's cup, what exactly was in it, and does it react
poorly to mixing with butterbeer?

I saw it last night. I too felt that there was quite a bit cut from the book that would've made things more understandable. However, I think that the
Potter franchise of films have developed into more of a supplement to the books and less of a series of standalone films. I think they've also given into
the fan image of Snape as somehow dark and dashing, rather than the greasy small-minded man that he started out to be. In particular, Alan Rickman is wearing
much more flattering collars that don't make his face look fat. As for Hermione's drunkeness, I wonder if someone in the filming misinterpreted
butterbeer as an alcoholic drink. The films never really explain it, but the books to imply that it's the Wizarding equivalent of root beer or ginger beer
(and if you listen, Hermione asks for some ginger in her butterbeer when they order it). Or possibly, they cut part of the scene, and Watson's expression
came from something that the audience didn't see.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

About my one thought here is that Euro's have a much lower legal drinking age IIRC?

Overall though, I'm of mixed feeling hearing that they cut out just who the Half Blood Prince was. To me it felt major enough to tie quite a bit of
material in the book into a more coherent whole...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Oh, you hear who the Half-Prude Blintz is, you just never find out why. He just says, "that's me" and walks off.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: As for Hermione's drunkeness, I wonder if someone in the filming misinterpreted butterbeer as an alcoholic drink. The films never really explain it, but
the books to imply that it's the Wizarding equivalent of root beer or ginger beer (and if you listen, Hermione asks for some ginger in her butterbeer
when they order it).

Butterbeer really is alcoholic. I have no idea how alcoholic, though, as it went out of fashion hundreds of years and I don't know how alcoholic normal
beer might have been in the Renaissance. (I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the SCA/Renaissance Faire types have a modern recreation of it, though, the
way they do with mead.) If you went back in time 500 years, it _would_ be the equivalent of root beer.

Primarily because root beer and ginger beer really are beers. They're supposed to be mildly alcoholic, usually
about 3-5%. Modern soft drinks aren't really the same things, just flavored syrup with similar herbs in the mix. Butterbeer...I've never *heard* of
outside Harry Potter, but I'll bet it's the equivalent of butterscotch, which also was at one time alcoholic.

When you work the RenFaire circuit for twenty years, you learn a few things. Smile

To add to that, I don't remember any instances where the gang are drinking butterbeer that isn't either A: in a pub or B: snuck in by the twins. I
could be wrong, it's been awhile since I read the books.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"