Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ping blackaeronaut - new manga
Ping blackaeronaut - new manga
http://www.usfj.mil/manga/

(Anybody got a scanlation? It isn't as if the original is under copyright, after all...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

.... Well now, this is interesting.

What Rob said.

It's ADORABLE.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

It is that, I definitely agree. What irks me is that whoever did this is condescending enough to think that people that don't have Japanese as their first language are not gonna be interested in this. Seriously, stuff like this has priceless educational value.

Speaking of people who don't have Japanese as a language at all... Are these two little girls supposed to be avatars of the two nations, like in Axis Powers Hetalia? Or are they merely representative individuals?

And is it just me, but is it the case that even without being able to read the text, it's clear that the American girl is kind of ill-mannered but well-intentioned?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

You're not the only one. That's exactly what I was getting from it, Bob.

And yeah. it is adorable. Big Grin

blackaeronaut Wrote:It is that, I definitely agree. What irks me is that whoever did this is condescending enough to think that people that don't have Japanese as their first language are not gonna be interested in this. Seriously, stuff like this has priceless educational value.

Am I just missing the condescending part?

There's no indication of it that I can see. Maybe they just don't have anyone willing to fork over the cash for a translator.

-Morgan.

Morganni Wrote:Maybe they just don't have anyone willing to fork over the cash for a translator.

It was created by the United States military. I'm pretty sure they've got a few dozen translators on staff...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

It was also commissioned from a group that does translation work for a living. No seriously, the group that produced that comic produces comics for the Japanese market that teach people how to speak English.
---------------
Epsilon

The America person is actually a little boy, called Usa-kun.  Hence the bunny ear hoodie. Smile
--Sam
"Ninjas.  I hate them.  They're everywhere."

Well then, has anyone asked them if they are planning on providing an English version, of which one no doubt exists, anytime in the near future. I'd expect it might happen once they finished the run, which appears to be in a another 3 issues.

IMHO it shouldn't cost any more to present an English version side-by-side with the Japanese version as it's produced. Especially if what you guys have said about the company that produces this is true.

To be honest, though, the condescension is probably on behalf of the DoD. The company probably asked for a nominal fee and the DoD reneged.