Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And it Exploded!
And it Exploded!
Wow.  I just had a DVD from Rent Anime explode in my computer's DVD drive.  MonkeyFist and I managed to get all (we think all) of the pieces out.  I was able to burn a CD without problem.  I'll try burning a DVD in a little bit.  MonkeyFist has said he wants to take a picture of the pieces so, if he does, I'll post a shot. 
It wasn't, quite, gunshot loud.  But, it was still loud enough for me to dive for cover and to be heard two rooms away with my door closed and the microwave running.

Eep!

Better not to take any risks that you missed a piece of disc that will come back to scratch another disc - replace the drive.

(What DVD was it, may I ask? I'm wondering whether your PC didn't like the anime... )
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I had that happen a few years back. Even a 99.999% quality control still ends up with .001% flawed items.

I replaced the drive in question, too..
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

This is why friends don't let friends watch Dead Leaves.
(I found a new copy for $2.00 and after watching it, wanted my money and my precious time on earth back).  The noble device was just trying to protect you, but you should still strip it down to ensure all pieces are accounted for.

It was disk 3 of Read or Die TV.  So, not awful.

...Awww man! Sucks that it was such good anime.
Oh, BTW: love your choice for thread title.  It brings back such fun memories.  "You're telling me that thing turned inside out... and then EXPLODED!?"

Never give up! Never surrender!

Yep.  That's why I did it.  Whenever something bad happens, I usually do the "and it exploded." statement, because, well, it was so well done in the movie.
But, the suckatude continues.  Let be start at the beginning:
Early yesterday morning, I was coming home from work (I'm working 1800-0230 MDST for the moment).  I ran the stoplight at Mississippi and Chambers.  That's not me.  I'm a very safe and conscientious driver.  I don't even speed.  The photocop caught me, so I'm looking forward the the utterly suprised look on my face.  ("Mister Skarr, why did you run this light?"  "Well, your honor, I'm a complete idiot."  "An idiot, you say?"  "Well, I would have said that I'm f'ing retarded, but my respect for the bench censored that the first time.")
Then the disk incident happened.
Silly me, I should have noticed that today was not a good day to be me.  But no, I persevered, I went to work.
2132 MDST I get an email from MonkeyFist:
"Z was in an car accident."
Z is my nephew.  He's finishing his senior year of high school, living with his grandfather.  His folks live in New Mexico.  His grandfather is in West Carolina, I think, so I'm the only family he has in town.  I went and told my friend on our resource desk and he shook his head: "You should have stayed in bed, dude."  I went to the hospital to get my nephew.
Z is fine.  Grounded, but fine.  Car is totaled, which sucks when you're eighteen.  I just got back from dropping him off in Littleton (other side of town).  But, hey, it's a new day, so it'll be better than yesterday!

Well, bad news comes in threes, so it looks like your covered for now. As for dealing with the judge... well, just be honest and I'm pretty sure they'll cut you at least some slack - if you're as safe of a driver as you say you are, it'll show on your record. They'll still slap you with a fine, but it'll probably be the minimum.

And I'm sorry to hear that about your nephew - it sucks having a car totaled. My family had a giant 15-passenger van that some insane woman hell-bent-for-leather managed to total using a little red Beretta. She had to have been doing at least sixty-five when she hit the front-passenger-side wheel to have totaled a vehicle whose frame was also used on the trucks of the time (1985, back when they were two shaped huge pieces of steel beams).

Of course, she came out the worst off, requiring reconstructive surgery in her legs (engine block damn near got shoved into her lap with her vehicle wedge under the front-end of the van). My folks got off with bumps, bruises, and a sprain or two.

Mark Skarr Wrote:It was disk 3 of Read or Die TV.  So, not awful.
Having watched and enjoyed the first two discs of RODTV, and then having watched the rest and literally given the entire series away to the first person who would take it, I can only think your DVD drive was clearly looking out for your best interests. Smile

This is some new definition of "best interests" I wasn't previously aware of... (Ah, but - with some notable exceptions - you prefer the non-stop-action shows, as I recall.)
--
Rob Kelk

... yeeeeaaaaa. And it exploded sounds like the purfect summation of the day.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

robkelk Wrote:This is some new definition of "best interests" I wasn't previously aware of... (Ah, but - with some notable exceptions - you prefer the non-stop-action shows, as I recall.)
Umm, no, that really isn't it. I like tons of non-action-intensive shows, I just consider RODTV to be literally the worst anime I've ever seen, and that's not for lack of competition. Not intending to digress into a discussion of the merits of the show, however; it was merely meant to be a humorous comment.

Oh!  Let me add this:  I just got a Juror Summons today!
This week is going to suck.

I know the intersection well there, I used to drive through it all the time. Mississippi is quite the busy stretch, and has been for 20 years.
But that reminds me of a little incident that occurred at Mississippi and Abilene, a couple of miles west of there.
A truck driver heading North on Abilene, before the curve, has some sort of snooze moment. As part of this, he missed the turn, crossed the oncoming traffic on Abilene, snaked past the buildings along Mississippi's south side without doing more than clipping one of them, crossed all SIX LANES of Mississippi during one of the busier times of the day WITHOUT ACTUALLY HITTING ANY CARS, flew down a lane of the Best Buy parking lot, and buried itself in the customer service area of the Best Buy, where the employee had just left the counter on the other side of the wall.
Given how busy that stretch of road is, I'm still amazed more than ten years later that the truck crossed that road without hitting ANYONE on the way through.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

I remember that day, too.  I lived at Parker and Peoria at the time, and went that way to work.  Having worked at a different Best Buy, years ago, I was very glad to hear that no one was hurt.

Here's some humor to ease your pain.

Judge: Is there any reason you could not serve as a juror in this case?

Juror: I don't want to be away from my job that long.

Judge: Can't they do without you at work?

Juror: Yes, but I don't want them to know it.

It would be more like:
Judge:  Can't they do without you at work?"
Me:  I don't know, have you got any burning building calls from Aurora?
But, MonkeyFist reminded me, I haven't lived in Denver County in almost a year, I live in Arapahoe.  The summons is for Denver.  So, I need to let them know.  Yes, I changed all my relevant information, but, as we all know, the government is usually the last to know.

But they sent the letter to your new address?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Nope.  The USPS forwarded it.  It was sent to my old, Denver, address.

Isn't the US government about to shut down because the budget hasn't passed and there's no money to pay anyone? Maybe you won't have to go after all... (Or is this a states' responsibility in the US and thus unaffected by the shutdown?)
--
Rob Kelk

Actually, Jury duty is handeled at the county level
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

and the judiciary is funded differently anyhow. a shutdown of less than 2 weeks would have no effect, IIRC.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Well, I heard back from the Jury Commissioner.  They said to discard the Denver Summons, and expect one from Arapahoe.  Which is par for the course.