Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staple-gun lasers and spaceships without fuel tanks
Staple-gun lasers and spaceships without fuel tanks
The Register: Space: 1999 returning to TV?

I suppose it was only a matter of time. Let's hope they keep the good stories and jettison the silly SFX... but I expect to see those "staple gun" laser pistols, and something closely resembling Eagles but with a place to store fuel.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Heck with visible fuel tankage.  The Eagle can run on pure cool, for all of me.  I wanted one of the toy ones SO bad when i was a kid.  Maybe in a few years I'll be able to 3D-print myself one.

I assume they'll be changing the date in the title though. 8P

Per the article, yes; they're contemplating Space:2099.

Unless Marvel Comics is in on the project, they might run into a few imperial entanglements trying to fly it with that name...

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Marvel Comics may find this difficult to believe, but one cannot copyright a number...
--
Rob Kelk

No, but they can Trademark it. Depends on whether or not a judge agrees.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I suspect a trademark dispute between "Spider-Man 2099" and "Space:2099" would end up the same way as a trademark dispute between "Coca-Cola" and "Pepsi-Cola" (with even less grounds for action, since "Spider-Man 2099" and "Space:2099" aren't as easily confused with each other as Coke and Pepsi are)... but I'm not a lawyer.
--
Rob Kelk

Don't care about any number dispute. 

This is just too fucking cool a concept. I hope they do well with it! 

And the Eagles have always been one of my favorite spaceships of all time. Despite what was actually DONE with them in the show (which often was ridiculous), the actual DESIGN of them made sense on so many levels that just LOOKING at them made you believe in them. Star Trek and Star Wars were both great shows. But their tech had to be explained (Star Trek) or outright ignored (Star Wars). 

There was no explanation necessary with the Eagle. You could look at each individual element and know what it did. It's all right there.