Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AnimEigo requests your opinion
AnimEigo requests your opinion
Robert Woodhead has posted a survey:

Quote:DVD vs. Blu-Ray Pricing Survey

AnimEigo is considering licensing several classic Anime TV series from the 70's, 80's and 90's and releasing them using the crowdfunding model.

One big question we are trying to figure out is: "Should we release on DVD or Blu-Ray?"

DVD production and replication costs are significantly lower than Blu-Ray, so if we release on DVD, we'd be able to do so at a lower price -- and this may make it more likely that the crowdfunding campaign succeeds.

On the other hand, Blu-Ray image quality is better and we'd love to be able to release these series in the best possible format.

This survey is intended to help us figure out which option makes the most sense. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to help us out.

So...

Imagine that AnimEigo has just announced that we're going to be crowdfunding a classic TV series that you love. We intend to release it one season at a time, and the first season contains 26 25-minute episodes (650 minutes of old-school anime goodness). With that series firmly in mind, answer the following questions:

You can take the survey at http://goo.gl/forms/CXw6KqzIQ2
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

.... There isn't much of a point, though, is there? I mean, even in the 90's, High Definition TV wasn't really there yet. I mean, pretty sure there was some basic 720i sets out there with RCA Component Cables, but it wasn't wide-spread enough for anime to be in HD.

That said, the only way I can imagine Blu-Ray really making a difference over DVD without looking ugly is if they got a hold of the original masters and then remastered them. (Better yet, the original animation cells if they exist still.)

The Japanese are remastering quite a few older shows for BluRay - that's why the recent BGC release looks so good. It might make a difference...
--
Rob Kelk

I would like to see Runroni Kenshin and Saber Marionette J and sequels re issued.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Don't tell me - tell AnimEigo...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Don't tell me - tell AnimEigo...
I did.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Heh. Anyone notice the popup hints? First, over the dollar inputs when they're empty or zero: "Amount must be greater than zero (we love you, but not that much)". Email prompt when it's empty: "Apparently, google does not approve of your email address!"
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.