Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: Hey Look there's a lot of Typewriters!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7262793/

Ash Ketchum Got Chosen (okay, that's not the real title, but it amuses me) - surprisingly good, with high technical quality (if the occasional Briticism speech pattern can be overlooked) and a fair dose of humor replacing the kiddiness of the cartoon. And like Ho-oh says, how often can you honestly say, "Arcaeus made me do it?"

- CD

ETA: And Squirtle's Hydro-Pump is the Hydro-Pump that will pierce the heavens!
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Thu'um of a Distant Utopia by Deviatesfish  FS/N: TESV- Skyrim
Dragonborn : Dragonsouled King - enought said. Let the epic commence.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=208024
Alternatively you can find from Beast's Lair

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6256154/1/ The_Unforgiving_Minute

not your typical "harry potter goes back in time to fix stuff" story
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

It's something of a shift from my usual preference for action-adventure, but Human, Conditional is a very interesting, if intellectually/emotionally focused, Hellsing/Firefly cross, set mainly in the Firefly 'Verse as Seras deals first with the end of the Hellsing family line, her deteriorating relationship with Alucard, then the War For Independence, and in the most recent chapter the situation with River and the psychics' academy. It is rather slow to update judging by the author's notes, but I'm hardly one to talk too loud about that, and quality takes time to craft after all.

Technical quality is a little shaky at times, mostly in the form of real-word spellchecker errors or things like "tourist sin" instead of "tourists in" and our favorite draculina has a Gump-ish tendency to be involved in events and with figure who'll later be important, but then it would hardly be a good story if she just lived quietly day to day. I will say this much, Firefly as a whole I can usually take or leave, and Hellsing fics have a sad tendency to rival Naruto highschool AUs for badness, but this story makes me like both.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

This makes the third time I have tried to read "Human, Conditional".
I just can not get into it. It just does not seem that Seras or Alucard is at all in character, and the "firefly" part of the setting is so far from the time period of the show/movie that it doesnt seem to fit the name either.

I found it unreadable as well. The characters were unrecognisable and you had to try and deduce what was going on second hand from them talking about it.

Well, maybe it's just that I'm not usually into Firefly and went into the fic expecting to do that... Eh, no accounting for taste, I suppose. Mine as much as anyone's.

- CD, I'm delicious!
--

This is a little out of season, but worth it for the cameos (and the ending). (And if someone could identify the first pair of cameos for me I'd be very grateful.)

Fun Size Is An Oxymoron

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:This is a little out of season, but worth it for the cameos (and the ending). (And if someone could identify the first pair of cameos for me I'd be very grateful.)

Fun Size Is An Oxymoron
The first one sounds like "One Big Happy" by Rick Detorie.  The second is "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson.  The third is "Peanuts" by Charles Schulz.

Thanks. Never heard of it, but I'll go check it out. The other two I got easily enough.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Team Tensai is an above-average Team 7 Peggy Sue, with a few caveats, mainly centered around the universe being a much more grim & gritty place. There's mention of multiple pedophiles preying on street kids that Naruto has exposed to the ANBU and not all of them "in time" so to speak, and not-very-off-camera torture. It's likely enough to squick anyone with qualms about written blood and gore, the more so when Team 7 are physically 5-7 years old over the course of the fic so far. If you can handle Naruto disposing of Kabuto's remains the Druid way after Sakura and Sasuke spent 26 off camera hours depleting his ability to heal himself, though, it's a well written piece with a logical world and plot, and solid characterization. The mere fact that I am reccomending a grim & gritty should speak volumes as to its other merits. Oh, and if you're uptight about LGBTs, ninja in this world are very not, but it's only a plot point because Naruto persuades Iruka to give his jerk boyfriend the boot, and jokingly calls him 'mother' due to worrywortism.

The author has done a couple of side-stories, but one is random-shorts-you-can-ignore, and the Sasuke one is only if you don't mind going into angst-fest detail about the pedos and slasher-movie detail about their fates. Sakura's, on the other hand, is almost fluffy (certainly as much as anything in this version of the setting) and highly recommended even if you're going to skip the main story, as a great example of how to handle Peggy Sue insertion without sucking.

- CD
--

http://www.fanfiction.net...62/1/Multicolor_Post_Its

Multicolor Post-Its

Harry Potter is the Kyuubi, stuck inside of Uzumaki Naruto. So he teaches the gaki a few new tricks.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I kind of get the impression that WingWyrm either is or knows a rape survivor, because it and overcoming it does seem to be a bit of a recurring theme. Teacup Tempest is a long F-Naruto oneshot that again touches on it, and is again quite well done if potentially rather squicky because of it. There's also a mildly explicit solo shower scene at one point, but nothing too bad - I don't THINK it would trip word-filters, even, but better to be safe if you read at work, and wait until getting home. Really, the only disappointment I have with the story is that it's purely romance/drama and doesn't touch on the action side at all, but doing so would mean losing its focus, and keeping the focus on the plot is a major strength as a short story. If I could just force myself to do the same, I might have a finished story or two to my name rather than a dozen incomplete ones.

- CD
--

It's entirely possible these were noticed before, but I don't find them looking briefly through the previous pages. Pretty good, but I'm not sure if they're good enough to go in Complete Fic Recs. Both are moderate-length one-shots.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6813863/1/Disc_Raised is about how Susan Sto Helit adopted a small boy being bullied in her class one day;

http://www.fanfiction.net...1/A_Discian_in_Ravenclaw is the sequel to wrap things up since the first ended with "The Beginning."

- CD
--

Following on from CD's recs I'm finding that all of FringePersons oneshots are fun:

Calculation - Harry Potter plus Common Sense = Sorted into Headmaster of Hogwarts. I have never seen this done before.

Defenders of Anarchy - You can take the girl out of St. Trinians - but she just ends up spreading it around. Hermione refuses to completely drop her muggle schooling...

She Likes Bugs - It was all just a misunderstanding - She hadn't meant to squish them... and now she had to take care of the brightest one. (Naruto two-shot) 

Real Skill - Naruto has NINJA skills...

After the Mission - Uchiha Fukurou returns from her long term mission as Hermione Granger the night of the Massacre and stops her younger brothers going Missing-nin and insane respectively. Full length novel

http://www.fanfiction.net...he_wayward_Time_Traveler

Though it covers only duplicate Galleons at the moment, this looks to be a useful and informative guide once the various parts all arrive at the same space/time locus. One to keep an eye on.

- CD
--

small town heroes
buffy/marvel ... "Faith, Buffy and Willow are separated and lost in the Marvel Universe. They've saved their own world, can they save this one?"

up to 15 chapters so far... and so far, so good!
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5890484/

Modest, Too - To borrow a line from The Sage of Toads, Harry Potter has a problem, and it's your face. Well, no, actually it's the face on his coins, and certain things the Goblins have been quietly doing behind everyone's backs. Some things happen. The story actually begins as he's been locked into a nearly empty vault (aside from a small chest with two letters, one declaring an Enemy of the Goblin Nation and the other - well, best to readit in the story) and some more things happen. There's rather a loud explosion. He happens to bring Tracy Davis along while escaping it, and things progress from there while the entire financial foundation of wizarding Britian dissipates like a fart in a field. It's pretty good, and could be counted as complete except there are three more alternate endings due according to the author's note.

Weasley fans should probably avoid it, otherwise it's a pretty good, the more so for ignoring HBP and DH entirely.

- CD
--

Trading Kids

The latest from joshlamont. Naruto sillyfic, and possibly the funniest such I've seen in some time.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6248964/15/Dobbys_Return is your basic Peggy Sue, with Dobby as insertee. He's also the viewpoint character, though forunately iy's got 3rd person limited naration so only his dialogue is in Dobbyspeak, and that a mild version comparyfied to how somes fannie-fixes are writing Dobby. It hasn't really distinguished itself yet, but it's logically developed and has good technical quality, which puts it leagues ahead of most of FFn already.

- CD
--

The Assassins' Archives: Ginevra
Assassin's Creed - AU
Rather interesting premise, spin the tech in the series out far enough and then toss it back in to the mix: What If a Da Vinci completed several of his masterpieces early? What if you introduced antibiotics into the Renaissance? Armed with foreknowledge from a future that she is running from, a renegade cyborg, an Assassin, and a Painter, set out to fight and change the future. History will never be the same - literally.
Begins mid-AC2.
(Last updated 7-11-11)
Not your typical insert.

The Assassins' Archives: Ginevra
Assassin's Creed - AU
Rather interesting premise, spin the tech in the series out far enough and then toss it back in to the mix: What If a Da Vinci completed several of his masterpieces early? What if you introduced antibiotics into the Renaissance? Armed with foreknowledge from a future that she is running from, a renegade cyborg, an Assassin, and a Painter, set out to fight and change the future. History will never be the same - literally.
Begins mid-AC2.
(Last updated 7-11-11)
Not your typical insert.

MicroHue Wrote:The Assassins' Archives: Ginevra
Assassin's Creed - AU
Begins mid-AC2.
(Last updated 7-11-11)
Not your typical insert.
Not really an insert either, or at least, a very round-about one if it is. It's actually a x-over with Kage Baker's 'The Company' novels. The renegade cyborg mentioned is from those novels, though she does appear to be an OC. Not too bad (So far, I'm only partway through this).
(Also, while renegade cyborg probably brings images of the cyborg stomping some Templars into paste, the cyborgs of 'the company' novels are actually programmed to run away from danger so.. _probably_ not so much)
Edit: Okay, I'm wrong about the above. There is a whole lot of curbstomping later on. But in an amusing way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5368283/1/Forcibly_United

An interesting fic that has Ranma and Ryoga stuck together by magic bracelets, the only way to get them off?

Head to Roanapur.

Hilarity and madness ensures. 

http://pishoque.net/brian/fanfic/sympathy/
Durandall has just completed a new Haruhi Suzumiya fic titled Sympathy.
www.tthfanfic.org/Story-26937/batzulger ... erland.htm
Batzulger (the guy with all of the fics with Buffy in the military) is currently writing For the Motherland, a fic crossing BtVS and an obscure comic book about a magitech alternate Russia.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV