Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: The flipside of Sturgeon's Law

I think it's supposed to.
ETA:  When you're done exploding, think about the implications of her mention of "the Guardian Beast".

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I realized what was going on when it described what she wrote on the side of the Box, or rather, from her writing on the side of the Box (which was the real reason it worked, I'm sure.)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

My god, that was glorious. The execution was as mind-blowing as the premise. It is as close to a perfect short as I've ever read.

A side story to EPUs The Iron Age

http://www.eyrie-producti...docs/DCForumID21/77.html

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I can't believe this has never been recommended here before (at least not so far as I can tell from my cursory searches, but I've been known to overlook the obvious before).

A one-shot fic by Eliezer Yudkowsky: Peggy-Susie.
Sweet Skuld!  I had to bite my knuckles to keep from howling gleefully at this one.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7733386/1/ Harry-Potter-and-the-Puppet-of-Time

Time travel. It's always about Potter. Draco Malfoy doesn't like that fact, but there is no one else who has the power to change the world. Sending his memories to his younger self he hopes to create a better future.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Huh.  I just had that exact plot bunny pop into my head yesterday.  I dismissed it as unworkable.  Well, I suppose I must read it now.
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84

My issue with Peggy-Susie is that its a one-shot.. as a prolouge it'd be sweet, as it is its just going to knaw at me how awesome an entire fic would have been.

Zojojojo Wrote:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7733386/1/ Harry-Potter-and-the-Puppet-of-Time

Time travel. It's always about Potter. Draco Malfoy doesn't like that fact, but there is no one else who has the power to change the world. Sending his memories to his younger self he hopes to create a better future.
I got most of the way through the first chapter before giving up.  The prose was just hard to read, and the author wasn't able to keep his details straight.  For example, at one point, one of the characters states that the Malfoy's do not have a pensieve, as Lucius gave the one that belonged to their family to Voldemort, who hid it, and that they can't afford to buy another one (aren't the Malfoys supposed to be one of the richest families in Magical Britain?)  Then, further down the page, that same character uses the ancestral Malfoy pensieve for a rather horrific bit of personality murder.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Gabirel Blessing has a new story for the Halloween season, Eva crossed with an urban legend / internet meme: Don't Look.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Necratoid Wrote:My issue with Peggy-Susie is that its a one-shot.. as a prolouge it'd be sweet, as it is its just going to knaw at me how awesome an entire fic would have been.
Nah, It's good as a one shot. An entire fic would have just ended up disappointing you. It's nice in concept, but the source material just doesn't have the right framework to fill in gaps for a full fic of that tone. At most, it'd have to be a bunch of snapshots with big time-skips or random point in time scenes.
(That said, Anyone else see it coming? I got the crossover the moment I saw the THE BOX mentioned in conjunction with the title. Then I started gleefully grinning).

s3yang Wrote:
Necratoid Wrote:My issue with Peggy-Susie is that its a one-shot.. as a prolouge it'd be sweet, as it is its just going to knaw at me how awesome an entire fic would have been.
Nah, It's good as a one shot. An entire fic would have just ended up disappointing you. It's nice in concept, but the source material just doesn't have the right framework to fill in gaps for a full fic of that tone. At most, it'd have to be a bunch of snapshots with big time-skips or random point in time scenes.
(That said, Anyone else see it coming? I got the crossover the moment I saw the THE BOX mentioned in conjunction with the title. Then I started gleefully grinning).
Wait, what?  Crossover?  With what?  I thought it was just straight Calvin and Hobbes.
As for a full blown fic... it would be very difficult to pull off.  For certain, Calvin and Hobbes is a place where the impossible is not only just common place, it's also as inconsequential as the rulebook for Calvinball.  But that's the problem as well.  Plots, if any are to be had, must be as short lived and brilliant as an illumination flare.  Perhaps there can be an over-all plot involved... but this must be kept far to the back, mostly hidden from sight, until the time is just perfect to bring it to an epic conclusion... and in the end, Calvin goes home to eat whatever poison his mother concocted in the kitchen for dinner, fight his way through a bath, and spend a few hours matching wits with the monsters under his bed with Hobbes.
If one were to attempt to write such a fic, the one writer that I suggest you emulate the most (besides Bill Waterson himself) would be Diane Duane, because she has an uncanny ability to put engaging, quirky, and utterly delightful characters into story lines with fulfilling 'life goes on' endings.

I agree, Ms Duane is a wonderful writer to emulate.

Meanwhile, I've been toying with my own little SI over in BROB-land.

http://forums.spacebattle...eart-of-black-si.238816/

"Heart of Black".

Q has given Bellatrix Black a teenage bratling.

Me.

Be amused. Be very amused.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I'm no SpaceBattler, so I have to give my feedback here. And my first comment: Bellatrix was born a Black and married into the Lestrange family. It should be "Bellatrix Lestrange, née Black", not the other way around. (EDIT: OK, you've explained this part.) And having read only the first part, Q's messing around with your iPod makes me think he's made you a Duane-ish Wizard, as well as a witch, which would be awesome.
EDIT: I am very interested in seeing where this goes. And I like these saner, more tolerant (or at least better at controlling their prejudices) Blacks.

http://www.fanfiction.net...e-with-political-science

Darcy Lewis, being experienced in keeping Jane Foster somewhat attached to reality, finds herself handling the Avengers media image, trying to seduce Bruce Banner, and (Perhaps the most terrifying job of all) helping Pepper Potts babysit Tony Stark.

http://forums.spacebattle...the-broken-sword.239384/

http://forums.spacebattle...hreads/the-seeker.149068

Master Arminas has provided us with some new Battletech.

In 'The Seeker', he continues his exploration of the Goliath Scorpions, into the era of the WoBblies, as we follow the tale of a Jade Falcon elemental taken as a Scorpion bondsman.

'The Broken Sword' takes us back to the days of the Fall of the Star League, with Commanding General Alexander DeChevalier faced with some difficult choices...

http://forums.spacebattle.../ch0sen-btvs-znt.237640/

'Ch0sen' brings us yet another Zero no Tsukaima crossover, in which Louise's summoning gets interrupted by OH FRACK HELLMOUTH.

http://forums.spacebattle...eart-of-black-si.238816/

And I've updated my own 'Heart of Black'.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

ECSNorway Wrote:http://forums.spacebattle.../ch0sen-btvs-znt.237640/

'Ch0sen' brings us yet another Zero no Tsukaima crossover, in which Louise's summoning gets interrupted by OH FRACK HELLMOUTH.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one.

Okay... no.  No.  Calvin and Hobbes is easily able to cover those kind of things.  All it takes is having those delusions of Calvin's not actually being delusions.  All it takes is Spaceman Spiff needing to be on Earth to fight something and to show Calvin is actually manifesting him somewhere else... Calvin being Calvin hasn't gotten the entire staying still with doing that thing.
Hobbes is actually more Guardian Beast than not.  They have Hobbes left home alone and when they get back he is in a different room... and something chased off (or ate) some burglars.  His mom is baffled on how Hobbes moved.  This is canon.  He does constantly get tackled when he gets home... and he often forgets about it and gets nailed.  Try figuring out the mechanics of such a mobile sport as Calvinball without Hobbes being this way.
You have to remember that Calvin is single digit years old.  Its easy enough to take those details and run with it.  It could take hundreds of kilobits of text even get to puberty here.  You could easily cross it over with Ben10 and have bounty hunters come to Earth looking for the dread Spaceman Spiff.  The question of if someone could pull it off or not is another issue.

So... Calvin's parents as Haruhi and Kyon?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Necratoid Wrote:Okay... no.  No.  Calvin and Hobbes is easily able to cover those kind of things.  All it takes is having those delusions of Calvin's not actually being delusions.  All it takes is Spaceman Spiff needing to be on Earth to fight something and to show Calvin is actually manifesting him somewhere else... Calvin being Calvin hasn't gotten the entire staying still with doing that thing.
Hobbes is actually more Guardian Beast than not.  They have Hobbes left home alone and when they get back he is in a different room... and something chased off (or ate) some burglars.  His mom is baffled on how Hobbes moved.  This is canon.  He does constantly get tackled when he gets home... and he often forgets about it and gets nailed.  Try figuring out the mechanics of such a mobile sport as Calvinball without Hobbes being this way.
You have to remember that Calvin is single digit years old.  Its easy enough to take those details and run with it.  It could take hundreds of kilobits of text even get to puberty here.  You could easily cross it over with Ben10 and have bounty hunters come to Earth looking for the dread Spaceman Spiff.  The question of if someone could pull it off or not is another issue.
Aauuuaauurghh...
It's easy enough to plot.  The plot is not the problem as Waterson has left plenty of fun little holes in there where Occam's Razor applies...  The real problem is that it's hard as all hell to write and get the feel of it to perfectly reflect the feel of reading one of Waterson's comics - the man has set the bar that high.
ECSNorway Wrote:So... Calvin's parents as Haruhi and Kyon?
BWAAAAAAAAAHHH-HAH-HAAAAA!!!
You evil evil man you...
You wrote that... and it reminded me of this...
(Not the blog post, the comic itself.)
BTW: Haruhi and Kyon being his parents would be utterly freakin' perfect.  Kyon, utterly gleeful in his sarcasm as he warps Calvin's worldview as he explains things like where babies come from... Haruhi, gritting her teeth and wondering where the hell she went wrong as she deals with the various curve-balls her gender-flipped replicant is throwing her.  Utterly.  Freakin'.  Perfect.
Of course, this would all be after Haruhi knows what she can really do and has some limits set on it (shades of Kyon: Big Damn Hero anyone?)... but now they have a kid named Calvin... and Haruhi's been working pretty hard to keep her son's wild imagination from altering the world too much.

http://yudkowsky.net/other/fiction/
The author of "Peggy Susie"' has other works, some of which may be familiar to some of you :-)

Killing Elvis

http://archiveofourown.or...ks/37677?view_adult=true

Based on the Aliens (As in xenomorphs) Series.

It is comedy.

IT IS FUCKING HILARIOUS.
Edit: Go read everything the author ever wrote. I seem to recognize at least one or two of them, so someone here probably recced a few of them.

Call Home -- a BTVS-centered megacrossover complete in only three short chapters. "Newbies to the Council don't quite know what to make of Xander Harris."

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Some new Naruto recs - YMMV, but I plan to be following these:

The Eyes Have it Most people seem to think that developing a doujutsu is a wondrous, unspeakably lucky occurrence. Considering that she now has to deal with an ability she has no idea how to use, family drama, fashion crises, and the world's most rude and vulgar doctor, on top of getting to know her new genin team just after graduation...needless to say, Sakura begs to differ.

This is AU, starting a month or so prior to the Genin placement exams. It has (good) OC's and Sakura ending up on a different team, because of her eye changes. Sakura is slowly developing Naruto!funkyEyes - but it's an unknown doujutsu, so there is no curbstompage. The writing is fun - although I think it's one of those 'write as much as you can in a month' things so the chapters are short.

Iruka Sensei After a tragic accident, it is left up to Umino Iruka to become the Jounin-sensei of Team 7.

This is on a slow update schedule but it has one of the best badass!Iruka I've ever seen. Iruka's Genin test (Chapter 4) is a thing of beauty. Also, the whole Omake at the end of chapter 3 probably should go into the ROTFLOL thread - but I have placed the best part of it (IMHO) up there.

Edit:

Average: Oneshot collection - Shikamaru meets a girl he can actually hold a civilized conversation with  Shika/Ten

Shika and Ten meet in Ten's last year at the academy and decide they are the only sane people in the program - and so pledge to keep each other sane, using typical ten and eleven year old logic. The resulting accidental rivalry between Shika and the trio of Sasuke/Neji/Lee - because Ten keeps pointing out logical reasons for Shika to improve (with Shika treating as them as rabid fanbois) - is hands down one of the funniest concepts I've read in a Naruto fic in ages.

Another slow updater - but I laughed so much in parts, I cried. Should be classed as crack! - but the paring not only works though each one-shot, but builds into logical, heart-warming, laugh-out loud, character building - outside of the typical clichés - for these two, often underused, characters.

New eyrie shorts on the forum. I can't yet speak for the two parter, but I enjoyed the Batman.

Probably good in general, but it was perfect for my current mood of sleep deprived and bored, with emotions tending towards the nasty side of things. This might not be the perfect thread, but I can't be bothered to find the correct eyrie thread.