Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
(11-08-2022, 04:44 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Why am I not surprised that the wiki's been throwing up a "technical difficulties" page for a while now?  No matter what Miraheze does, it seems like the more things change the more they stay the same.

The freebie wiki's giving the same errors. The private wiki is not.

So it isn't Miraheze-wide...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Do we have a trope for Summoning Sickness a la Magic: The Gathering where whatever's summoned (slash-brought onto the playing field-slash-enters the current world the story is focusing on-slash-et cetera) is impaired in some manner, e.g. can't attack that turn?
Not that I'm aware of. And I can't think of any other examples of the trope, either.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Resleeving sickness, or whatever it's called, from Altered Carbon might be similar enough...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-10-2022, 12:13 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Resleeving sickness, or whatever it's called, from Altered Carbon might be similar enough...

Sounds like it - there's also the live beta of NetHack's 3.7 update that now leaves you confused or stunned after stepping on a square with a level teleport trap or a magic portal (where it was previously just mentioned in the accompanying message). Far as other card games, there's the Toon archetype from YGO, and various card effects can Summon a monster while also impairing it (temporarily or otherwise) it in some manner, e.g. "Instant Fusion" - that would definitely include examples of "proper" Summoning Sickness.

Incidentally, in the original YGO anime Fusion Monsters couldn't attack the turn they were made if I remember right.
Miraheze is slower than molasses in January right now - I'm getting "504 Gateway Timeout" errors everywhere.

I think I've had enough fighting with the wiki today.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<sigh> It would appear Miraheze needs new hamsters to power the servers. When you can open a page link, go off and do something else for five minutes, and come back to see the page still isn't loaded, something's definitely wrong.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Especially annoying when one is trying to clean up the "Discworld" pages and the pages that link to them. (Status report on this project: 35 books to go.)

I'm trying to come up with a wording for the Phabricator ticket that doesn't imply this is the fault of migrating to the "new file storage software (Swift)", because the timing doesn't line up.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Dunno what happened, but it looks like the hamsters have actually died. I've had more 502s, 503s and 504s in the last fifteen minutes or so than I've actually gotten readable pages (I'm on the TNB wiki at the moment, but I'm sure things are the same on ATT).
-- Bob

Whatever the problem is, it's also affecting Meta.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
When was this approved by the tropers as Wiki Policy? I don't recall ever seeing the discussion about it.

For now, I've put a cleanup tag on the page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-11-2022, 07:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: When was this approved by the tropers as Wiki Policy? I don't recall ever seeing the discussion about it.

History says this, according to Geth's edit summary.
(11-11-2022, 08:27 PM)Umbire Wrote:
(11-11-2022, 07:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: When was this approved by the tropers as Wiki Policy? I don't recall ever seeing the discussion about it.

Presented in an out-of-the-way channel, with no apparent discussion and no apparent sign-off.

Not Wiki Policy. (Yet.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-11-2022, 08:43 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(11-11-2022, 08:27 PM)Umbire Wrote:

Presented in an out-of-the-way channel, with no apparent discussion and no apparent sign-off.

Not Wiki Policy. (Yet.)

Much obliged for catching that. Despite no overt opposition to it, I agree, it should have been put to a more formal vote first, and I will defer to community judgment on their approval or disapproval.
I'm pretty sure I never saw the original proposal.

There's a rule of thumb we have on a couple pages, including All The Tropes:How to Get a Rule Changed, that probably should have applied here:

Quote:Lack of response by the other users is not to be considered approval of the change. You need explicit "Yes" votes, not simply an absence of people saying "No". Disinterest or apathy from other users means you haven't made your case.
-- Bob

Just a heads up: Users Kitaro and Brennacollins06 are the same person: The latter resubmitted an edit made by the former with changes made based on the advice given about it. Compare Kitaro's edit and Brennacollins06's edit. I'm going to drop a note about our view regarding multiple accounts on both user talk pages.
-- Bob

For sake of conversation and curiosity, how do you guys mark unpatrolled edits that were page creations? I was having trouble doing so myself when sifting through recent additions (for example stuff like this specific revision) and I wanted to know.
There is a tool that slides out a little graphical menu thing on the right edge of pages; one of the options -- the fourth one, looks like a checkmark -- gives the option to mark the page as reviewed (or remove its "reviewed" status) and even lets you input a little note to the page creator or whoever originally reviewed the page if it's already been reviewed, if you want.
-- Bob

Ah that - feels obvious now you mention it. 6_9 Thanks.
Looks like the Babel bot is creating dozens of empty, uncategorized categories. I've added them to Category:Wikipedia template categories but I can't do much about adding them to pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-14-2022, 04:02 PM)robkelk Wrote: Looks like the Babel bot is creating dozens of empty, uncategorized categories. I've added them to Category:Wikipedia template categories but I can't do much about adding them to pages.

That's normal. If the Babel extension detects any foreign language content, it makes a pre-piped category page for it to save time later when searching for stuff like all users with a certain language proficiency (will show all pages with those userboxes in the category). Babel can have a delay adding stuff, depending the size of the database and the server power for the bot scan it does by default.
Keeping watch on Recent Changes as usual, and... this new user sure looks promising. [/pointed sarcasm]
I'm hoping that the tone is just post-ban anger.

I've left a reply, so that Bob doesn't have to. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
At minimum it makes me wonder exactly what they got banned for... here's hoping I'm wrong on this call, though.
(11-15-2022, 12:40 AM)Umbire Wrote: At minimum it makes me wonder exactly what they got banned for... here's hoping I'm wrong on this call, though.
Went searching and sure enough - seems they caught a case of Small Name, Big Ego and only dug themselves deeper when asked to apologize. The original offense seemed to be Edit Warring according to the thread, and they picked up additional ones for violating YMMV policy and generally being too wrapped up in promoting their own work.

On a tangent, apparently they're still dealing with recent bouts of Complete Monster fanaticism over at TVT - I don't envy them, that was aggravating when it derailed shit over here.