Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps -- the brainstorming thread

Sorry folks, for not getting these into the "main" thread yet. I'm dead on my feet right now, but I promise, soon...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Sorry folks, for not getting these into the "main" thread yet. I'm dead on my feet right now, but I promise, soon...
You're busy - this is lower priority than making sure you get through the first month at your new job, after all.

Nanostep, nanostep, who's got the nanostep... ah, here's one:

"Oh, you're such a comedian." Dan looked at me with disgust. Laurie started crying. Puzzled, I asked, "Was it something I said?"

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The thing I love about the Bill & Tedd one is that, despite its brevity, it works in a callback. A nanostep within a nanostep.

Glidergun Wrote:I was relieved to learn that I hadn't gone deaf, and that the reason that I couldn't hear anything was that there simply weren't any sounds to hear. The signs were an effective method of communicating around that restriction, though not an efficient one.
On the other hand, I would clearly need to deal with this "Soundkeeper" myself. I didn't trust a young boy to be able to handle a sorceress who could accomplish a feat of that magnitude.
What's this one?  I don't recognize it.
-- Bob
---------

Looks like your formatting and code are off on the new posts to the master list, Bob.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I'm not too surprised people didn't recognize that one, it's a fairly minor bit in the story I thought would interact interestingly with Doug's powers. It's

Thanks, Ebony. Fixed now. And thanks, Glidergun. I know the story, but it's been literally decades.
-- Bob
---------

Uhh, Bob? when you copied my suggestions over, you broke the Power Rangers nanostep into two, and the Bill and Ted one isn't up at all.

<blinks> <looks>

Well. That'll teach me to consolidate entries when I'm getting drowsy.

Fixed now.

-- Bob
---------

It was the first time in several days I had seen any activity
that wasn't from those annoying robot walkers. 
Don't get me wrong, they were fun to fight, and they weren't
expecting me.  But, it was getting a little
monotonous.  There were two kids -- mid-to-late
teen boys -- by the looks of them, scavenging through the buildings.  They were both packing submachine guns, so I
was approaching cautiously.
"She's pretty cute and all, but she's really not all that."  The bigger of the two boys stated, moving
some debris.  "Lousy lay, and now she
wants to talk about ‘our relationship' all the time.  Fuck her!"
"Fuck that noise!" 
The second kid balled up a fist and punched the first one in the
face.  He fell, but only out of surprise.
"What the hell, man!" 
The first kid seemed, genuinely, surprised.
"Don't talk about her like that!"  The smaller kid was seriously beating on him,
tears streaming down his face.  "You don't
get to talk about her like that!" 
The bigger kid was showing a lot of restraint.  "Jesus, dude, get a handle on yourself."  He wasn't hitting back, more trying to
wrestle the smaller kid out of the fight. 
I knew my cue and jumped in.
"All right, you two," I barked, in my authority figure
voice.  "Stop fighting."
The smaller kid winced and spun around, the bigger kid just
stared at me, like he'd seen a ghost.  "How
are you up and around, dude?" he asked, dumbfounded.  "You're old."
I think my heart broke, a little bit, right then.

All right tropers, wanna guess?

As worlds go, this wasn't the oddest one I had found. Or so I thought. It was clearly Earth, but quite different from any Earth I had been to previously. Or so I thought. And then the demons came to party in the middle of a trade district. So there I was, helping out when I could, when a blonde in a barely there leather outfit rushed past me, fighting what looked like a salamander with a whip made of golden hearts.

Wait, what?

I lost her in the chaos, however, but a quick scan of the area afforded me a glimpse of twin streamers of blonde hair exiting into alleyway that someone promptly blocked off with a rather expensive car. Setting my jaw as I made my way in that direction, my suspicions were confirmed at the sight of a blonde woman squaring off with another blonde, one that I knew quite well. And kneeling before her, raven hair shrouding her face, was unmistakably Sailor Mars.

Just what had I found my way into now?
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Quote:All right tropers, wanna guess?
Oh boy. That's a, uh, special place for Doug to end up in. There's no way that could end happily.

Quote:HoagieOfDoom wrote:

Oh boy. That's a, uh, special place for Doug to end up in. There's no way that could end happily.
And that was, after trying several times, the mildest way I could do it.  I've told Ben, in the past, that setting is messed up--Bokurano-levels of messed up.

chibipoe Wrote:As worlds go, this wasn't the oddest one I had found. Or so I thought. It was clearly Earth, but quite different from any Earth I had been to previously. Or so I thought. And then the demons came to party in the middle of a trade district. So there I was, helping out when I could, when a blonde in a barely there leather outfit rushed past me, fighting what looked like a salamander with a whip made of golden hearts.

Wait, what?

I lost her in the chaos, however, but a quick scan of the area afforded me a glimpse of twin streamers of blonde hair exiting into alleyway that someone promptly blocked off with a rather expensive car. Setting my jaw as I made my way in that direction, my suspicions were confirmed at the sight of a blonde woman squaring off with another blonde, one that I knew quite well. And kneeling before her, raven hair shrouding her face, was unmistakably Sailor Mars.

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:
chibipoe Wrote:As worlds go, this wasn't the oddest one I had found. Or so I thought. It was clearly Earth, but quite different from any Earth I had been to previously. Or so I thought. And then the demons came to party in the middle of a trade district. So there I was, helping out when I could, when a blonde in a barely there leather outfit rushed past me, fighting what looked like a salamander with a whip made of golden hearts.

Wait, what?

Spoiler [+]
On A Clear Day You Can See Forever - A Ranma/Sailor Moon AU fanfic by Mark MacKinnon
Someone on the site's guest book claims that they've looked up the info, and that the site expires in August. They suggest that anyone interested in the fic (which is very good even if it is incomplete) should copy it before it disappears (www.shadowchronicles.net).
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Quote: I've told Ben, in the past, that setting is messed up--Bokurano-levels of messed up.
Off-topic, but after reading Narutaru I refuse to read Bokurano. Reading the TVTropes page hasn't inclined me anymore; it's just too damn bleak.

~*~

My benefactor stared at me impassively from across the fire, idly stirring a pot of baked beans that hung above it.

"I find it difficult to believe," he said in Russian-accented English, "that you would end up here and not know anything about where you are."

I shrugged. "I just found myself in this place by happenstance; I guess I wasn't looking where I was going."

His expression told me that he didn't believe me for a second. Which is funny since it was the absolute truth.

"Well," he continued, "that you don't know Russian won't be of great detriment; most folks 'round here know at least some English. Most folks aren't as friendly as me, though, so watch yourself.

"Since you appear to be an ignoramus, let me clue you in. Don't move about alone; even the experienced ones try not to go solo from town to town. Avoid travelling at night or in dark places. Anything weird may be valuable, or it might kill you. Or both. Watch out for mutants. If a blowout occurs, and you'll know one when you see one, find cover as quickly as possible."

With a quick sniff he stopped stirring the beans and grabbed two bowls from his pack.

"And whatever you do, avoid getting closer to the reactor. Nobody returns. Or if they do, they are... changed."

He handed me a full bowl and a spoon and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Welcome to the Zone, Mister Sangnoir. Try not to get killed."

Shepherd Wrote:
Quote:
Someone on the site's guest book claims that they've looked up the info, and that the site expires in August. They suggest that anyone interested in the fic (which is very good even if it is incomplete) should copy it before it disappears (www.shadowchronicles.net).
A quick whois shows the domain name does expire in August of 2012. I'd say he's got it on auto-renew. Wish he'd pick it back up, though. :/
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

For obvious reasons, none of them had ever heard of a "Song-Song Fruit" before, but they seemed more willing to believe that I had discovered it than that my metatalent came from something else entirely. I let them believe what they wanted; if the government ever found themselves relying on that weird rock to subdue me, they'd be in for a nasty surprise.

Pronounced "shy guy."

Here's another one from me.

Of all the places to find myself after a gate transition, aboard a train was far from the weirdest. Still, there was definitely something odd in the air. I could feel it, almost twisting, as I tried to extricate the bike from what seemed to be some rather choice furniture that it'd gotten jammed up in. After a minute or so, though, the feel had gone from noticeable to fingernails-on-chalkboard annoying, and I peered out between the slats of the car walls to see what I could see.

The town around the tracks looked normal, at first. I'd estimate the tech level as 1890's to 1920's at highest. Nothing seemed particularly out of place until I saw -it-. The portal, was the only word I could think of for it, arcing hugely above the buildings, and the tracks lead directly into its maw. Well, that decided -that-. I redoubled my efforts to get the bike out from where it was stuck.

Too late. The train sped up as it approached the portal, and I could feel the energy of the thing rolling over me as we approached it... and then passed through. The transition left me on the floor, emptying my guts into the furniture, hoping that I could finagle a way out of this before whoever it was intended for found out what had happened to it.

I'd just finally managed to extricate the bike from its prison when the door at the side of the car blew in. Perched on the edge, amidst the remains, were two women, twins, each with wild and spiky blonde hair. One was dressed in a rather nice duster and jeans, the other looked like a refugee from 'Barbie does Bondage', but both were sporting paired daisho and pistols. All in all, it made for an impressive sight.

The sensibly-dressed one reached out a hand to me. "Come with us if you want to live."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

"But, sir, there's a dragon on that island."

That was enough to catch my interest - it wasn't very often that I heard about a dragon in the Caribbean, especially in a world with technology that approached my home's from back around when I was born. "I'd like to see a real dragon. Would you take me to it, please?"

He looked even more afraid when I made that request. "That's a bad idea, mister..."

"Sangnoir. Doug Sangnoir."

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The kid gave me lazy, irritated look.  "May I ask why you tried to kill my head butler?"
"He's a demon."
Shock flickered across the kid's face for a split second before being replaced by a cold, calculating expression.  "Sebastian, bring Mr. Sangnoir to my study.  I would like to have a word with him."

Azunth Wrote:"He'd a demon."
Well, who wouldn't a demon.

I kid, I kid. You may want to change that "d" into an "s".

~*~

"Mister Sangnoir, can you tell me where you were last at the time of the murder?"

"Well gee Detective Phelps, I'd love to, but you wouldn't believe a word that came out of this Loon's mouth."

"Waaaah, you can see me?!" the utterly adorable little girl asked, practically tumbling over herself. If you'd told me a few universes back before I met Skuld that this little thing was a goddess, I'd have probably laughed in your face.

And verified afterwards. Deities are crafty like that.

Nonetheless, she seemed harmless by divine standards, which was to say that the clumsiness and general well-meaning towards humans seemed to be genuine rather than an act. If not for the small horns, one chipped on the tip, and the occasional moments when I caught her not paying attention to me and could see the age gap between her appearance and the ancient being that lurked under it, I'd almost have considered myself paranoid for keeping an "ear" open around her. In fact, as I watched, she glanced back at me, her face falling slightly.

"You're afraid of me, aren't you?" she murmured. "And you don't even know the legend yet. Why?"

I blinked, having not thought I'd been that obvious. "Well...it's not fear, exactly. More like...caution. I've run into others like you who aren't so nice, and it's a hard habit to break."

She tilted her head to one side, before tapping her forefingers together. "You don't have anything to be afraid of from me, really. I'm really just a powerless god, this is so."
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Higurashi maybe? That's an universe I'd like to see Doug visit... mostly to summon a Wetter Hexe instance, that she may sow a certain blonde what a REAL god is.

nemonowan Wrote:Higurashi maybe?
Got it in one. In terms of series that I'd love to see Doug utterly wreck the existing status quo, Higurashi features highly. :lol
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."