Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project

I don't know how this happened, but the page found under the name Cloudcuckoolander is anything but...
Edit:  And most if not all WMG pages seem to have lost their subheadings, which have all been replaced with "$1".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Edit by Bob:  Well, crap.  I thought I was quoting your message, Brent, and it turned out I had somehow ended up editing it instead.  And I can't recover the original text.  Insert vast amounts of profanity here.
-- ∇×V

Like I said, not using any series-identifiable items.

Whatever was done to quotes also seems to have killed line breaks within them. (See "Said Bookism" for an example under Literature.)

What happens to pages that have already been edited if you redo the import?

-Morgan.

They get deleted, sadly. Sorry about that.

That was an actual fresh bug, but I refreshed the "Said Bookism" page with the fixed code. GethN7 reported another related one about backslashes on the ends of lines; that one is resolved now too.

Maybe I should upload my code to github just so I can get an issue tracker.
-- ∇×V

Guess I should keep revising offline pages I'm interested in. What happens to member watchlists and whatnot during a re-import?
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob SchroeckGuess I should keep revising offline pages I'm interested in. What happens to member watchlists and whatnot during a re-import?

You should be notified via your watchlist/email (if you changed your user preferences for this) the page has changed if the page was reimported, as the reimported version would count as another revision of the same page.

On TV Tropes, due to using PmWiki, they saved the new edits but not the entire page proper, just the differences between the old and new page changes. If you edited a page that was reimported, you could go to the page history, compare the diffs, and, assuming you wanted to incorporate the old changes into the reimported article, the MediaWiki version of page history makes it quite easy to cherry pick your changes in case you haven't saved them beforehand because it saves complete copies of the old and new pages with the changes highlighted in side by side view.

If you wish, you could also save your changes for certain pages in your sandbox area. There is a gadget in the user preferences called "My Sandbox" that puts a link to a personal sandbox (i.e. -User:Example/sandbox) in your userspace, and you can use this to store edits to certain pages you wish to reincorporate at a later date into certain pages. You can also use your userspace to store page drafts (i.e. -User:Example/New Trope Page), then, since users can move pages, you can have that page moved to the main namespace when you feel that draft is ready for publishing. You'll want to make a link on your userpage for all the pages in your userspace if you do this (so you can keep track of it easier).

Okay, cool.

Soemthing else I noticed before start of work today:

Some subpages are missing their master pages -- shows/books/etc are missing but their YMMV, Heartwarming, etc. pages are there trying to reference them. Drunkard's Walk is one such, Ah My Goddess (Manga) is another.
Edit:  quotes on quote pages, such as http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Fin ... re)/Quotes, are missing any attributions they might have possessed.  I entered most of the quotes on this particular page, so I can affirm the attributions existed and are gone.
Edit 2:  http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Laconic has a link going right to TVT in it.  We apparently lack all the Laconic pages.   
-- Bob
---------

Bob, I already mentioned that the import wasn't complete, and we're missing 1/3 of pages.  Since the order was random, it's entirely possible that subpages are missing their parent.
The quotes thing on Finnegans Wake is a combination of several factors, some of which were tied up in the template being used wasn't processing the authors, part of it was in line splitting, and part of it was in finding the author.  Seriously, quotes are difficult to change from:--> Line 1--> Line 2 \Line 3---> -– Author
into:{{quote| Line 1
 Line 2
 Line 3 | Author }}Anyway, there's a new working version of the quotes page up.
Oh right, we are missing Laconic on everything.  That's the leftover of an earlier design decision that would have page summaries, but I don't think we'll have that.  Let me mediate on that.
-- ∇×V

I hope no one minds a lurker butting in, but I had a submission for a logo design that's been simmering in my brainpan for quite awhile now. I *think* it meets all the design guidelines, as I've seen written so far, and is at least halfway memorable...
[Image: atttranslogofin_zpsdb20297f.png]
...sort of a 60s Mod/Art Nouveau type pastiche, among other things. Any thoughts or criticisms?

Quote:vorticity wrote:
Bob, I already mentioned that the import wasn't complete, and we're missing 1/3 of pages.  Since the order was random, it's entirely possible that subpages are missing their parent.
Right.    For some reason I was thinking they were coming in in related clusters.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Ranchoth wrote:
...sort of a 60s Mod/Art Nouveau type pastiche, among other things. Any thoughts or criticisms?
Groovy!    Actually I do like it.
You know, assuming we can polish up some of the other images, why should we limit ourselves to just one logo?  We can do the Google Doodle thing...
-- Bob
---------

Ranchoth Wrote:I hope no one minds a lurker butting in, but I had a submission for a logo design that's been simmering in my brainpan for quite awhile now. I *think* it meets all the design guidelines, as I've seen written so far, and is at least halfway memorable...

It has two advantages the other proposals don't:
1) It has the site name in it.
2) It's recognizable at 16x16 pixels.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

There is that, indeed.
-- Bob
---------

robkelk Wrote:It has two advantages the other proposals don't:
1) It has the site name in it.

... Mine doesn't? '.'

Now, I'm obviously going to be biased, but if you ignore the text, there's really nothing about the design that says "tropes" more than it says, for example, "Bar & Grill".

-Morgan.

Much smaller print on yours, Morgan. I didn't realize it had the wiki name in it at first glance; I had to study it a bit.

Oh, while I'm posting something:

I don't know if this is global or not, but I've just noticed that on at least some trope entries the horizontal rule + "Examples" header are missing from between the main text and (naturally) the examples.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Cloudcuckoolander page: what the squid is this? Looks like it generates a proper import file -- let me look at the XML and see if something is fishy. Hm, this is not kraken helping. Oh, somehow Badass and Cloudcuckoolander got inkcorrectly indexed as each other. Fixed.

It's not just indexes, unless I misunderstand what you mean. Apparently the actual trope names on (at least some) work/artist pages were changed, as well. For instance, I was just on http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Tiny_Tim_(Music)]this page, which insisted that the reason Tiny Tim became a subject of fascination in the 1960s was because he was a badass. (I fixed that before coming here.)
-- Bob
---------

It's the same index. What I start with are files named Main.Badass and
Music.TinyTim, and links to BadAss and Music/TinyTim in the document.
Both of them need to be rewritten to "Badass" and "Tiny Tim (Music)"
(actually "[[Tiny Tim (Music)|Tiny Tim]" in the link case). But in
either case, it's a matter of looking up the rewritten name in an index
for what the new file name is.
Quote:I hope no one minds a lurker butting in, but I had a submission for a
logo design that's been simmering in my brainpan for quite awhile now. I
*think* it meets all the design guidelines, as I've seen written so
far, and is at least halfway memorable...

Welcome lurkers!  I knew there had to be a few out there.  I like it, but it gives me the vague feeling that there should be a large green leaf in the background.  Not that this is a bad thing.
Remember, the same logo doesn't have to look good at 16x16 -- Wikipedia uses the letter "W", Google uses a "G", EPU uses just the "E".  Heck, our name is ATT, we could just use a Death Star at 16x16.
Quote:I don't know if this is global or not, but I've just noticed that on at
least some trope entries the horizontal rule + "Examples" header are
missing from between the main text and (naturally) the examples.
This is intentional.  The problem is that we're using the top level headers to separate out Anime/Live Action/* sections, and do section hiding with them.  So it's a bit hard to present "Examples" in a way that's bigger than that.  Unless... I make an examples template that acts kind of like a header.  Hm, maybe I'll do that.
Quote:You know, assuming we can polish up some of the other images, why should
we limit ourselves to just one logo?  We can do the Google Doodle
thing...
Oh, I've been through this dance before:
[Image: Wiki_Logo?sendfile=true;file=bikelogo.png]
But Google's approach is the correct one: establish a brand identity, and then vary it on occasion.  Every once in a while, completely change it, so you can have fun and get some word-of-mouth publicity for your site.
I'm not ready to make up my mind on the logo, since I'm more
concerned about the text data import.  Everyone's opinions are probably
going to be the major deciding factor.
-- ∇×V

New post because the last one was long. I have a content organization question. I looked at the Memetic Mutation page, which is entirely screwed up in the linking department. Solving the linking problem was fairly easy -- I just needed to reverse the polarity on some links. No, really.

The remaining issue on that page is the Memes namespace from TVT. We have Memes.LiveActionTV, Memes.VideoGames. And then we have Memes.LeagueOfLegends, Memes.FamilyGuy. So the question is -- do these belong as subpages of the works/genres in question, or subpages of the trope?
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:The remaining issue on that page is the Memes namespace from TVT. We have Memes.LiveActionTV, Memes.VideoGames. And then we have Memes.LeagueOfLegends, Memes.FamilyGuy. So the question is -- do these belong as subpages of the works/genres in question, or subpages of the trope?
MediaWiki allows for redirects, so "yes."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

WARNING: For the greater half of today, the database of ATT is being rebuilt with a new import to avoid leaving lots of red links due to various parsing errors. We have backed up everything new to ATT up until 11/1/2013.

If you want to edit, please wait until the database import is finished.

And, the entire text database is now online. The images are the next thing to go up. Everything seems to look much better, but we're still missing a few templates. I'll work on restoring the lost pages tomorrow.

Some things have not been imported, including foreign language stuff (we'll set this up if anyone asks), and user pages. If you have an old user page from TVT in wikicode form, feel free to send it to me, and I'll run it through my importer so you don't have to go find all the links.
-- ∇×V

Quote:And, the entire text database is now online.
I'm not so sure. I just recreated my user page, and there are still many red links -- including things like Tropes of Legend, Blackmail Is Such An Ugly Word, Cat Girl, The End of the World As We Know It, and Getting Crap Past The Radar. Now some of them might be markup problems on my side, but I don't think it's likely for all of them. I'll try to track them down as I continue converting the page, and confirm absence or presence.
Edit:  I just spotted this on the "Macekre" page, which has one footnote on it (at least judging from the lonely superscript "[1]" I found toward the bottom):
Template:ReflistCite error: tags exist, but no tag was found 
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck
Quote:And, the entire text database is now online.
I'm not so sure. I just recreated my user page, and there are still many red links -- including things like Tropes of Legend, Blackmail Is Such An Ugly Word, Cat Girl, The End of the World As We Know It, and Getting Crap Past The Radar. Now some of them might be markup problems on my side, but I don't think it's likely for all of them. I'll try to track them down as I continue converting the page, and confirm absence or presence.

Edit:  I just spotted this on the "Macekre" page, which has one footnote on it (at least judging from the lonely superscript "[1]" I found toward the bottom):

Template:Reflist
Cite error: tags exist, but no tag was found

That's where I come in, Bob. Now that the database is complete, I'll be readding things like the reflist template and others. Also, some of the pages are probably red due to the fact the server is slow to refresh. Try making a "null edit" and see if that clears things up.

Also, if there are any legitimate missing pages, let Vorticity know. As for me, just inform me if we are missing any templates or pages look weird. The reimport this time was far more successful, but I've going to have to run a bot to clean up some stuff anyway.

If you want to reach me, I can be found on our site IRC channel most of the time as GethN7, so just drop me a message and I'll look into it. Feel free to leave me a talk page message to as well, though IRC would be faster.

Go to the below page to find the IRC link

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/ATT_IRC_Channel

I'll try to come up with a list of genuine redlinked pages and get it to Brent, but to be honest, most of my access tends to be in a few free minutes here and there, often before work or during lunch, which is one reason why I'm editing a couple pages off-line. I'm aware of the IRC channel, I just haven't had the opportunity to visit it for any significant length of time, so I haven't tried. Yet.
-- Bob
---------

Bob, I believe I've figured why some pages didn't make it. Towards the end of the import, Orain had a hiccup in their CDN settings, and while fixing this, the mwdumper script terminated abruptly, so some pages didn't make the cut.

Fortunately, this is easy to fix by simply running the mwdumper again, as it will skip anything already added and just add anything not present. However, any pages you have edited will be overwritten with a new revision (the script treats anything not an exact match or missing from the XML source as something needing replaced/added), so I recommend putting those pages on your watchlist so you can revert back to your converted versions when we get the Orain staff member in charge of the dumping to resume.

They don't seem to be in today, so ASAP I will have them resume the script and import the images and missing pages.

We also have a bot account that automatically fixes mass amounts of markup/templating errors, so if you see a lot of these, please let me know and I'll do my best to fix the issue with my bot account if possible.

Update: I found the pages Tropes of Legend, Blackmail Is Such An Ugly Word, Cat Girl, The End of the World As We Know It, and Getting Crap Past The Radar, althougth under slightly different names. Due to how we had to parse the TVT information into MW, some of the alternate redirects may not have be imported completely. Combine that with the fact we're using a June 2012 version of information, and we have a lot that may differ with what is currently on TV Tropes.

I have added appropriate redirects for all of these terms, though their may be more. Still, please report any pages that are missing to Vorticity. Also, we have a gadget (a piece of code you can toggle in your user preferences) called "Alternate Redirects" that will list all the alternate titles (redirects) for a page that you may find useful.

I also am working on getting our search engine improved. It's horrendously slow due to the volume of info we have at present, so if you wish to find a certain page and come up blank, try alternate spelling in the search bar (for now), but I do plan to look into getting our search improved ASAP.