Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After learning about "The Gamer"...

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Well written crossovers for it are usually pretty good and ones where more time is spent on going out and doing things, but grinding stats and skills is always the most boring and thankless part of RPGs and reading about someone else doing it isn't very interesting either. The manhwa just infuriates me with Jee-Han's idiocy until I'm literally screaming at the screen, "WISDOM, MOTHERFUCKER! DO YOU HAVE IT? NO! NO! NO YOU DO NOT!"

Yeah, yeah, I know, "Teenager makes unwise decision! We'll have a feature on this shocking story at 11, and bring you more details as soon as they become available!" Still true, the more so because he openly scorns balanced characters in favor of utmost min-maxing, while I agree with Heinlein by way of Lazarus Long, that the strength of humans is in being adaptable generalists.

The general premise is interesting enough, as an RPG player, but the precise system and modeling it on the grindiest of MMO games... well, let's just say that all that grinding leads to chafing.

A unwise teen unwisely does not put stats in wisdom, does not get wiser, then further uses wisdom as a dump stat. [Image: emot-monocle.gif]

The one Harry Potter Gamer fic I read had Harry spend literal decades in the "tutorial" section, which was his life pre Hogwarts. He spent months simply jumping around so he could level his jump skill so he never would take a stamina hit for walking places. I stopped reading after that because what the shit?
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Seraviel - 10-24-2014, 11:47 PM
[No subject] - by ClassicDrogn - 10-24-2014, 11:53 PM
[No subject] - by LilFluff - 10-25-2014, 12:50 AM
[No subject] - by Shepherd - 10-25-2014, 02:07 AM
[No subject] - by Necratoid - 10-25-2014, 03:56 AM
[No subject] - by Herr Bad Moon - 10-25-2014, 04:37 AM
[No subject] - by ClassicDrogn - 10-25-2014, 04:39 AM