Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer help?
Computer help?
So, XP has a new update out, of sorts. As usual, it seems to've had a negative impact on my machine's stability. In an of itself, that's never been
more than an annoyance before, but this time, it went down while I was trying to reinstall OpenOffice, though personally I doubt that the 'new program'
has anything to do with the problem itself.

When my machine rebooted, it asked to run a disk-check on my C drive, which took a while... and when I finally got back to the 'user end', I found
that,

1. ) The taskbar no longer showed tabs for active programs, though the quick-launch and such were just fine. Minimizing programs either causes them to vanish
entirely or to show as shortened 'top bars' at the very bottom of the rest of the screen - apparently without rhyme or reason.

2. ) My sound no longer works - the box itself just 'boops' rather than playing any sound. The speakers are fine but MP3s don't play, nor does game
sound, nor video.

3. ) I can't cut, copy, paste, or otherwise move icons or files without opening them in a third party program and using 'Save As'.

System Restore reports that it is 'unable to protect my computer' and says to reboot and try again.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Messages In This Thread
Computer help? - by Valles - 06-04-2009, 03:20 AM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 06-04-2009, 03:52 AM
[No subject] - by Valles - 06-04-2009, 04:17 AM
[No subject] - by Wiregeek - 06-04-2009, 04:52 AM
[No subject] - by Valles - 06-04-2009, 05:12 AM
[No subject] - by Valles - 06-04-2009, 07:43 PM
[No subject] - by Valles - 06-04-2009, 08:31 PM