Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In a sane world, this would have been enough to disqualify him on the spot
RE: In a sane world, this would have been enough to disqualify him on the spot
Everyone is aware the judges are partisan, it's just the first time it's been so overt.  There's a difference between looking for a conservative interpretation of a law, and calling your problems "revenge for the Clintons".  I watched his testimony; while it seemed to cheer the GOP Senators, I thought it was just an awful showing.

Honestly, even if you assume the allegations of the women are false, I believe that there's enough to impeach Brett Kavanaugh from his post on the Federal Circuit Court.
  • I am almost certain he perjured himself in downplaying how much alcohol he drank while young, as there are many witnesses who said he drank a lot.  Saying "I like beer" several times in a single answer doesn't really help the case.
  • In what was essentially a job interview, he became angry at the people interviewing him several times, which showed he lacks judicial temperament.  I'd get angry too, but I'm also unqualified to be a judge.  A judge should respect the process, not lash out at those who are part of the process -- especially given that he had a week to prepare and calm down.
  • The blatant partisan attacks were so vehement that it calls into question his ability to avoid bias on any case that touches on politics.  On both the Supreme Court and the Federal Circuit, that's most cases.
  • He misrepresented the law when he said that it was legal to drink at age 18, which was not possible during his lifetime where he lived.  I would expect judges to not lie about basic facts like that.
If Kavanaugh gets confirmed, I will consider him an illegitimate justice, one that has no right to hold the office.  Note that I don't feel that way about Justice Gorsuch, Trump's other appointee.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: In a sane world, this would have been enough to disqualify him on the spot - by Labster - 09-29-2018, 06:12 PM