Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another reason to not use Chrome
RE: Yet another reason to not use Chrome
I do tend to prefer using Firefox instead of Chrome - as noted, it's my "daily driver". I did use Opera for a time, but here's a thing; I require a bookmarks menu. I can't stand the idea that I'm expected to use either history, the bookmarks "bar", or even keeping open dozens of tabs. History is imprecise. The bookmarks bar has limited space. Dozens to hundreds of tabs is asking for a memory crash.

Multiple plugins and increasing "rattle" is just a common problem with any sort of add-on mechanism in general. But right now, I use uMatrix for script blocking, uBlock for ad blocking, Decentraleyes for other aspects of privacy control, and Privacy Badger to deal specifically with trackers that uMatrix and uBlock don't touch. It's kind of a wash with regards to performance; I get a hit from running the four, and make it up with reduction in loaded resources. Sometimes I do have to fiddle with uMatrix's granular controls to get some sites to work correctly; I really miss the days where a given site would work with links to maybe a handful of SUBdomains, and now it feels almost like some of them are in a competition to see who can make it practically impossible to run something like uMatrix and still use the web. This is actually a bigger reason I've been running Chrome and am trying to switch; I do pay bills online, and it's easier for me to work using a browser that I'm not having to fiddle with to get the payment processing to work.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
Yet another reason to not use Chrome - by robkelk - 01-23-2019, 08:23 AM
RE: Yet another reason to not use Chrome - by LynnInDenver - 01-26-2019, 10:29 AM