Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached
RE: Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached
It sounds a lot like Raj has never discovered historical documents in libraries before.  I have, and it's a wonderful feeling, getting a little glimpse into the history of the past.  It's entirely plausible that a piece of paper was just sitting in a box for sixty years, waiting for someone to read it, because that's been my experience. 

Provenance is mainly can you prove that the document was from the time.  Found in the expected institute, check.  Document agrees with anecdotal evidence, check.  No one has a real incentive to create this history, check.  Remember, the author wrote his own fictional version of the story before this version was found.  Like, you can continue to question all you want, but science works on preponderance of evidence.  At the very least, it's likely a proof did exist.  It may not be a correct proof, but given who Gödel was, you expect a certain degree of accuracy, though laws are not mathematical functions.

Anyway, the fragility of the American system of government is relatively well known.  As stated in xkcd #2003, "(For more, see the surprisingly gripping Second Report of the Continuity of Government Commission, June 2009.)"  I agree.  Start at page 17 -- page 19 in the pdf.  Incidents like these, or a well planned Reichstag Fire, would make the U.S. a de facto dictatorship.

Dartz Wrote:FPTP is deeply fucking broken for this reason. It's an almost childsih way of running an election. It makes sense to children - but when you explain why it doesn't, even children understand it. I was ten years old when a schoolteacher explained to me how shit the British system is, and how much better ours is. And it's true.
I'm sure that was a really hard sell, telling an Irish schoolchildren that the British government is shit.

But what we did find out recently is that FPTP countries are very vulnerable to misinformation campaigns.  This is a national security threat to the U.S. and U.K. now, because it's possible to manipulate people in such a way that they don't want their electeds to seek common ground, or even to work on common goals.

At this point, if Mitt Romney can't fulfill the prophecy, I'm starting to think it might be time to call a constitutional convention under Article V.  The main problem is that we can't know what will come out of it -- anything from a single sentence amendment, to a United States of Canada/Jesusland split.  I mean, this sounds bad, but the political situation in the U.S. is terrible.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Irish oddsmaker gives 33% chance Trump will be impeached - by Labster - 12-21-2019, 08:45 PM